I bought and downloaded Sccope for my Curve8530. No matter how hard I try, the barcode scanning absolutely will not work. All I get is the message saying it couldn't read the barcode and would I like to try again (which as I said NEVER works) or would I like to enter the barcode manually. The next problem comes when I try to enter it manually. It appears I get the results that way, but the barcode scanning camera window never goes away and covers virtually all the result info. The only way to close the camera window is to close the app. It is entirely useless to me. Can someone explain please what i'm doing wrong? The worst part is it seems I can't get my money back, so in essence I paid the Sccope people money for absolutely nothing. Is this a problem with me, with my Curve or is it a scam? Please someone help me with this???
    09-08-10 08:14 PM
    Hi spector58,

I work for Sccope. The barcode scanning technology does not work on devices without autofocus cameras. It can recognise barcodes sometimes, but the success rate is very low, which is why we disable the scanning feature in our app on devices without autofocus.

Unfortunately, the Curve 8530 does not have autofocus, so the scanning feature should not be available - but apparently it is (which sounds like a bug). (Technically speaking, there isn't a reliable way for our app to detect autofocus functionality.)

Very sorry to disappoint you. We're working very hard to improve the scanning technology, but we have a long way to go before it's feasible without autofocus.

The issue with the viewfinder never going away is a bug which has been fixed in the latest version (3.0.3) which you can download from AppWorld or from Sccope (sccope . com / blackberry).

I hope this helps. For further assistance, feel free to email feedback @ sccope . com. You can also follow Sccope updates on Twitter.

Best regards,

-Yann
    09-09-10 07:31 AM
    Thanks for the response Yann, though I gotta say I wish the makers of Sccope had mentioned it wouldn't work on my phone before I purchased it. I guess it's my fault for no downloading the trial first.

Anyway, I attempted to download the newer version to get the bug fixed, but it appears they want to charge my PayPal account all over again. It doesn't seem right to make me pay twice when it's just to fix a bug. Is there a way I could get a patch or something to fix it without paying for the app again?

Thanks again,

Denis
    Last edited by spector58; 09-09-10 at 09:13 AM.
    09-09-10 09:00 AM
    Hi Denis,

I agree, we should have made it more clear. We say something to that effect in the app description but it's not prominent enough. The trouble is that the description field is the only place we've got to put that kind of information up front, which isn't exactly ideal. Either way, someone here at Sccope towers has been tasked with making it more clear. ;-)

The PayPal side of things is handled completely by App World, but you really should not be prompted to pay more than once for the same app (even updates). For example, if you buy the app, then delete it, then go to download it again, App World will display the "Buy Now" button, but when you click it, it should say "You have already purchased this app" (or something like that) and then not charge you for it.

You can download the latest version from the Sccope web site (for free) and it'll recognise that you've purchased it through App World already. Alternatively, if you can tell me more about what's happening in App World, then I'll ask my friends at RIM and see if they know what's going on.

Best regards,

-Yann
    09-09-10 10:07 AM
    Thanks again Yann... I was able to download it from the site and the bug is indeed fixed!! You are tha Man!

Peace,

Denis
    09-09-10 10:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD