I have two apps (3rd Party) that load on startup and I don't want them to. Is there anyway to remove them from the startup but keep them on the device?
    04-22-09 08:18 AM
    What apps are they?
    04-22-09 08:22 AM
    For me the app i want to turn off and not have auto start is Adorno Color Light. I never should have bought it, i should have downloaded the trial first, i thought it would work like BBAlerts or BerryBuzz...but no...it doesn't....not at alll. Waste of $5. I should just delete it, but i use it randomly as a flashlight. It auto starts with the phone, and i hate that.
    04-22-09 08:45 AM
    One is MarkSpace Missing Sync and the other is Microsoft Live Search. Both start at boot up and it drives me nuts. Missing Sync makes the storm sit there and "think" every two seconds because it is searching for my home computer via bluetooth while I'm at work. Drives me crazy...
    04-22-09 12:54 PM
    +1 for removing live search from startup. I like the app, but hate seeing it with startup. lol OCD for me.
    04-23-09 12:40 PM
    BUMP...I would like to know this as well. How do you remove a program from startup? I want to remove Missing Sync from start up but dont want to delete it completely.

Thanks
    04-30-09 03:29 AM
    If the app does not have an option to remove it from startup then there is no way to do it.

There is no WCU for a bb ;-)
    04-30-09 07:47 AM
    If there is no Options setting within the app to Stop loading at Startup it's time to lose the app ...
    04-30-09 09:13 AM
    maybe this could be a possibility for a new app. one that controls which apps auto start at boot up...i have youmail and hate that it starts up on its own, i always exit it until i get a text saying i have a voicemail

but im not sure if an app like that is possible...would probably make bank tho in app world.
    04-30-09 09:16 AM
    maybe this could be a possibility for a new app. one that controls which apps auto start at boot up...i have youmail and hate that it starts up on its own, i always exit it until i get a text saying i have a voicemail

but im not sure if an app like that is possible...would probably make bank tho in app world.
    +1!!

I hate having to close youmail everytime..

I've been having issues with battery life since i've upgraded to .132.. which the battery booster app completely fixed.. as long as it's running..

but .132 also gives me some random reboot issues.. and whenever it happens battery booster doesn't come back.. so if i don't notice it right away.. it's bye bye battery : (

So if someone can make an app like that... let it give you options to add to startup as well!!
    05-01-09 10:21 PM
    I have two third party apps - MSDict and Missing Sync. They both start up on reboot, which I don't like! I want them, I need them, but they should start up only when required!
    Any help would be appreciated.
    07-28-09 09:26 PM
    Kinda technical post below, I got a little carried away looking into this.

---

I don't think it's possible for an app to modify the startup behavior of any other app (or even itself, actually). There is a flag in an app's .JAD file that tells the BlackBerry whether or not it should launch that app when it boots up. I don't think the program code itself has any logic dealing with the autostart.

However, since the autostart is not handled by the app code itself, if you really wanted to stop the app from autostarting, you could go ahead and download the app's .JAD file onto a computer, open it up in Notepad, and subtract one from the value of "RIM-MIDlet-Flags-1". (For example, if the value was 3, change it to 2, or if the value is 1, change it to 0.) Then reinstall the app using the modified .JAD file and it the phone won't start that app when it boots up.

For example, the Bing/Live Search app. If you download the .jad file to your computer (http://mobile.search.live.com/client...SearchBB47.jad) and open it up in Notepad, you'll see that line 11 says:
    Code:
    RIM-MIDlet-Flags-1: 3
    Change that to 2, save the .jad, and then reinstall the app using that .jad file and it won't autostart. The problem is installing using the modified .jad. You'd either need to use a desktop manager installation and replace the old .jad, or host the OTA yourself.
    Last edited by Andiamo; 07-28-09 at 10:15 PM.
    07-28-09 10:07 PM
    WOW thanks Andiamo! Awesome instructions. I can't wait to do this. I like using the menu button as an app switcher but hate scrolling through a bunch of start up apps that I don't use often/would prefer to open as needed.
    07-29-09 03:08 AM
    Thanks Andiamo! Will certainly try it out tonight when I get home..
    07-29-09 04:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD