I am on OS 4.5.0.51 is it possible to remove the voice dial app or is it embedded in the phone since it does not show up in desktop mgr? I know how to use javaloader.

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-08 12:11 PM
    Remove the net_rim_vad_resource files from the OS directory in your Java folder.
    08-21-08 12:16 PM
    It is possible to remove it. I recommend you follow the steps in Stoner's Procedure, linked in my sig. He takes a step-by-step approach that makes it easier to recover if you have a problem.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=52044

CrackMem is the tool for that job.

Follow the instructions in the Help section.
    08-21-08 12:22 PM
    Will removing VAD prevent other apps that utilize spoken commands, such as vlingo and Google Map search, from working?
    08-21-08 12:46 PM
    Thanks, I will try it. I got tired of a useless application taking up memory. I just did not know which modules to delete.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-08 12:47 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=52044

CrackMem is the tool for that job.

Follow the instructions in the Help section.
    Hey, just wanted to let you know that CrackMem worked great! One question, I check the boxes to remove the modules that I wanted. Did not exit crackmem, started and ran DM removed the modules. I then went back to crackmem click put it back because of the warnings and exited. So my questions is the next time I run DM won't it put back the modules I just removed?

Thanks again, I like the way you can pick the modules that you wish to remove!
    08-21-08 03:35 PM
    Yes, if you put the modules back, App Loader will restore them the next time it runs. I ran Crackmem last night and got no warnings. What messages did you get?
    08-21-08 04:48 PM
    The "Put it Back" button restores everything, including the vendor.xml file.

If the file is in the correct place, Desktop Manager does not see the installed OS and you will only see your device installation.

Execute Remove Vendor.xml one more time.
    08-21-08 05:20 PM
    Yes, if you put the modules back, App Loader will restore them the next time it runs. I ran Crackmem last night and got no warnings. What messages did you get?
    I got no messages or warnings. I must have read the directions wrong. I took the instructions to read, once you have removed the unwanted modules you should choose "put it back" before exiting Crackmem so you can restore the modules if you choose in the future.

So you answered my original question. It will re-install the unwanted apps the next time I run app loader. So I guess I should run Crackmem again, check the unwanted modules and exit Crackmeme to have them removed from app loader.
    08-21-08 06:48 PM
    I'm sorry if I have confused you, after reading the help file and doing some experiments, I am a little confused myself. I used Crackmem without using "put it back," and now I realize I don't understand that function. More studying is in order.
    08-21-08 07:05 PM
    Will removing VAD prevent other apps that utilize spoken commands, such as vlingo and Google Map search, from working?
    Good question. I downloaded MaxMem because I can't stand the BB voice dialing which has never worked properly. It can't understand "John Smith" from "Johanovich Smithsonian" but I love my Vlingo. Will it corrupt the voice recognition capability or anything?
    Last edited by Paulie227; 05-01-09 at 11:03 PM.
    04-30-09 10:12 PM
    First I would like to say Hello, I'm new here and this is not the proper thread to introduce my self sorry.

That maxmem app would do me wonders once I have my blackberry up and running I just would like to know if it's possible for me to run that app with no data services? sorry for the novice question and necro posting.
    06-16-10 12:52 AM
    I've got a Storm 9530 OS 5.0.0.328

I've tried maxmem and it does not work for me. The application gets installed, I run it, click remove VAD, it asks if I've backed up, I click yes, then nothing happens.

I also tried removing it through CrackMem, but I can't figure out how to apply it to the phone. I click Execute selections after checking the remove VAD box, it says it did it. From what it sounds like, I need to re-load the operating system, but it seems like it won't let me because the OS isn't being upgraded. It's the same version as what's currently installed. Any tips are appreciated.
    11-29-10 11:31 AM
    I've got a Storm 9530 OS 5.0.0.328

I've tried maxmem and it does not work for me. The application gets installed, I run it, click remove VAD, it asks if I've backed up, I click yes, then nothing happens.

I also tried removing it through CrackMem, but I can't figure out how to apply it to the phone. I click Execute selections after checking the remove VAD box, it says it did it. From what it sounds like, I need to re-load the operating system, but it seems like it won't let me because the OS isn't being upgraded. It's the same version as what's currently installed. Any tips are appreciated.
    There are other desktop utilities besides CrackMem, like BBSAK and BBMCP.

But I think the easiest way for you to do this is the following:

1. On your PC, navigate to your OS's Java folder.
    C:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\[your Device OS version]\Java
    *IF you don't have Program Files (x86), then just select Program Files. They'll be one after the other if both there.

2. Go through the folder and remove all cod's that have "vad" in them. I would create a "Removed" folder on your Desktop to place removed cod files until you know everything was successful. So highlight & Cut in Java folder, then Paste in your newly created Removed folder.

3. Decide if you want to remove anything else. The Help app's other language versions take up a good amount of memory. Then there's some large 1MB-4MB medialoader files for ringtones, stock wallpapers ("backgrounds"), and for a sample video. There's also themes for other vendors. I remove VVM and all non-BBM IM apps too. Anyway, remove the undesired cod's! *

4. Plug BB into PC. Run Desktop Manager and make a Backup. Close DM.

5. (Optional) Back up your 3rd party apps with a desktop utility like BBSAK or BBMCP I mentioned above.

6. Navigate to your AppLoader folder:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

7. Double-click on Loader. It will be like an OS install, but it will only execute any differences between the Java folder's cod's and those on your BB. It might ask you if you want to downgrade, and if it does, say Yes. (It's just the way the program thinks of it, you're not actually downgrading your OS!)

8. Reboot & re-initialization should be faster than for a regular OS install. After you make sure your device functions, perform a battery pull for good measure.

Congrats, you are now a successful OS Shrinker!

* You can also download the desktop app Shrink-A-OS and use it to remove all of these cod files too. That's easier, and you can just follow their instructions in place of my Steps #2-3.
    11-29-10 09:08 PM
    Remove the net_rim_vad_resource files from the OS directory in your Java folder.
    how to do it my voice dialing pops up every minute i cant make or receive any call please help

Aseem
    05-25-11 07:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD