RIM Exec: BlackBerry Video Conferencing App Coming "Very Soon" | CIO - Blogs and Discussion

RIM will launch a new BlackBerry video-conferencing app "very soon" for use with the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

Posted by: Al Sacco in News
    Topic: Mobile

Blog: Mobile WorkHorse

Current Rating: 0 Comments: 0

BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion's (RIM) much-anticipated BlackBerry PlayBook tablet launch is right around the corner, and the company will release a new BlackBerry video conferencing app along with the tablet, or shortly thereafter, according to a RIM executive.

Unofficial Render of BlackBerry PlayBook Video Conferencing
    Unofficial Render of BlackBerry PlayBook Video Conferencing

I sat down with David Heit, RIM's VP of enterprise strategy, at an event in Boston yesterday to talk about the PlayBook and its upcoming launch. Though RIM has not yet announced any official release date for the PlayBook, which will be initially available as a Wi-Fi-only unit with cellular versions expected this summer, current rumors suggest the PlayBook tablet will be released on April 10.

While it is no surprise that the PlayBook tablet will support video conferencing--its telltale rear- and front-facing cameras are clearly meant for video conferencing--it was uncertain until this point whether the PlayBook would employ some kind of third-party app, such as Skype, for the functionality.

The PlayBook will use a new, peer-to-peer video-conferencing app, not unlike Apple's FaceTime video chat app, meant for consumer use, to enable BlackBerry video conferencing, according to Heit. And it's expected to be released "very soon," the RIM executive says, which suggests the app will launch along with the PlayBook.

It's still unclear how the app will work, and if PlayBook users will only be able to video conferencing with other PlayBook owners, but answers to those questions should come along with the device launch in the coming weeks.

Current BlackBerry smartphones do not feature front-facing cameras, so it seems unlikely that this new BlackBerry video conferencing app will be available for handhelds any time soon. In fact, leaked information on the next-generation of BlackBerry smartphones, which are expected to become available in late 2011, suggests that these new devices won't have front-facing cameras either, so it could be some time before BlackBerry handheld users get any sort of video conferencing app, if they do at all.

In other words, the BlackBerry video conferencing app will likely be PlayBook-specific.

For more details on the BlackBerry PlayBook and the enterprise, read "iPad 2 vs. BlackBerry PlayBook: 7 Business Considerations."

AS
    03-10-11 09:25 AM
    Would be awesome if RIM could create some kind of cross-platform video conferencing app which also allows simultaneous text input between the users. It could compete with FaceTime and Skype. Perhaps make some perks if it's PB to PB video chat...
    03-10-11 09:39 AM
    Great, more "Very Soon".
    03-10-11 09:45 AM
    Imagine if it were only PB to PB. That would possibly be the most useless video chat app ever created. It should at least work with handhelds as a one way video broadcast link. And why can't the handheld use the back camera? Or maybe it will link with a desktop app that can go through Skype or something. All I can say is that if the app is limited to only having video chats with other PB users, it will be quickly deleted off of my PB to make room for more useful things.
    03-10-11 09:58 AM
    Great, more "Very Soon".
    Yea they are pretty good lately at continuously telling us about good stuff coming "very soon", usually just another app, but won't reveal anything useful. If you guys haven't figured out what's going on open your eyes a little wider.

21 days left until March 31, the last day of Q1.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-11 10:13 AM
    I think we've mostly all succumbed to the "Not making Q1" thought. At this point, it's more, "It'd be nice, but April 10 will be fine."
    03-10-11 10:27 AM
    Imagine if it were only PB to PB. That would possibly be the most useless video chat app ever created. It should at least work with handhelds as a one way video broadcast link. And why can't the handheld use the back camera? Or maybe it will link with a desktop app that can go through Skype or something. All I can say is that if the app is limited to only having video chats with other PB users, it will be quickly deleted off of my PB to make room for more useful things.
    If it's only for RIM products, then perhaps they will also allow PB to PC video conferencing. Through Desktop Manager or something along those lines. That would at least make it more accessible I suppose.
    03-10-11 10:30 AM
    They could add voice conferencing to the next rounds of BBM. Making it much better than Facetime and Skype.

Even when the new phones come out with front facing cameras..
    03-10-11 10:30 AM
    hmmm what about multiple video conferencing?
    03-10-11 10:46 AM
    hmmm what about multiple video conferencing?
    TI OMAP SOC used in the PB is capable of upto 4 simultaneous video conferences. That could be a surprise waiting to be revealed
    03-10-11 11:29 AM
    I think we've mostly all succumbed to the "Not making Q1" thought. At this point, it's more, "It'd be nice, but April 10 will be fine."
    Yea but I see April 10 as the slippery slope. A mere ten days? If you know you are going to miss but just by 10 days? I think they are preparing the consumers for a stair-stepped disappointment. Better to delay it 10 days at a time then tell everybody now "may or June".

If they will wait for ten, then what's fifteen? Hey 3 weeks isn't so bad. Give or take a month.

Last edited by kb5zht; 03-10-11 at 11:57 AM.
    03-10-11 11:48 AM
    you mean it will actually run skype?
    03-10-11 11:58 AM
    you mean it will actually run skype?
    03-10-11 12:01 PM
    I want to see it running in Portrait mode.
    03-10-11 12:06 PM
    I want to see it running in Portrait mode.
    03-10-11 12:31 PM
    How about it's just video in landscape mode. In portrait mode it adds a chat box on the bottom of the video for sending text to one another.
    03-10-11 12:47 PM
    I personally think a bbm video conferencing app would be cool if all of my bb friends got a playbook lol.

03-10-11 10:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD