Opera Software at CTIA: No New BlackBerry-Specific Browser; Ball is in RIM’s Court | CIO - Blogs and Discussion

Don`t expect Opera to work properly anytime soon. After I did the latest RIM update(204), I`m having trouble reintalling it.
    04-15-09 10:28 AM
    well that sucks. i would think that RIM would let opera in on somethings to make it better for us to use. now the question is, since RIM wont let opera in does that mean that RIM is building a better browser?

i my self are in the 16 million using opera mini
    04-15-09 10:35 AM
    After that google search I gave up on Opera anyway. The Bolt browser is installed and working....fast!

http://boltbrowser.com/boltbb.jad
    04-15-09 10:51 AM
    I quit using Opera when it refused to load any pages at all. The default text Bolt uses reminds me of the old NCSA Mosaic browser (I.e., it looks like crap). It seems that there are no usuable alternatives to the BB browser for me at this time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 12:49 PM
    My opera hasn't worked since the update. Like the two clash or something. Sucks to because opera was the only way I could load my credit unions busy webpage

04-15-09 07:42 PM
    My opera hasn't worked since the update. Like the two clash or something. Sucks to because opera was the only way I could load my credit unions busy webpage

Uh.. I know what you mean. Opera is the only way I can log in to my C.U....
    Frustrating... I think their page is set up for Netscape. The log-in buttons etc. don't work in native browser or Bolt.
    04-15-09 08:16 PM
    I have not tried Opera on my 8900. I use Bolt Browser, and I absolutely love it. I would give it a shot, it is a lot better than Opera IMHO.
    04-15-09 08:22 PM
    I am using Bolt also on .204. Works just fine and the fonts look ok to me. ?? Anyway, I think Rim should license Bolt and call it a day.
    04-15-09 08:35 PM
    This is strange as I am using Opera just fine on .204
    04-15-09 09:44 PM
    Same here, loaded it on 204 without any problems...............
    04-15-09 10:11 PM
    opera works on 204
    04-15-09 11:34 PM
    works here too!
    04-16-09 09:04 PM
    I think the point is the lack of FULL functionality. Hidden menus don`t cut it, Bolt has the same issues, but at least I was able to install it after the .204 update.
    My situation may have been different...in that I had my BB got wiped do to a faulty upgrade...so I`m reinstalling everything.

If RIM will not work with these 3rd party apps, they really should do something about that crappy native browser.
    04-17-09 07:42 AM

If RIM will not work with these 3rd party apps, they really should do something about that crappy native browser.
    i agree with you...

as for all the opera issues, i just installed opera on my computer as well, and was able to SYNC all my bookmarks with my BB, NO ISSUES!

yes the menu is hidden BUT there is a workaround, INSTALL a custom theme. someone has even made the OEM (sprint and silver) themes with the solid menus so the 3rd party apps work if you like the OEM themes!
    04-17-09 07:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD