I got my phone from someone in Utah. However I keep getting random Utah weather alerts thru Accuweather.com. How do I get rid of this? It shows up under my messages and I will get alerts periodically throughout the day. The other night I got about 4 of them between midnight and 5am. I have tried contacting the guy who sold me the phone and he said something about push alerts, and I tried looking up online about the push alerts but have found nothing.

Thanks
    07-01-08 07:54 AM
    After you purchased the device, did you do a wipe on the handheld??

I would go to Options / Security Options / General Settings / Menu / Wipe Handheld

This will clear the device of anything he had on it! As for the alerts, he is saying they are push alerts from accuweather.com

I do not have this setup or have not toyed with it, but it sounds like he had some sort of alert setup through the website. Contact him again and ask him how to cancel it!! And what type of "message" or "alert" is it??
    07-01-08 07:58 AM
    That are coming thru show up in my messages box, when I click on it, it takes me to the internet and shows the 5 day forecast for Utah thru accuweather.com.

If I do the wipe it won't erase anything I have on it now will it? I think when I took it to Verizon the rep there cleared everything out. At least he said he did.

When I emailed him about how the messages keep coming up this is what he said:

To change the weather updates, go to the browser and click on the help link in bookmarks, then scroll to the bottom and look for "push links". I think that's it. If not, do a search on the internet for blackberry push links.

Thats all he could tell me.
    07-01-08 08:42 AM
    Okay, so the messages are browser messages. And they are push alerts from your Browser... I do not have those set up, so I honestly do not know how to fix it.

Somewhere within the BB Browser it sounds like he has that added. Sorry that was not very helpful...

The only thing I can think is to go to the Browser and go to the Bookmarks and see if it is in there. But if the Verizon rep actually did wipe your handheld once you got it, then this should already be gone!
    07-01-08 08:45 AM
    Yeah I clicked into my folders and it is showing under Browser Messages. I will try to look around on the phone to see if I can find where the link is. Thanks for all your help!
    07-01-08 09:00 AM
    I get accuweather alerts emailed to me at gmail, and of course check gmail with the BB, so the alerts show up in messages just as you described. I wonder if the previous owner's bis email is still tied to your BB and the emails are coming in that way. just a thought....
    07-01-08 09:05 AM
    I get accuweather alerts emailed to me at gmail, and of course check gmail with the BB, so the alerts show up in messages just as you described. I wonder if the previous owner's bis email is still tied to your BB and the emails are coming in that way. just a thought....
    Yeah, this seems peculiar. You should talk to Verizon about getting the OLD BIS accounts removed.
    07-01-08 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD