Okay this is kind of bizarre. I created a facebook account using a brand new email address that is not linked to my blackberry in any way. I created the account from my home computer. And lo and behold, I get the welcome message notification in the facebook app, for the new account, on my blackberry! I'm like, WTF? How is this possible? Anyone else experienced this?

Just to clarify, this was brand new gmail account, and brand new facebook account. I do use a facebook account already on my phone but it's actually linked to my blackberry, whereas the new one isn't, and yet I'm receiving facebook app notifications for the new account even though I've never logged into it from the phone.
    Last edited by soltzer; 04-16-10 at 07:37 PM.
    04-16-10 07:30 PM
    Yes! It happened a week ago! I had planned to look at both accounts but I forgot about it until i read your post.

I created a company facebook page on my computer at work with a new email address and the notification appeared in my personal facebook account on my blackberry.
    04-16-10 07:46 PM
    Well at least I'm not the only one! Was kind of a freak out moment, thinking whoa wait a minute how'd they know? Only thing I can think of is that they linked the new account to the ip address of my other account, and thats how they were able to send the notifications to the phone. Still creepy though big brother sees all apparently
    04-16-10 09:18 PM
    Its the welcome message and a how to message. Its not an actual notification like so and so sent you a message or commented on your wall/picture. Almost any app designed by rim gives you a welcome message the first time you log into it with a new email, even the twitter app does. So in all reality no you did not get notifications you got a thank you from rim and a how to use/ basic features list. Just part of what the app does, no actual notification was sent to your phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-10 11:27 PM
    Yes, it is creepy. I had first thought it had something to do with my company email. I used [email protected] for one account and [email protected] for the second. But, that cannot be correct because employees of big companies would be getting each others notification. The same thing with the IP address. Many people use public computers or friends laptops to check facebook. It would be front page news if people would be receiving notifications from unknown accounts.
    04-17-10 08:42 AM
    Its the welcome message and a how to message. Its not an actual notification like so and so sent you a message or commented on your wall/picture. Almost any app designed by rim gives you a welcome message the first time you log into it with a new email, even the twitter app does. So in all reality no you did not get notifications you got a thank you from rim and a how to use/ basic features list. Just part of what the app does, no actual notification was sent to your phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That's just it though, I'm still getting notifications from the brand new account on my blackberry (comments, msgs etc, although I can't actually view them from the facebook app), even though I've never logged into that account with my phone, and the email address I used to create the new facebook account also is not linked to my blackberry.
    04-17-10 11:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD