I came across this App a little while ago while I was searching for an app so I can keep up with Cricket scores. Yes I said it, Cricket scores. I used to use an app called MobiCast on my curve but it doesn't work too well on the storm. While searching I came upon an App called Snaptu, this app is kinda like a widget bar, where you can install various widgets and run them one at a time. The app can be downloaded form to your BB by visiting Snaptu. I was a little shocked when I saw size was only 139.2Kb.

Once app is downloaded and launched, you will be greeted by a loading page and then the Snaptu main page. There you will see News, Facebook, MyMovies, AccuWeather, The Guardian News Reader, Picasa and Twitter. There are additional Apps that you can load to Snaptu, I will get into that a little later. The UI is very clean and responds very well. App is quick and very well designed. The one major flaw that I will get into later as well is if you are a Storm user, this app does not like to be switched from Landscape to Portrait and vice versa.

From the main menu if you hit the BB Menu key you get the option to Add Application, Remove Application, Tell a friend, Send Feedback, etc. If you select add application you are greeted with additional Apps that can be added to the main screen. If there is an app that is installed that you want to remove, just highlight it and hit menu, remove application.

Apps Available

CricInfo
    This is the app that I was originally looking for. This app is for individuals that are fans of cricket. This is a pretty slick app, you can get Live Scores, Fixtures (Upcoming Matches), Results and News.

News & Blogs
    Seeing this section reminds me of Viigo. This allows you to feeds for news, entertainment, blogs, etc that you would like to have access to. This is nice because personally I deleted Viigo because it was slow and affected my phones performance. Using Snaptu so far has not affected performance and as I said responds very well. So this is a keeper. By default you have Engadget, Google, Perez Hilton (lol), Reuter, Yahoo, etc already there. You can add your own channels by clicking Add More Channels. You can select popular channels, search for a channel of add your own via URL.

FaceBook
    This allows you to log into your FaceBook account and see Status Updates, Friends, Inbox, Your Profile, etc. Select friends and you get a list with a search option at the top. Click on a friend and you can View Albums, Photos, Send a message, Invite to Snaptu, See their Networks, Employer and B-Day Photos loads very quickly and I must say this is a lot quicker that using the FaceBook App. At the top of the home page you can view you Inbox and Update your Facebook status.

Live FootBall Scores
    Soccer for Americans. Lol.
    This allows you to see Matches being played, Tournaments, My Teams and News.

MyMovies
    By going here you get 4 options.
    Out now - see movies that are playing.
    UK Charts - see UK box office charts
    Search - Search for movies.
    News - Catch up on movie news.

AccuWeather
    Allows you to add a city and get weather updates. You can get a hour by hour view, and satellite image. Both of those will invoke the browser.

The Guardian News Reader
    Never heard of this one before but it is a news reader with various categories of news, sports, etc. You can also add and remove channels.

Picasa
    Allows you to access your Picasa account if you have one, search for Photos and view public albums. I personally don't have one as of yet so I wasn't able to log in. Searching for photos was very quick. Viewing photos is instant.

Twitter
    Needs no explanation. This allows you to log into Twitter, Update status, view replies, view direct messages, add, remove and view favorites, view followers, people you are following, view profiles, retweet, etc. This is also a very nice app that works very well. When viewing a tweet, if you click on it you are presented with View sender, reply, retweet, favorite (add tweet to favorites) as well a searches ex #epicfail.

Dictionary
    This is pretty slick. You can look up the meaning of words and phrases.

Sudoku
    The game of Sudoku is a fun, challenging game that will keep you occupied for a good while. This to me is a great addition for those moments when you need something out of the ordinary to keep you occupied (Lunch breaks, waiting on bus/train, etc.) Game has three modes, Easy, Medium and Hard. Fun Fun Fun.

Reuters News Reader
    Does Oddly Enough ring a bell? Well if not you gotta check it out. I think everyone knows what Reuter News is. you can add channels from news, Business, entertainment, etc.

London Tube
    Trip information, Closure alerts, Plan a Trip, etc

BBC News Reader
    Get news from all over the world. Add and remove channels.

Google Calendar
    Allows you to log into Google Calendar, create events, See whats due today, etc.

London Pub Guide
    This is for all the UK drinkers. Search for Pubs, Find reviews and Save locations. I am hoping they get a version of this for us over in the US. This could be a very handy app.

Europe Concert Tickets
    Search for concert tickets by date, performer and categories.

All in all, this is a one stop app that has great potentials and I can see myself and others really using this on a everyday basis. Since installing this app, I have uninstall 3-4 apps that this one app will replace.

The few cons so far are:

*App works by touching the screen so it take some getting use to since I have gotten used to SurePress.
    *As stated above, app doesn't like to be switched from portrait to landscape and vice versa. This is a pic of what you get when you switch orientations.

Other than the above issues there is nothing else that I have noticed that will affect you using this app. I hope you all check this out if you haven't done so already. I am sure you will enjoy it as much I have.

-Irie-
    06-15-09 08:39 PM
    Nice... Thanks!
    06-15-09 08:57 PM
    hey, Ill get this just for the cricket info!!! thanks for the in-depth review...
    06-15-09 10:05 PM
    Looks great. I'm gonna download and try now. If its slow like Viigo it will be deleted

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 12:16 AM
    Oh my god! Anyone unsure of this app get it now! Its brilliant. Best app I have used. The facebook app on it is so fast! Updates a whole page of status updates in just a couple of seconds. I'm amazed. Thanks a lot TC

06-16-09 12:30 AM
    hey, Ill get this just for the cricket info!!! thanks for the in-depth review...
    Yeah now I have a reliable and quick way of getting my scores and updates.
    06-16-09 12:35 AM
    Oh my god! Anyone unsure of this app get it now! Its brilliant. Best app I have used. The facebook app on it is so fast! Updates a whole page of status updates in just a couple of seconds. I'm amazed. Thanks a lot TC

I was shocked at how good the FaceBook app worked. Loads a lot faster than the one from RIM. Also pics load in an instant.
    06-16-09 12:37 AM
    Is this app primarily for users in the UK then? I get that it works for everyone, but is it geared towards the UK, or are there USA channels too?
    06-16-09 01:06 AM
    Looks like a great app so far. Hope more American content gets added at some point.

06-16-09 01:22 AM
    Is this app primarily for users in the UK then? I get that it works for everyone, but is it geared towards the UK, or are there USA channels too?
    Out of all the apps that are available I would say only 4 or 5 are strictly for the UK. All others are good for anyone and apps that most of us already use. Now I hope to see more apps but as it stands it is a good start. Most of the apps we use in some way or the other, twitter, facebook, news& blogs, picasa, movie, dictopnary, sudoku, google calendar, etc.
    06-16-09 02:15 AM
    At first I thought, great.. another main menu to put in our "main menu". But after reading what people said I'm gonna give it a shot. Do you get the apps right from their site or is there a place that has a consolidated list?

Thx btw for the heads up on the app.
    06-16-09 03:21 AM
    Seems pretty slick. Have only flicked thru it but it all works quite well. Can't wait to get live ashes updates when ricky and the boys go on tour.
    Aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi.

06-16-09 04:27 AM
    Anyone managed to log into the twitter app? Tells me user name or password is wrong but its clearly not

06-16-09 05:30 PM
    Anyone managed to log into the twitter app? Tells me user name or password is wrong but its clearly not

Twitter was down for maintainence a while ago-that is probably what happened
    06-16-09 06:19 PM
    Curious about others thoughts on this app-have downloaded it. Very impressive and easy to use. Some more US based widgets would be cool but I am liking this.

Definitely would like to see the landscape mode work on the storm!
    06-16-09 10:27 PM
    Just downloaded and installed. Very impressed by this APP.
    06-16-09 11:05 PM
    Curious about others thoughts on this app-have downloaded it. Very impressive and easy to use. Some more US based widgets would be cool but I am liking this.

Definitely would like to see the landscape mode work on the storm!
    Landscape mode does work on the Storm..you just have to open the app in landscape mode. You just can't switch orientations once the app is open.
    06-16-09 11:21 PM
    Very Viigo-like without the battery drain and memory leaks. Still I imagine for most, it won't quite have all the offerings of Viigo. For me, it might be a nice alternative to reading RSS channels and Facebook. Pretty slick app though and it's a wonder how it hasn't made much of a impact here. The only flaws I see for Storm is the buggy rotation and the lack of Surepress, both not a huge issue considering it is a very fast and small app that does a lot.
    06-17-09 08:17 AM
    Anyone know how to configure this apps connection settings?
    Im trying to figure out if this can use a proxy or not
    06-17-09 12:08 PM
    Pretty good app so far! I'd deffinatly like to see more US based apps for it, or even the ability for us to make and add our own!
    06-17-09 12:41 PM
    I feel that it will be great once further developed.

06-17-09 01:02 PM
    I shall check this out tonight. A good App is like a fine woman...:P

...But... Cricket? Surely carrier pidgeons would be just as quick to update cricket scores?! CRICKET!!! :P
    06-17-09 01:03 PM
    I shall check this out tonight. A good App is like a fine woman...:P

...But... Cricket? Surely carrier pidgeons would be just as quick to update cricket scores?! CRICKET!!! :P
    True.
    Lmao. And yes..... Cricket. Its the game I grew up watching and playing. We should have a crackberry match sometime. Lol.

06-17-09 06:06 PM
    i get a connection error when starting it for the first time. maybe because i dont have data plan?
    08-26-09 12:02 PM
    i get a connection error when starting it for the first time. maybe because i dont have data plan?
    I was using it this morning, without issue.
    08-26-09 12:10 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD