***New Information On Page 2***

Today I was at Lunch with a friend. We were sitting outside enjoying the awesome weather in IL having bread sticks while we talked. We were together from 3-5:30pm (CST). I put my Blackberry on the table.

I had my friend listen to 3 songs that were on my memory card at the very beginning of our lunch. I got a EMail from my Boss at 4:39pm and read it. Those are the only two times I touched my Blackberry.

Then when we were just about to leave, like 5:15pm, I opened up Facebook app to post that I had a great lunch and was going to go for a 4mi. walk now. For some reason Facebook wouldn't update the news feed or post my status update, it failed to post it.

So I open my BB Browser and go to the mobile Facebook site and put in my login info and it tells me somebody from a location it doesn't recognize tried logging into my account and that I need to login from a computer to review my activity history. hmmm, ok? Same thing happened when I tried the mobile touch website of Facebook, same messages.

I opened up BOLT(v2) browser thinking maybe it would be different and let me continue. Well I logged in and it told me the same thing. hmmmm, fine!

I got home a hour later and logged on. I entered my information. It then told me "There was a attempt to access your account from a location we don't recognize you normally logging in from.". ok, I knew that already.

I hit next and go through the Captcha code and then it tells me the IP that attempted to access my account is 206.53.157.105. It was from a Blackberry Device it said attempting to login through Facebook Mobile Site from a location in Canada at 4:35pm(CST). I'm almost positive I wasn't using my Blackberry then and even if I was I'm 110% sure I wasn't trying to access Facebook then.

I traced the IP and it came back to Research In Motion on 3 different websites and Visual Trace IP program.

My question is why would Research In Motion or somebody there even maybe be trying to log into my Facebook account? It locked my account completely out until I got home and went through the process.

Has anybody else every had this happen? Should I contact RIM about this? Is it like a breach of my privacy?

Thanks For Your Time,
    -Russell

Blackberry Storm 2 on VZW running .320(stock)
    Last edited by mchruss03; 04-08-10 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Attached Image For Larger View
    03-31-10 09:13 PM
    The IP address is always going to be routed back to RIM, as long as you're using their BIS/BES services...that's all that is...nothing to worry about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 09:21 PM
    For the last 4 months I have had my storm I have never had this happen to me and I've used Facebook since the start with my Storm 2.

Also why would it/somebody of been trying to access or log into my account as Facebook told me when I wasn't even using my phone?
    03-31-10 09:25 PM
    Heh, someone else I know just freaked out about this too... My guess is that one of the password servers went down for a few, or was messed up in some way, and it triggered a lock on the account.

Could have been bad communication between the berry and the tower as well resulting in a corrupted password.

End of it is that all the BIS traffic from your device comes from RIM servers located in Canada. No worries beyond facebooks questionable password servers

Your phone checks facebook for updates when you're not using it, that's most likely when the failure occurred.
    03-31-10 09:26 PM
    Mhmm, this has never happened to me. I don't think RIM would do that to somebody. They're very serious about security themselves.

03-31-10 09:53 PM
    I was telling a client a similar story today.

Our American friends have noticed, web content providers that use IP addresses to personalize content, like Google, think we all live in Waterloo Ontario.

03-31-10 09:59 PM
    Thats def weird!
    04-01-10 12:57 AM
    yeah I know. That really threw me off. I mean I know RIM knows my Facebook info and what not because I use the FB app.

It still threw me off and at first I was thinking well what could I have done in the last 24hrs. that would have leaked my usernames/password? Then when I saw the IP came from RIM I started thinking stuff like was there a leak, was somebody at RIM trying to login to my account for whatever reason....

I guess it sounds like I shouldn't really worry or don't have anything to worry about.
    04-01-10 08:02 AM
    "Totally updating this kids fb status from my office! ROFLMFAO!"
    04-01-10 08:26 AM
    thats hilarious!
    04-01-10 08:35 AM
    lmao. I was just being careful and seeing if anybody knew anything about it or if I had a reason to worry.
    04-01-10 10:31 PM
    hmm. never happened to me. I doubt RIM was trying to log in, though.
    04-01-10 11:10 PM
    Got up this morning, logged into facebook from my pc and i see this.

http: //i39.tinypic.com/34fk5dv.jpg

Delete the space in between : and //, as I can't post links yet
    04-02-10 06:57 AM
    I'm pretty sure a world wide company is not going to single out somebody and try to access their private account on a social network server.

I think you knew that too, but you're right about something here. Something went haywire.
    04-02-10 07:04 AM
    Did you go to the bathroom around that time? Maybe your friend grabbed it and tried to log in as you.
    04-02-10 09:51 AM
    I would guess there was a miscommunication between your blackberry app and your facebook server. I know I use Fuze Messenger, and sometimes it will have a miscommunication and drop service once in a while, then have to reconnect.

My totally made up theory is this: RIM recently redid their servers when upgrading our internet to 3.0.

Your blackberry then lost service for a minute, maybe all your bars disappeared for just 1 second while you were having lunch.

Your FB app on your phone tried to log back into your FB account, and FB not having linked with your bb since the update didn't recognize it and thought somebody was hacking it.

You traced the IP and of course it came back to RIM, because with blackberry servers the data goes from your phone to servers in Canada.

That's my crackpot guess. Just going based off the fact that this just happened to you the day after the server updates and based on the info provided.
    04-02-10 09:59 AM
    What your saying with the server (BIS 3.0) update I guess makes sense. And even if I were to go to the bathroom I would have taken my BB with me, haha!

I never really was worried about somebody logging into my Facebook. I posted it because I did find it weird and was looking for a explanation or if anybody had any idea what would have triggered it.

@ what guibenette said that is what I got when I logged into Facebook just with a different IP.
    04-02-10 11:36 AM
    It's just a guess. I don't claim to be any sort of smart techy guy, but it makes sense to me.

I mean hey, glitches happen. It's a fact of life.
    04-02-10 11:47 AM
    Someone typed their login wrong so no need to worry.
    04-02-10 12:25 PM
    I've noticed that RIM's IP logs in to my gmail account several times a day even when I have no gmail all day.

04-04-10 02:33 PM
    ***New Information***

Instead of posting another thread about this I decided it might be better to bump this one with some new information.

Tonight at about 11:45pm(CST) I got a Facebook notification. I opened the Facebook app and it was a suggestion I watch a video. It then required me that I sign in to the mobile website version. I entered my login information. I get the same thing as last time. That my account was accessed from a location Facebook is unfamiliar with. It turns out the IP traces back to a R.I.M. IP in Waterloo, Ontario Canada again. This time the IP was (206.53.153.66).

Now it doesn't really bother me that R.I.M. is accessing my Facebook or whatever is happening but it is just becoming annoying that for the second time now it has locked me out of my Facebook from my Storm 2 until I can get back on a computer. I'm not sure what would have triggered this to happen again. Anybody else have this happen to them again? Maybe I'm just their favorite! hahaha

Should I just say that I recognize the IP/login attempt so that hopfully it doesn't happen again or just hope that this is the last time?

Opinions?
    -Russ

Pictures:
    [IP Trace]
    [Facebook Activity]
    04-09-10 12:03 AM
    do you have fb app? try deleting that and see what happens?
    04-09-10 01:18 AM
    You're kidding, right? I already posted a reply your OP, as did others. RIM is not logging into your Facebook account...come on now.

***New Information***

Instead of posting another thread about this I decided it might be better to bump this one with some new information.

Tonight at about 11:45pm(CST) I got a Facebook notification. I opened the Facebook app and it was a suggestion I watch a video. It then required me that I sign in to the mobile website version. I entered my login information. I get the same thing as last time. That my account was accessed from a location Facebook is unfamiliar with. It turns out the IP traces back to a R.I.M. IP in Waterloo, Ontario Canada again. This time the IP was (206.53.153.66).

Now it doesn't really bother me that R.I.M. is accessing my Facebook or whatever is happening but it is just becoming annoying that for the second time now it has locked me out of my Facebook from my Storm 2 until I can get back on a computer. I'm not sure what would have triggered this to happen again. Anybody else have this happen to them again? Maybe I'm just their favorite! hahaha

Should I just say that I recognize the IP/login attempt so that hopfully it doesn't happen again or just hope that this is the last time?

Opinions?
    -Russ

Pictures:
    [IP Trace]
    [Facebook Activity]
    04-09-10 06:29 AM
    Honestly, maybe you need to say you recognize the activity and it will stop saying it's an unknown location?
    04-09-10 08:51 AM
    @mconk: I know and could care less whatever they are doing or is happening. I simply am saying it happened again but wondering if this time I should say I recognize the location so that maybe it will stop in the future. Last time I went through and said no and it made me change my password(which was probably a good thing anywase). That was my question this time. Not that it happened again and I'm worried about somebody logging into my FB.

@cdowner: I think I will say I do this time and see if it happens again.
    04-09-10 10:28 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD