MLH Software has just completed a new application called QuickView and is looking for beta testers to try it out and provide us feedback.

The idea for QuickView was born from the desire to have on the BlackBerry the PlayBook gesture that shows the status bar. With QuickView on your BlackBerry, you can now pull down a banner of information from most applications by using the physical keys on the side. After having this quick access to information, we decided to take it further by using the best feature of the BlackBerry smartphone, the physical keyboard. When the QuickView banner is displayed, you can type a command to access even more information or create new information. We believe there are times when typing something can be faster than navigating a screen, and we have tried to make this true with QuickView. With QuickView, you can create a new calendar appointment or new task faster than with the native BlackBerry applications. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

List of all commands:
    - About - Displays QucikView about screen
    - Bluetooth - Opens BlackBerry Bluetooth setting screen
    - Calendar - Display appoinments for a give day, or create a new appoinment
    - Calendar New - create new appointment.
    - Yesterday - Display appoinments for yesterday
    - Today - Display appoinments for today
    - Tomorrow - Display appoinments for tomorrow
    - Sunday - Display appoinments for Sunday
    - Monday - Display appoinments for Monday
    - Tuesday - Display appoinments for Tuesday
    - Wednesday - Display appoinments for Wednesday
    - Thursday - Display appoinments for Thursday
    - Friday - Display appoinments for Friday
    - Saturdayday - Display appoinments for Saturday
    - Calendar [Date] - 8/23, June 5, Aug 12
    - Call [phone number] - Place a phone call
    - CrackBerry - Display CrackBerry website
    - Date - Display current date or computes a date
    - Days till - computes the days till the date
    - Days since - computes the days since the date
    - Define - Display the definition of the word using Wordnik
    - Evernote - Post a quick note to your Evernote account
    - *incomplete* Facebook - post a quick facebook status
    - *incomplete* FourSquare - quickly check in to places
    - Google [search text] - Quick google search
    - GPS - Display current longitude and latitude
    - Help - Display help screen
    - Math - Preform simple math or display calculator. 40*52 - Type a math problem at the prompt. Permissible operators: + - / * ( ).
    - New - Create new calendar appoinments, tasks, memo notes, and emails
    - Note - Quick note/reminder that is displayed in the QuickView banner. Adds notifaction icon to home scren while a note is present as a reminder.
    - ProcessList - Display a list of currently running processes.
    - Profiles - Display BlackBerry sound/alert profile screen
    - Run - Start an application.
    - Note list - list the app names
    - Screenshot - Save the current screenshot to a file or post to Facebook.
    - SMS - Create a new text/sms message
    - SystemInfo - Display BlackBerry model number, OS Version, PIN, Battery and Signal strength.
    - Time - Displays current time.
    - Tip [bill amount] {%} - Display tip amount for give dollar amount for 10%, 15%, 18%, 20%. Or add extact percent as third parameter.
    - URL [web page url] - Display a web page. Or type a url that starts with http: or www. at the command prompt to display the web page.
    - Weather [city or zip] - Display weather info for the given city.
    - Wikipedia [search text] - Display search results from wikipedia.com.

QuickView - Tips and Tricks
    - Just start typing when the QuickView banner is displayed to enter command mode.
    - Click or press escape key to dismiss QuickView banner.
    - When typing a command, pressing <space> will select the suggested command.
    - When typing a command, pressing <alt> + <space> will cycle through suggested commands
    - Holding <alt> when pressing <enter> will display alternative UI for some commands.

You can read more about QuickView and see a demo video via the link below.
    QuickView by MLH Software

You can download and try it by opening the link below on your BlackBerry.
    Download QuickView

QuickView requires BlackBerry OS version 6.0 or greater.

Please provide us your feedback back reply to this forum thread.
    Last edited by MLH Software; 03-14-12 at 09:04 AM.
    03-13-12 09:54 AM
    Just loaded it and testing it out. Looks very cool so far. I'll try and put it through the ringer.
    03-13-12 10:27 AM
    I plan to also post emails we get to this forum so everyone can read and add to the feedback. MLH feedback is in blue font.

The App is really good.

First thing: When I press the hotkey, there is the fade effect of an opening application, then the popup come up. A little confusing.

MLH - Do you see the fade effect when you press the hotkey from other screens beside the home screen? The home screen is doing the fade effect. I agree it looks odd, but I can't control it. - MLH

Is it possible, that the weather can be displayed in Celsius? For Germany.

MLH - Currently only support Fahrenheit, but I will add it to the list to support Celsius. Were you able to get weather for your location? - MLH

In the popup it says: "no calendar event". But there are events in my calendar. Or for what are they?

MLH - "no calendar event" - The Calendar widget is designed to show your "next" appointment. It looks for an appointment with a start time between 20 minutes ago and 60 minutes from now. The idea is to provide you info on what meeting you should be in right now or in the next 60 minutes. We need to put this detail some in the help and add options to allow you to control the time range. - MLH

For the call option, is it possible to integrate the Contacts?

MLH - It is on our list to add contact support for calling, emails, etc. - MLH

Is there any customization for the popup and the "typing commands"? For example a own shortcut to a website, that when u type "work" that you go to the website of your work.

MLH - You can create your own shortcut commands. We plan to add UI to create shortcuts soon, but for now you can create them via the "Set" command. For example to create a web short call MLH that opens www.mlhsoftware.com type the following to create it.

Set MLH url www.mlhsoftware.com <enter>

Then to use the short cut type
    $MLH

$ commands will be expanded when you press <space> or <enter>. For example $clipboard or $cb is a built in command that expands to the contents of your clipboard. I chose $ as it is a key on the BlackBerry that is easy to type without having to use <alt> or <sym>. Does the currency key on your BlackBerry map to $ or something else since you are in Germany? Might need to make this configurable based on the currency key of the BlackBerry.- MLH

Can you perform a "New SMS" command? Didnt found it.

MLH - We don't have new SMS command, but we can add it to the list. - MLH

I love it. The Math option and all these little things, other apps don't got. The small things make it special.

Sincerely
    Nicolas
    03-13-12 12:10 PM
    Good app! would b waiting for temperature in centigrade
    03-14-12 03:09 AM
    New version released (0.0.0.5).

Download QuickView

Change Log:
    - Added SMS command to create a new text message. Command format: SMS [message text]. This command will open a new SMS message window with the message text filled.
    - Options command to displays the QuickView options screen.
    - Improvement to options screen UI.
    - Option to enable/disable each widget that displays in the banner.
    - Option for Fahrenheit or Celsius for temperature display. Note this only works for current temperature and not high/low. The weather data I am receiving only has Celsius for current temperature.
    - Option to enable/disable Note icon. When you create a quick note, you have the option if you want the note notification icon to show on the home screen.
    - Option to change the font and background color for the banner.
    - Shortcuts now supports the currency key for '$', '€', '�', '�'.
    - Fixed Net.rim..vm.StackOverflow error when you restart QuickView and have a quick note set.
    Last edited by MLH Software; 03-14-12 at 08:33 AM.
    03-14-12 08:30 AM
    Would like to not have the current background shown underneath, so an option to have blank background (or maybe an specified image?) would be nice.

I have an 9810 and when using landscape, well, it is not as useful as the keyboard eats a large part of the screen. So, can the keyboard be controlled by an application? If so, once I execute a command, having the keyboard go away would be really nice. This would mean having the Back key (I think that's what it is called) not have the application hide when it is displaying results though, since there will not be a space key to press.

So far, this is really awesome. Assuming you developed this in Web Works and not JavaME, would really really like to see this for the Playbook as well!
    03-14-12 02:53 PM
    So far the app is working great! Such a cool idea! The only problem I have so far is how to change the city for the weather? I look forward to any help. Thanks!
    03-14-12 04:32 PM
    The is the coolest, smartest, best, and easiest to use application I have ever used on a Blackberry smartphone in my life!! Good work!!
    03-14-12 08:31 PM
    @JAKrzysztow Thanks for the feedback. I have not done much yet with landscape mode and virtual keyboard. I'll see what I can do. This is a native BlackBerry Java (J2ME) app.

@bldshd - Thanks for the feedback. You should be able to set the weather city in the options screen. Press the menu key when you see the QuickView is open and select options.

@Marvin-13 - Thanks for the kind words. My goal is the make it as easy and intuitive as possible.

I am also looking for suggestions on a new name for this app. I feel it has already out grown the "QuickView" name with all the features I have added.
    03-14-12 09:35 PM
    "QuickView" is actually already taken anyway.

How about QuickFunctions? EasyFunctions? QuickUtilities? UtiliyBuddy?

I do have one suggestion though. Is there a way to make it so that it doesn't pop up in the music app when you are trying to turn the volume down?
    03-14-12 09:53 PM
    @JAKrzysztow Thanks for the feedback. I have not done much yet with landscape mode and virtual keyboard. I'll see what I can do. This is a native BlackBerry Java (J2ME) app.
    Landscape or portrait, the big thing is the virtual keyboard and hiding/showing it appropriately if possible.

I figured it was a J2ME. The more I dig into their WebWorks, the more I see that has a long way to go......specially on the Playbook side.

As to the name, what is the goal of the program beyond quickly viewing various information?
    03-15-12 09:53 AM
    So far the app is working great! Such a cool idea! The only problem I have so far is how to change the city for the weather? I look forward to any help. Thanks!
    When the application is active, press the Menu key and then the Options menu item. Look for Weather Widget and set your information in there.
    Last edited by JAKrzysztow; 03-15-12 at 10:06 AM.
    03-15-12 09:56 AM
    Wouldn't mind a way to get more than the next item in the day for the Calendar (maybe all for today) and maybe a Todo/Task Widget (with more that 1 item for it as well - again all for the day).

Anything that requires a contact/number, would be nice if you could somehow fill in the blanks....for instance: SMS. "SMS fred hello" - would search the address book for fred, prompt which number (though Mobile is the obvious choice) and have the text ready to send like now. Call would behave similarly, though mobile vs any other number would have equal weight there.

History would be rather awesome as well. So once I type "SMS fred" and you now know the number, next time I type "SMS fred", you "know" my choice.
    03-15-12 10:06 AM
    New version released (0.0.0.6).

Download QuickView

Change Log:
    - fixed issue with Options getting lost after a phone reboot
    - Fixed defect with Color Option field saving default value when field not changed.
    - Added check for new Version updates
    - Update Color Option field to show color
    - Changed volume button delay from 2 seconds to 5 seconds (too actually change volume, pressing the volume button a second time will disable QuickView for 5 seconds to allow Volume to be changed.)
    - Update the following command to use smarter input fields.
    - Call
    - Define
    - Google
    - Note
    - SMS
    - Tip
    - URL
    - Wiki
    03-16-12 11:58 AM
    New version released (0.0.0.7).

Download QuickView

Change Log:

- Added Sync Interval option for Weather widget
    - Added option for Weather widget to show temperature icon on home screen (Note icon and temperature icon cannot be used at the same time.)
    - Added format option to weather widget
    Supported variables:
    {temp} - Displays current temperature in Fahrenheit or Celsius based on options setting.
    {city} - City name for current weather info
    {zip} - Zip code for current weather info
    {time} - Time weather info was reported
    {temp_c} - Displays current temperature Celsius
    {condition} - Displays current weather condition
    {humidity} - Displays current humidity
    {wind} - Displays current wind condition
    {high} - Displays today's high temperature in Fahrenheit
    {low} - Displays today's low temperature in Fahrenheit
    {dayOfWeek} - Displays today's name
    - Added format option for Time widget
    - Added format option to appointment widget
    Supported variables:
    {start} = Appointment start time as HH:mm or MM/dd for all day appointments
    {end} = Appointment end time as HH:mm or MM/dd for all day appointments
    {subject} = Appointment subject
    {location} = Appointment location
    {allDay} = Displays "All Day" for all day appointments
    {recurrence} = Displays "+" for appointments that repeat
    - Added option to appointment widget for format and customize "No Appointment" text
    - Fixed margin issue that caused UI issue at bottom of main screen
    - Added support for some fields to treat <alt> <currency key> or <shift><space> key combinations as a tab to move to next field
    - Added format param to Time Command.
    - Added new task command to create new tasks. (Still working to improve this command.)
    Last edited by MLH Software; 03-17-12 at 09:19 PM.
    03-17-12 09:11 PM
    Great app! I love the temperature icon feature! I still am trying to learn all the commands and get used to what it can do.

One issue I have seen - the weather location won't stay set after a reboot. I did notice that when I save changes to the config I get the following message: "Failed to save options data: file:///SDCard/QuickView/Settings.json". But it does save the change until I reboot.

Feature request - can you make the "sysinfo" information able to be copied to the clipboard as a whole and/or each item separately?

Thanks. Keep up the great work.
    03-19-12 12:48 PM
    Great app! I love the temperature icon feature! I still am trying to learn all the commands and get used to what it can do.

One issue I have seen - the weather location won't stay set after a reboot. I did notice that when I save changes to the config I get the following message: "Failed to save options data: file:///SDCard/QuickView/Settings.json". But it does save the change until I reboot.

Feature request - can you make the "sysinfo" information able to be copied to the clipboard as a whole and/or each item separately?

Thanks. Keep up the great work.
    I'm on the 0.0.0.7 release
    03-20-12 03:52 AM
    I too am seeing this after a reboot the first time I run the app. I too am running 0.0.7. My BB is a Torch 9810 running OS is 7.0.0.439.
    03-20-12 04:46 PM
    Do you have SDCards in your phones?
    03-20-12 06:42 PM
    I do have an 8gb card in mine. I know my bes server enables encryption on the SD card. I am not sure if that would cause a problem.
    03-21-12 08:34 PM
    New version released (0.0.0.8).

Download QuickView

One of the big changes in this release is support for hot keys. You can now map any key on the keyboard to any command in QuickView for an even faster way to execute that command. For example you can setup <alt>-T to the command "task" to create a quick task or <alt>-B to the command "run brickbreaker" to launch the brick breaker app. Another example is map <alt>-V to the command "profiles 6" to quickly change your sound profile to vibrate.

You can create a hot key via the options screen, or via the command line. The faster way to create a hot key is
    - First execute the command you want at the command prompt
    - Then select the menu key
    - Select options
    - Select Hot Keys
    - Press the Add button
    - Type the key you want in the Hot Key field
    - Type $lc (for last command) and space in the Command field to file in the last command
    - Press esc to save your changes.

Another change is you can save the SystemInfo to the clipboard by
    - Execute "SystemInfo" command
    - Execute "Clipboard $lr " command
    - $lr will expand to the contents of the last command and then be placed on the clipboard. Note: $lr only works for SystemInfo and Weather command. More commands will be supported in the next release.

Change Log:
    - Added more suggest test to Calendar command
    - Added Clipboard command that allows you to add text to the BlackBerry clipbaord
    - Added support for last command variable $lc or $lastcommand
    - Added support for last command result variable $lr or $lastresult
    - Added View email folder command to open a email folder
    - Update Set command to create Shortcuts and add shortcuts as suggested commands
    - Added new option screen to create command shortcuts
    - Added Hotkey command to create Hot keys
    - Added new option screen to create command hot keys
    - Updated SystemInfo command to save results to $lastresult variable
    - Updated Weather command to save results to $lastresult variable
    - Added menu item to option screen the reset options to default
    03-21-12 09:13 PM
    I have a 16 Gig card in my Torch.
    03-22-12 10:12 AM
    It still does it on the 0.0.0.8 release with a different SDCard.

On a new features note:

Any thoughts on having the weather widget pick up the location from the GPS?
    03-22-12 10:45 AM
    0.0.0.8 still gives error after reboot.
    03-22-12 12:12 PM
    Do you see the error if you make an option change or restart QuickView (with out rebooting the phone)? I am trying to see if the issue with accessing the SDCard is only right after a phone reboot.

Having the weather widget use GPS is a good idea, but I still need to figure out a good way to do it without impacting battery life.
    03-22-12 07:18 PM
49 12