When i download BB maps, it comes into the phone as an add-on app, but without the icon. I cannot find a way to "open" this app. I don't have BBM on the phone, and i was wondering if the two were somehow hooked together. Does anybody have a solution ? Thanks in advance for any help given.
    06-24-10 07:28 PM
    AT&T blocks it to try to get you to use their paid navigator service.

You can open it by using Quicklaunch ---> create a shortcut to it in the quicklaunch menu and (I think) by adding yourself as a contact in blackberry messenger and sending your location.

That being said. I think Blackberry maps sucks. It doesn't even have my street on it. I live in a relatively new subdivision, but it has been there for about 7 years.
    06-24-10 07:56 PM
    Thanks for the info. I'll pass on BB maps, but i think that AT&T has way too much power if they're able to block an app going to a BB phone. What's next, blocking incoming e-mails about rival companies ?
    06-24-10 08:14 PM
    Do a search here at crackberry. There is a tiny app to download called "bbmaps launch" and it will launch the app for you. ATT hides the icon, yet the map application is there.

As to those who don't like bbmaps, that is okay, but some of us like myself like the dashboard to check your car's speedometer versus what you are really doing. And it is not the app that does not have some streets, it is the map dataset of GIS that has yet to be updated with your street, which often has to do with the municipality having the streets recorded officially. And if it is a subdivision, private map data sourcers may not be allowed to drive them to get GPS coordinates for the street data. If it matters I work in a surveying/civil engineering firm and use GIS often.

Short story is search for bbmaps launch and use it. I use both bbmaps and google maps on my Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-10 07:46 AM
    RIM makes this available -- download it and it will force the BB Maps icon to appear:

http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/dev...?code=maps_sbi
    06-25-10 08:26 AM
    And it is not the app that does not have some streets, it is the map dataset of GIS that has yet to be updated with your street, which often has to do with the municipality having the streets recorded officially. And if it is a subdivision, private map data sourcers may not be allowed to drive them to get GPS coordinates for the street data. If it matters I work in a surveying/civil engineering firm and use GIS often.
    Google maps has my street, mapquest has my street, my Magellen GPS has my street, my wife's Garmin has my street, my brother's built in Nav in his car has my street... BBmaps does not. Therefore, my comment that it sucks stands.

06-25-10 08:32 AM
    Google maps has my street, mapquest has my street, my Magellen GPS has my street, my wife's Garmin has my street, my brother's built in Nav in his car has my street... BBmaps does not. Therefore, my comment that it sucks stands.

Well if it doesn't have your street then I'm not using it! LOL.
    06-25-10 11:25 AM

Maybe you should move to a more popular street.
    06-25-10 03:15 PM
    Maybe you should move to a more popular street.
    Nah, I like it quiet. It just makes it hard for me to find my way home.

06-25-10 03:34 PM
    RIM makes this available -- download it and it will force the BB Maps icon to appear:

http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/dev...?code=maps_sbi
    I've got my BBmaps back, and the icon launcher, but the icon is smaller than it used to be. The theme that i'm using has all icons at regular size, but the BBmaps one is slightly smaller. Is this the "new" icon, or am i seeing things ? Since my eyesight is 20/20, maybe there's a way to re-size it ? Anybody have any ideas ?
    06-27-10 02:31 PM
    I've got my BBmaps back, and the icon launcher, but the icon is smaller than it used to be. The theme that i'm using has all icons at regular size, but the BBmaps one is slightly smaller. Is this the "new" icon, or am i seeing things ? Since my eyesight is 20/20, maybe there's a way to re-size it ? Anybody have any ideas ?
    Update on BBmaps icon size. The one on my phone was smaller. When i downloaded " lbs_ribbon " for BBmaps, the icon returned to it's normal size. I guess it's a part of the BB Maps 5.0.0 download that i didn't have installed. The Force is strong with me.
    06-27-10 09:05 PM

Hahaha I get it. That would bug me too, but missing your street that even you cannot find may not be anything more than a sign that your neighborhood is about to disappear! ;-)

BTW, what datset does bbmaps use? Anyone, anyone?

06-28-10 10:52 PM
    I purchased QuickLaunch. I am able to use BB Maps by setting an option in QuickLaunch to open it.
    06-28-10 11:19 PM

*url removed because I'm a noob
    I went to this link and only got a dead end and I couldn't find anything on crackberry for bbmaps launch (search turned up nothing). This is kinda frustrating and I wish there were some kind of workaround.
    I tried google maps on my BB and it doesn't seem to work...keeps giving me a server error. I tried it with the mobile network and with my wi-fi network on and neither seem to work.
    This is so irritating and now I'm forced to keep looking online somewhere for an answer.
    06-29-10 01:02 AM
    HedoBum,
    You have to go to that url via your phone.
    If you try to go there via your computer, you'll find that dead end you mentioned.

I've used it several times... it works fine.
    06-29-10 09:15 AM
    Here is the bbmaps launcher link :

http://www.gln.bz/ads.nsf/bbmapslaunch.jad

Last edited by pineypl; 06-29-10 at 10:03 PM.
    06-29-10 10:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD