You sound like you need very specialized radar maps, much more than any of us would ever use or know what they even mean. It's also alot to expect for a $2 app

True. But folks that use such a program would be willing to pay much more for it.

Attributes would be good for everyone as knowing where hail is and a suspected TVS (Tornado Vortex Signature) would be useful. Attributes also show the speed and direction of a storm cell.

Zoom would also be a good addon.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    09-21-11 06:40 AM
    09-22-11 10:21 AM
    I just wanted to say the newest version of QuickWeather is absolutely awesome! I, for one, appreciate the hard work and time commitment on the part of the developer to bring this app to such a high state of usefulness and functionality. Thank you!!!
    09-22-11 05:05 PM
    Much improved radar since the last time I tried it. A little slow to load but it loads and works.

I will still use BerryWeather as I own a PWS (Personal Weather Station) and BW allows me to
    use it for my weather conditions as posted to WU.

But the radar portion of BW is very poor at best.

Keep refining the radar and you might get the attention of some storm spotters and chasers
    as their is no good radar apps out their for the BB phone line.

Issues? Suggestions

1. I noticed after rebooting that I had to select the location again. Should it be doing that?

2. How does the radar update? Do I need to hit "Update Weather Now" or hit "View Weather Radar again? (can the radar be made to update/refresh itself while being displayed?)

3. Can SRV (Storm Relative Velocity) scans be added? (or is this what your calling Storm Relative Motion, if so you might want to correct the terminology) Can more tilts be added and what tilt are you using now?

4. Can storm attributes be added to CR? (Meso, hail, TVS etc..)

5. What tilt are you using for BR? Can more be added (0.5. 1.5, 2.5, 3.4, 4.3, 6.1, etc)

Thanks!

Tim
    The more layers you select the longer it takes radar to load.

1) No

2) You have to hit View Radar again. This can be done from radar options quicker.
    Maybe i'll add a refresh button

3) I use the terminology used on NWS. I can change it if you want. I don't know what tilts are. Are they avail on NWS?

4) Is this avail on NWS?
    5) I dont know.
    09-22-11 05:58 PM
    Update: 09-22-11 QuickWeather has been updated to v1.8.2
    * Fixed bug where icon sometimes would not update
    * Fixed bug for Turkish and 日本語 OS's.
    andyahs likes this.
    09-22-11 06:40 PM
    yepp.. still using it everyday!

CheetahAce and andyahs like this.
    09-22-11 08:50 PM

ThemesInMotion.com: Nikki Weather.bwi

In celebration of a new weather app for our Blackberries, I made a new weather set that has been optimized just for QW. It can also be used for Berryweather. Special shout out goes to Dollface for this.

You guys know the routine. Click the link from your Blackberry browser and the file will automatically download and install in the proper directory.
    Last edited by ba_hamilton; 09-22-11 at 09:10 PM.
    09-22-11 09:07 PM
    Nikki Weather icons by BA Hamilton

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    ba_hamilton and CheetahAce like this.
    09-22-11 09:11 PM
    yepp.. still using it everyday!

Click to view quoted image
    cute icons.
    09-22-11 09:38 PM
    Click to view quoted image

ThemesInMotion.com: Nikki Weather.bwi

In celebration of a new weather app for our Blackberries, I made a new weather set that has been optimized just for QW. It can also be used for Berryweather. Special shout out goes to Dollface for this.

You guys know the routine. Click the link from your Blackberry browser and the file will automatically download and install in the proper directory.
    Awesome. I feel honored. Thanks a lot!
    09-22-11 09:39 PM
    this is one of my fave apps now !! i can use my absolute favorite weather set !! Thx again CheetahAce for updating the app for all of us weather icon addicts

Eleni 22 likes this.
    09-23-11 07:59 AM
    Update: 09-22-11 QuickWeather has been updated to v1.8.2
    * Fixed bug where icon sometimes would not update
    * Fixed bug for Turkish and 日本語 OS's.
    hi Cheetah, I was jw when those of us that purchased on bb app world would see this update.

I'm currently having the issue of the app not updating ATM. It's been raining for the past hour-and half but Qw is still showing fog.

TIA.
    EDIT: ok, just a little addl info for you, going into the app and clicking the 'update' didn't work. I had to actually disable QW and then re-enable it for it to update to current weather conditions.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 09-23-11 at 10:41 AM.
    09-23-11 10:33 AM
    The more layers you select the longer it takes radar to load.

1) No
    Cool. I noticed it does retain it, just doent display it in the setup section.

2) You have to hit View Radar again. This can be done from radar options quicker.
    Maybe i'll add a refresh button
    That would be great!

3) I use the terminology used on NWS. I can change it if you want. I don't know what tilts are. Are they avail on NWS?
    Storm motion is the movement of the storm itself.
    SRV is the movement and direction of winds within the cell. Either toward of away from the radar site. This allow folks to see couplets or winds close to each other going in opposite directions. This could indicate a tornado. It will also indicate the speed of winds like straight line winds. Remember, radar does not "see" air. It reflects off the moisture or rain drops in the air.

The radar you are using is termed Level 3. Level 2 is more detailed but not free like Level 3.
    BR is the old Level 2 so it is very detailed when compared to CR.
    Yes all Level3 products are available from the NWS.

The WSR99D radar used by the NWS makes multiple sweeps (rotations).
    Two at the lowest level/angle then one at each preset angle (tilts).
    They do this so a person can look at the different tilts to see each layer of a storm cell.
    Lets say a cell has a Mesocyclone in it. These are what gives the storm cell the spin it needs
    to develop a tornado or severe weather (supercell).
    You can look at the different tilts to see how far this rotation extends down or up within a storm cell.

I would suspect that the tilt being used is the lowest tilt (0.5)
    (0.5. 1.5, 2.5, 3.4, 4.3, 6.1, etc)

You also have to remember that the earth is round and the radar beam travels in a straight line and does not follow the curvature of the earth. So the further away from the radar site is from the storm cell the higher in the air the beam is.

Composite Radar (CR) is a computer derived product of all the tilts. Showing the most
    intense radar returns from all the tilts.

One important thing to remember is this is all free from the NWS. Thousands of people
    access this free information during a severe weather event. So the servers can bog down or stop delivering during peak usage time. That why having a 3rd party "paid for" source is important to many storm chasers, spotters, emergency managers etc.

4) Is this avail on NWS?

Yes. Below is a link to the products available from the NWS FTP site which
    includes the storm attribute tables etc.

Central Weather Surveillance Radar Server - WSR-88D Product Files

Here is the FTP site URL:
    ftp://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/

5) I dont know.
    I suspect tilt 0.5.

As a side note. These products SRV, BR, BV etc (except CR) have multiple tilts.

VIL (vertically Intergrated Liquid) is a good one to add. This shows how much moisture is in a column of air
    within the storm cell. This can indicate the chances of hail, downburts winds etc)
    BV (Base Velocity is another good one for staight line wind detection.

Basic Radar stuff:
    http://www.mnsu.edu/weather/current/.../radar_edu.htm

More detailed radar stuff:
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/mkx/radar/radarpt1.htm

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 09-23-11 at 10:58 AM.
    09-23-11 10:42 AM
    Love the infos that can displayed on the homescreen with this app.. especially with the option to use different BW icons.

Would it be possible to add an option to display when the weather has been updated? i.e. the time..

Overall, great app for a great price.
    09-23-11 01:24 PM
    Re: You guys know the routine. Click the link from your Blackberry browser and the file will automatically download and install in the proper directory.

Well, I downloaded the icon but according to the note in the QuickWeather options screen:

"If you wish to use Berryweather Icon Sets (*.bwi) ensure they are located in the Media Card/BlackBerry/Berryweather/ directory"

For the life of me, I can't find this directory. I'm using File Scout Lite, by the way.

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm still pretty new to this.

And by the way... I LOVE this little program. T.Y. NikkiSoft
    09-23-11 02:49 PM
    Re: You guys know the routine. Click the link from your Blackberry browser and the file will automatically download and install in the proper directory.

Well, I downloaded the icon but according to the note in the QuickWeather options screen:

"If you wish to use Berryweather Icon Sets (*.bwi) ensure they are located in the Media Card/BlackBerry/Berryweather/ directory"

For the life of me, I can't find this directory. I'm using File Scout Lite, by the way.

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm still pretty new to this.

And by the way... I LOVE this little program. T.Y. NikkiSoft
    If you have icon set(s) in that directory just use the option to select one in QW. Do not use file scout.
    09-23-11 02:54 PM
    The option for the new set doesn't show up in QW. Only thing there is "Default". I'm assuming that is because the file is in the wrong directory... but I can't find the correct directory (Media Card/BlackBerry/Berryweather/) on my phone, or I would move it. Yes I downloaded it and, yes it installed and, yes I'm running the most up to date version of QW.
    09-23-11 03:09 PM
    The option for the new set doesn't show up in QW. Only thing there is "Default". I'm assuming that is because the file is in the wrong directory... but I can't find the correct directory (Media Card/BlackBerry/Berryweather/) on my phone, or I would move it. Yes I downloaded it and, yes it installed and, yes I'm running the most up to date version of QW.
    did you have the berryweather app ? that is before you got quickweather
    09-23-11 03:16 PM
    If you do not have Berryweather installed you will have to create the directory and make sure the icon sets are in that directory.

The directory would follow this path:

Then in QW

09-23-11 03:17 PM
    Ah... dummy me!. I misread. It says, very clearly "Berryweather Directory" NOT "Quickweather Directory". No wonder I couldn't find it. I will create the directory and move the icon set into it.

Thank you, thank you...
    09-23-11 03:23 PM
    That worked. Love the new icon. I'm learning by leaps and bounds. Thank you again!
    09-23-11 03:31 PM
    That worked. Love the new icon. I'm learning by leaps and bounds. Thank you again!
    now you go to the berryweather thread and get loads of bw sets to use with quickweather . there are alot of cute ones
    Have fun!!!
    09-23-11 03:38 PM
    If I do a battery pull or restart of my 9900 for whatever reason, Quickweather does not start up. I have to go to the BB Menu and click on QuickWeather to start it up. Is that they way it's supposed to work or am I missing a setting somewhere?
    09-23-11 04:00 PM
    If I do a battery pull or restart of my 9900 for whatever reason, Quickweather does not start up. I have to go to the BB Menu and click on QuickWeather to start it up. Is that they way it's supposed to work or am I missing a setting somewhere?
    Yes you have to manually start it.
    09-23-11 04:04 PM
    Is anyone else having trouble with their home location not updating to night icons after the latest update? I up dated last night and I would only get the sun icon not the moon. If I switch to another location I get a moon icon. This is happening on my bold OS 5 and my husband's torch. How do I get my night icons back for my home location?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-11 08:02 PM
201 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD