Okay so I have read people comparing battery pulls vs using the reset app that is out there.

But nobody never mentioned this.

I just did the reset app and got 12mb free, but after reboot I got 14 mb free.

No I just id a battery pull for 10 sec and the phone rebooted and I looked up the memory free. guess what, 13mb free.

What gives I'm kinda lost. Guess this answers my questions and maybe others but seems that reset app is better. But what gives and why?

Thanks in advance.
    04-06-08 10:51 PM
    hey you know what i noticed the same thing.. like when i do the battery pull and wait 1min i have 22MB free... but when i do the same thing later in the week and only wait for several sec's i get 17-19MB free.. weird..wonder why...
    04-06-08 11:03 PM
    Using the SoftReset application my free memory right after starting is 20028792 bytes.

Actually pulling the battery out and waiting 15 seconds and putting it back in gives me 19956260 bytes of free memory right after starting.

That's about a 72 kb difference. Not much but it is interesting that the SoftReset app does a better job of freeing up memory.

Although, we would have to test this multiple times to get a good set of data. I really don't think it's worth it though...
    04-06-08 11:14 PM
    Yeah wierd happenings but not really sure why. More testing I would expect but you would think both do the same thing, but now with different results.
    04-07-08 09:47 AM
    where do I get the reset app? for some reason i can't get the back off my berry so can't do a hard reset and it's driving me mad!! had 2 missed calls earlier and my call history was empty so couldn't even see who it was! and my txts keep disappearing!
    04-07-08 05:45 PM
    Soft reset is Alt + (Right) Shift + Del
    04-07-08 06:00 PM
    Soft reset is Alt + (Right) Shift + Del
    Doesn't work for Pearls.

You can get SoftReset at geek and proud - BlackBerry Software
    04-07-08 06:11 PM
    the difference most probably comes from the different timespans your BBs ran between the reset

If I leave my Pearl on for some days and do a Reset there will be much more trash in the memory that gets deleted than when I do a reset after 15 seconds^^

Stefan
    04-08-08 02:40 AM
    Doesn't work for Pearls.

You can get SoftReset at [url=http://www.geekandproud.net/blackberry-software/]geek and proud - BlackBerry Software
    Thank you! will try that asap!
    04-08-08 05:38 AM
    It will always vary - no matter which method you use. You start a at a different point, Different amounts in cache, Different apps running when you reset - you'll never see the same exact number after a reset, just too many variables.
    04-08-08 05:45 AM
    Little update on this.......

Using reset doesn't give much memory back, vs soft reset app... just fyi, been testing for a few weeks.
    04-21-08 02:12 PM
    I just use the app so I don't have to take my case apart.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-08 04:10 PM
    I recall reading an article about these hacker types that found when you pull the power on a computer that uses flash memory, the memory is still around for up to 20 to 25 seconds and they were able to hack it. I would suggest keeping the juice off for at least 30 seconds to totally clear the ram.
    04-21-08 04:58 PM
    I think they don't make much difference, they all shutdown the virtual machine so got self cleaned, got those leaked memory back into pool. There are a few options,

1) battery pull - I am sure you all do
    2) alt-del-shift - only available to those with QWERTY keyboard
    3) Soft reset applications. There are a few apps out there
    a) Quick pull. I think this is the oldest one. It works on most of old devices, but seems not working at all on some latest devices, I have heard complains about it. I tested on my two devices, it works on 8310 but not storm. it offers a free version with advertisement; but since I am having a corporate, I cannot use it because I don't want unwanted data traffic get recorded on the companies gateway.

b) A+ Reset. It works on both of my devices. It offers a 7 day free trial. It has a unique feature I don't see on other reset app, which is one key press reset. I end up set one side key as shortcut to the A+ Reset shortcut. I like this feature because sometimes the phone does not respond well, I couldn't even launch the app. Press a key to reset always work well. I had to pay $2.99 to buy this app.

c) ResetMe. This one is not stable; and I think it tries to offer you too much advertisement, which make it awful slow. And it works on one of my device but not the other one. It offers a free version but I think nobody wants to keey this app.

d) PBTaskManager. This one works on my 8310. But does not work on my Storm, it seems try to download and install something. I am suspecting it is also trying to collect my device information, so have a little bit concern about it. It is too expensive ($6.99) as it offers features beside rebooting phone.
    05-30-10 10:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD