Hi!

I'd love to try out the Blackberry App World (found in Main > Downloads on my unlocked Bold 9000) and download some apps.

Yet whenever I click the App World icon I'm told to 'Upgrade your service to a plan that includes browsing and discover.....' etc.

I have a regular unlimited GSM data service with my network operator (no Blackberry related features) here in the UK and can get online (GPRS / 3G) with Opera Mini form the BB. So, no problems with GSM data access.

Can anyone tell me; Surely the App World doesn't require me to have BIS in order to work? I've tried it with WiFi as well and still no joy.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
    04-02-10 01:05 PM
    Yes you do need a BLACKBERRY PLAN in order to use most of the RIM features on your BB.
    04-02-10 01:17 PM
    You need to have BIS tied to your service, then you can use it either with data or wifi. Most native add-on apps and services will detect for BIS before it lets you thru.
    04-02-10 01:35 PM
    You need to have BIS tied to your service, then you can use it either with data or wifi. Most native add-on apps and services will detect for BIS before it lets you thru.
    +1

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-10 03:52 PM
    Hi!

I'd love to try out the Blackberry App World (found in Main > Downloads on my unlocked Bold 9000) and download some apps.

Yet whenever I click the App World icon I'm told to 'Upgrade your service to a plan that includes browsing and discover.....' etc.

I have a regular unlimited GSM data service with my network operator (no Blackberry related features) here in the UK and can get online (GPRS / 3G) with Opera Mini form the BB. So, no problems with GSM data access.

Can anyone tell me; Surely the App World doesn't require me to have BIS in order to work? I've tried it with WiFi as well and still no joy.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Sadly, as everyone has said, You will need a BlackBerry Internet data-tariff from O2 for App World to function, as App World will need to connect to RIM, via RIM's servers in order to pull down the data required.

O2's standard data tariff which supplies you with GPRS/3G will not be sufficent to use App World.
    04-03-10 12:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD