RIM Explains the Low Available App Memory in BlackBerry 7 � N4BB � News for BlackBerry � leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

The 189 MB of free space refers to the application memory space, an area carved out of the eMMC where all the usual security checks are put in for apps � i.e. this is the space to which actual application COD files are installed. Practically speaking, if you look through the App World catalogue, you�ll find that few apps exceed 2 MB in size and most are less than 1 MB in size. On BlackBerry, most apps simply don�t need much space. If you take Foursquare as an example, the app on BlackBerry is 790 KB where it�s at least triple that size on other major platforms, and arguably, with a richer feature set on BlackBerry.

The maximum size for an app is theoretically about 14-16 MB (7-8 MB of code, 7-8 MB of additional data [could be images, audio files, etc� basically, anything that isn�t Java code]). This is documented here: The maximum size of a BlackBerry smartphone applic... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

The only argument for larger memory space is 3D games. But, per the max app size limit, 7 MB for data is too small for them anyway (many games have 50 MB or more of images, textures, audio, etc). You could go beyond that 7 MB data limit via a series of libraries, but then you�re starting to take a large chunk out of that 189 MB. As such, for full featured 3D titles like 3D Roller Coaster Rush Jurassic 2, we worked with the vendor to download the game data separate from the COD files for the game logic. More specifically, from App World, the user will be able to download the COD files for the app, which make up the core game logic. This download is only a few MBs in size / only consumes a very small portion of the user�s available application memory. When running the game for the first time, the game will then download all the rest of its game files, be it images, textures, audio, or whatever else. This download is done in a manner that is cost-sensitive to the user�s data plan, using WiFi only, which is especially relevant for users who are not on unlimited data plans or for users who live in regions where data rates are such that 50 MB downloads over carrier networks are not practical. The downloaded game files are then saved to the user�s regular media storage, allowing the app to be as graphically rich as it wishes, without negatively impacting the user�s available application memory space.
    08-12-11 01:45 PM
    Yep. Heck I was just guessing. But you don't need the same memory as Android/iOS because the equivalent apps take less memory.
    08-12-11 01:47 PM
    I don't care what the explanation is, they are scammers. My Torch loaded with 35 apps has 181 Meg currently available. For this phone to come outta the box with such a low Mem Avail. is just shoddy at best. Once again Rim pulls it's : Look at our great new very very late product, but....and but......and but...... and but......
    monsky1956 likes this.
    08-12-11 02:07 PM
    Yep. Heck I was just guessing. But you don't need the same memory as Android/iOS because the equivalent apps take less memory.
    I wouldn't call the apps on BBOS "equivalent" to iOS/android.
    08-12-11 02:14 PM
    I don't care what the explanation is, they are scammers. My Torch loaded with 35 apps has 181 Meg currently available. For this phone to come outta the box with such a low Mem Avail. is just shoddy at best. Once again Rim pulls it's : Look at our great new very very late product, but....and but......and but...... and but......
    Doesn't sound like an excuse. It is just a way of doing it differently. So you can have a 50meg app just like the iPhone, but only a couple meg will go into the available 188meg, the rest goes to storage. Sounds OK to me.
    08-12-11 02:22 PM
    � i.e. this is the space to which actual application COD files are installed.
    Psh, what a lie. You can't even play Call Of Duty on a BlackBerry.
    08-12-11 02:24 PM
    Ok. They exist as they are. That's not changing.
    08-12-11 02:30 PM
    Most BBOS apps suck comapred to the iOS and Android Apps, but from reading this, there is no reason they cannot be every bit as good. The new phones are faster than an iPhone 4 (maybe not in 3d, but that isnt needed for most apps... only games).

I am hoping we get some quality apps finally.
    08-12-11 02:38 PM
    So not only do developers have to jump thru extra hoops to give games/apps the space they need on a blackberry, their performance maybe affected due to a cheap SD card someone may have thrown in there.

It's a wonder RIM even bothered adding a GPU to this round of hardware.
    08-12-11 02:48 PM
    So not only do developers have to jump thru extra hoops to give games/apps the space they need on a blackberry, their performance maybe affected due to a cheap SD card someone may have thrown in there.

Isn't the internal memory the same speed in all phones? I doubt there would ever be a need to save to the SD card.
    Last edited by netviper; 08-12-11 at 02:53 PM.
    08-12-11 02:50 PM
    Isn't the internal memory the same speed in all phones? I don't there would ever be a need to save to the SD card.
    That was how I read it as well.
    08-12-11 02:52 PM
    60 fps screen refreshes. Probably gotta have video acceleration for that.
    08-12-11 02:57 PM
    This new OS7 is almost exactly like your PC
    For Example:
    U Download a game "MWO.exe - 12Mb" on Desktop so that's on your C:/ where your windows is, so then you click that and new window pop up and ask you all thous questions and at one point it ask you where you want to instal that particular game now here you chose in D:/ where all your music and videos and all the other non programs stays, hit instal and you are good to go to play that game, but when you install that game just a small portion of the game goes in you C:/programfiles rest the image and all the other things goes in D:games/MWO so your actual game is on your other part of you HDD.
    DEVICE:
    Now here is the same, your "game.COD" goes in 188MB space and the hard "game.exe" goes in to you SD card or that 8GB of memory and to be honest is more then enough for a bad *** game, what is 20MB maximum so till you will fill that 8Gb of space or the 32Gb on the SD a new generation of phones come out from BlackBerry and will have even more space to play with it.
    In my Opinion this new gen of BB are the Bombs and i dont understand why ppl complain about they space on the Device when the device is running fast and smooth with not even a bit of lag or that usual small black loading clock.
    Last edited by UnknownError507; 08-12-11 at 03:14 PM.
    anon(4018671) and grover5 like this.
    08-12-11 03:10 PM
    So he says I have 35 apps loaded and ONLY have 181mb left of that original 189mb. Yeah I can see how that sucks.

/sarcasm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-11 03:31 PM
    So is it safe to assume that I have access to the full 768mb which is what makes the 9810, 9900 and 9860 move so seamlessly since the app memory is being taken from the embedded memory?? Also, you don't have an sd card installed does the extra automatically install to the embedded storage??
    08-12-11 10:27 PM
    App2sd maybe? I think 1gb memory is the norm now.
    08-12-11 10:30 PM
    My app memory limit hasn't hindered me yet, I don't see the big deal.

And I'm running a damn 8530 lmao, new phones are really getting that much complaint? Sheesh.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD