Why cant we have an app like this...

i think this would come in handy for a lot of people!!!!

CallRec - Communication & Internet Centro Software & Treo Software
    10-03-08 06:03 PM
    RIM isn't the best at providing access to commonly used applications. In fact, they make it harder for developers to write apps for their OS.

They call it "Security"...

Dm
    10-03-08 06:13 PM
    Recording phone conversations without consent is illegal in many locations, so most companies try to avoid the liability.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-08 07:10 PM
    Good point Sinister...didn't think about that! But it would still be a pretty cool feature! Especially when you're having an argument with your wife...you can just bust out the whole phone conversation and end the argument in record time!!! Hahahaha...

Well for future reference...if this app does become available for BB's I will definitely be first in line to buy it!!!

10-03-08 08:05 PM
    hmm that would be useful.
    10-03-08 08:10 PM
    I want an app like this for when I deal with customer service reps. Sometimes one will tell you one thing and then another tells you something else when you call back and just makes your problems worse.

At least then I can hit them with a recording and let them know what I've been promised and what they will deliver.
    10-03-08 08:59 PM
    I want an app like this when I talk to my boss! "uhm, yeah you DID say I could have Monday off, let me play something for you......"
    10-04-08 05:09 AM
    I'm not in that much need for recording phone calls, but if I need to, I just put the phone on speakerphone and use a sound recording program on my PC. The speakerphone on the Curve is very clear.

Oh, and I really like Radius' idea of recording CS calls. They tell you they can record your call for quality assurance purposes so there's no reason for you not to do the same to them.
    10-04-08 09:53 AM
    Yea but like sinister said...some areas it is illegal to record conversations with out notifying the person on the other end! Customer service let's you know the call may be monitored...

10-04-08 04:05 PM
    Yea but like sinister said...some areas it is illegal to record conversations with out notifying the person on the other end! Customer service let's you know the call may be monitored...
    I don't see why you can't tell them you are going to record the call.
    10-04-08 06:20 PM
    you wouldn't need to.

they have already made you (and therefore all parties involved in the call) that there is a recording being made. after that, it doesn't matter how many recordings there are.
    01-07-09 06:48 PM
    These threads always move from "is there an app for this" to "it's illegal!" If you are going to record your calls, check your local laws. Now back to the OP, I haven't seen anything for the bb but most other platforms have something like this for them. RIM may not allow apps to access this part of the device, but there's nothing concrete on that.

01-07-09 09:39 PM
    I don't see why you can't tell them you are going to record the call.
    i work for wells fargo business customer service and 2 other customer service phone centers b4 if you tell us you are recording the call we reserve the right to disconnect don't tell us! ha ha
    Last edited by blackdopey; 01-08-09 at 01:31 PM.
    01-08-09 12:47 AM
    i know for a fact in the state of Texas, it is legal to record a conversation. The conversation has to be two party only, and recording does not have to be disclosed. If a 3rd party is involved, it has to be disclosed at that time. This is per my attorney when I informed them I was recording my conversations with my ex, during my custody battle.

Not sure how many other states are this way, but this was my experience.
    01-08-09 12:52 AM
    These threads always move from "is there an app for this" to "it's illegal!" If you are going to record your calls, check your local laws.
    Agreed. Unless anyone responding to this is actually an Attorney
    with knowledge of the statutes in the OP's jurisdiction I think just
    answering the "is there an app..." question would just make more sense.
    01-08-09 01:30 AM
    you can do this, inbound only right now, with Google voice...

Calls: Recording phone calls

To record your call, simply press 4. You can do it when you first accept a call, or any time after it's started. Pressing 4 again (or hanging up) will stop it.
    Your recordings are saved online and you can access them just like you do with voicemail.
    Note: at this time you can only record calls you receive on your Google Voice number. You can't record calls you initiate using our Click2Call from our website or the Return Call feature from your voicemail.
    There are different laws that apply to call recording, so check your current state and Federal laws before using this feature. To assist in the compliance of these laws, we provide an automated verbal announcement when call recording has been initiated and when it has been stopped.
    10-27-09 10:28 AM
    I want an app like this for when I deal with customer service reps. Sometimes one will tell you one thing and then another tells you something else when you call back and just makes your problems worse.

At least then I can hit them with a recording and let them know what I've been promised and what they will deliver.
    And it wouldn't be illegal - they notify you they "may record" the conversation. If you record the conversation, it is quite fair.
    10-28-09 01:51 PM
    And it wouldn't be illegal - they notify you they "may record" the conversation. If you record the conversation, it is quite fair.
    You will have to inform them though, as fairness and law don't always mix.
    10-28-09 01:54 PM
    RIM doesn't provide access to call audio for 3rd Party applications.
    10-28-09 03:53 PM
    You will have to inform them though, as fairness and law don't always mix.
    Actually, no you don't. If they play the message "your call may be recorded" you should assume it is. Same as they should assume it is also. In other words, if one side says it is and the other records it, it is the same.

If you can find something diffent in the CFR. Cite a source. I have never seen anything that would prevent me from making a record for my purposes if they are doing the same.

Last edited by Exiled Bulldawg; 10-29-09 at 07:11 PM.
    10-28-09 06:55 PM
    you can have (inbound only) calls recorded with Google Voice if you've got it, just have to hit the #4 i think it is when you want it to start, then it will save it and also transcribe it too.

only works for inbound though like I said, but that makes sense as it would interfere with outbound calls if you're going through menu options on a number you called.

EDIT: oh woops, it was already mentioned hehe. anyway, I've got a few invites if anyone wants to try it.
    Last edited by flyawaymike; 10-28-09 at 08:06 PM. Reason: invites
    10-28-09 08:00 PM
    Working for a wireless network provider I can throw a bit of useful information your way.

Providing you ask the person you are speaking to in advance that you intend to record your conversation and they agree to it you can start recording.

When you hit the record button you'd need to ask again just to confirm 'on tape' that they have consented to the recording.

Under no circumstances would you be able to record without first confirming that the person you are speaking too is happy for you to record.

Naturally there is no known application in existance at the moment for the BlackBerry - but this is a general rule whether recording from a wireless device or a landline.

And when calling a customer service team - you are legally obliged to request a copy of any notes a company may hold about you - there is normally a charge incurred for doing this - and UK law states that it can be only be a maximum of �10.00.

You are also legally able to request transcripts of your calls should you require them - useful stuff
    Last edited by coxthefox; 10-29-09 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Typo...
    10-29-09 05:51 AM
    When I was having issues with Verizon, at one point I would tell them I was recording this call as part of a quality control program. In all cases the manager said he/she didn't want the call recorded which led into yet another debate with Verizon. But back to the OPs question, I haven't seen anything like this.
    11-01-09 06:36 AM
    You guys are aware that Google Voice give you the option to record incoming ( but not out going) phone calls ? Or did everyone miss that?

Edit : nevermind two people have already posted it.
    11-01-09 07:55 AM
    enough with the illegal / legal bs... no one here is a lawyer. google voice will notify the caller that the call will be record when you press 4. And, if you use an app or device to record BIG DEAL unless you're going to use that recorded convo in a court of law then who gives a flying F.
    11-01-09 01:23 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD