Ok so from what ive been reading you cannot save or run apps from a memory card, but the newest version of the BB app world will allow you to save an app to the card, but you still cannot run it from there, correct?

My question is how big of a deal is this? I know the fact that you cannot save or run apps from the card were mentioned in a few of the reviews?

this seems like a software issue to me and is there a possibility of it becoming a possibility in the future, with updates, or is it really not that big of an issue?
    08-17-09 06:30 PM
    That is correct. You can only archive your apps to your SD card. They cannot be run from the card. It will also keep the icon of the archived app so you would just need to run the app again to install it. Oh, and you have to reboot your device to finish archiving the app.

On the Tour this should not be a big issue. There are only so many apps that are worth installing. And many people have commented that they have plenty of application memory left after installing their old apps.

I am not sure if you would see this in the future. It may take a complete OS rewrite to achieve, with speed and security possibly being the limiting factors.
    08-18-09 08:12 AM
    Apps must be executed from device memory, that is part of the security measures on the BB. This question is asked regularly, and as of now, it doesn't really look like they are planning to change.

The security is part of why the BB is desirable in the business world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 08:29 AM
    Does anyone here know how to delete an archived App from the memory card? I had to do an OS reinstall and I have a few icons for archived Apps.
    08-18-09 08:45 AM
    Does anyone here know how to delete an archived App from the memory card? I had to do an OS reinstall and I have a few icons for archived Apps.
    Whats interesting is they are not archived on your SIM card but are in device memory. If you go to Media -> bb button -> Explore. Then Device Memory/BlackBerry/app_world/downloads/[Your PIN]. The apps are listed there.

Not sure if the icon goes away if you delete those files. If you go into App World, My World does it still show the archived apps? If so you could probably delete them from there.
    08-18-09 09:17 AM
    That is correct. You can only archive your apps to your SD card. They cannot be run from the card. It will also keep the icon of the archived app so you would just need to run the app again to install it. Oh, and you have to reboot your device to finish archiving the app.

On the Tour this should not be a big issue. There are only so many apps that are worth installing. And many people have commented that they have plenty of application memory left after installing their old apps.

I am not sure if you would see this in the future. It may take a complete OS rewrite to achieve, with speed and security possibly being the limiting factors.
    Apps must be executed from device memory, that is part of the security measures on the BB. This question is asked regularly, and as of now, it doesn't really look like they are planning to change.

The security is part of why the BB is desirable in the business world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I see. My main concern would be running out of memory and that doesnt seem to be much of an issue.
    08-18-09 12:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD