I'm traveling internationally in a few days. Is there any way to really limit my data usage -- ie, any way to turn off email checking?

I would basically like to only use it for BBM's and when I need to use the browser. Would like to "turn off" all other data use.

Any tips? I know I can remove my email address from my BIS. anything short of that?
    Last edited by docsmody; 05-04-10 at 03:52 PM.
    04-12-10 12:28 PM
    Stop the PUSH services. That way, when a message reaches the server it won't be pushed to your BB. You can always retrieve them manually whenever you want. This will work for all the applications that received pushed data (like weather apps, for example)
    04-12-10 12:34 PM
    Stop the PUSH services. That way, when a message reaches the server it won't be pushed to your BB. You can always retrieve them manually whenever you want. This will work for all the applications that received pushed data (like weather apps, for example)
    I'm running OS 5. Would this be under "Browser Push"

There's:

Enable Push
    Enable MDS Push
    Enable WAP Push

What's each one mean. If I disable them all, how would I tell BBM to check for new messages?

Thanks for the help.
    04-12-10 12:40 PM
    how would I tell BBM to check for new messages?

You don't, that is the whole idea behind PUSH service. When a message arrives it will be delivered as soon as you are able to accept it.

Disabling email while keeping messenger will be difficult, they both use the same data pathway.

If you log on to your BIS account you can delete email accounts to prevent them from connecting while keeping the path open for BlackBerry Messenger.

Alternatly, Options / Mobile Network. Set Data Services to Off while Roaming. That will prevent all data from being pushed. Restore it to ON in order to send and receive messages.
    04-12-10 12:59 PM
    Problem with turning data on only to send/receive messages --> once you turn it on, all that push data (email) will come through running up my bill. thanks for the insight.
    04-12-10 01:04 PM
    The push services are not the ones you need to worry about. They only handle data when the server signals that it has traffic for you. You need to disable or logout (whatever) the POLLING applications which go online at regular intervals and actively look for updates. That will be mostly the really useful (yeah, right) stuff like Twitter clients, weather applications, stock and news tickers...

My experience of roaming data is that it is the cheapest of the communications if you stick to essential email and BBM. If you set a filter in your BIS setup to only forward key senders that should take care of it. However, note that you can't tweak the BIS filter from your BB browser, it needs a full browser like Firefox or IE so it can be difficult to adjust while you are travelling.
    04-12-10 01:10 PM
    Thanks. I'll be disabling all my routine polling apps:

Google Maps (Latitude)
    Google Sync
    BeWeather Free
    Google Voice

I'll reverse my BIS email setting to not forward any mail. That will work for now. Thanks.
    04-12-10 02:09 PM
    I just wanted to update this thread -- there really should be an FAQ for int'l travel somewhere. Maybe there is, i just didn't see it.

Anyways, for six days in Jamaica using BBM, my total charges was 38 cents...yep!

I disabled my email fowarding via the BIS filters. I disabled The apps I listed above, and turned all of its update settings to 'manual'. So no data whatsoever was going back and forth other than for BBM. Worked great. Its cheaper to stay in touch via BBM int'l than via calling, even in Canada, where its 20 cents/minute if you have the discounted LD plan.

Thanks for the help.
    05-04-10 03:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD