I'm running QuickPull on a Torch 9810 and I've noticed something odd when it initiates a scheduled reset overnight.

Due to an error during the reset that's stopping the process midway, I've noticed that Quickpull initiates a 1kb file download of a file called 'QuickPullRebooter' through the browser. Maybe I'm being paranoid but why would an app designed to reset my phone need to download a file from its servers before the reset occurs.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this.
    03-09-12 12:25 PM
    I'm running QuickPull on a Torch 9810 and I've noticed something odd when it initiates a scheduled reset overnight.

Due to an error during the reset that's stopping the process midway, I've noticed that Quickpull initiates a 1kb file download of a file called 'QuickPullRebooter' through the browser. Maybe I'm being paranoid but why would an app designed to reset my phone need to download a file from its servers before the reset occurs.

There was a thread, back in the prehistoric days when I had my 9800, there was a thread that discussed this and some permissions it required on install. The author explained why he did things the way he did. I don't recall the explanation, but I and the rest seemed to accept that the way he did it was unusual but harmless.

Despite the above, I don't recall that QuickPull was ever updated for OS7. It shows in my AppWorld "My World" list as not being available. My phone didn't like it and I had issues trying to use it. Even if it appears to be OK on your phone, there may be some background issues you don't see and you may not be doing yourself any favors by using it. I'd suggest looking for an OS7 alternative.
    aminrajabi likes this.
    03-09-12 01:10 PM

First make sure you have the latest version available from AppWorld, which is v5.1.5.
    The 9810 is listed as a supported device, so you should be good to go.
    Free QuickPull - Download QuickPull - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

I do not know much about the 9810, but this appears to be normal (maybe).
    I say maybe because I don't believe you should be able to see that download.
    You probably are seeing it because of the error you mentioned mid way.

When you download an application with a fresh install, the device does not require a reboot. You will see a pop up indicating that the "application was successfully installed". But when you update an application or replace code on the device a reboot is always required.

These scheduled rebooting apps "trick" the OS into thinking you have downloaded and replaced previous code... Which always requires a reboot. I am guessing that the file you see is that code. But, you should not see it though. It should happen in the back round only.

I had an older version of QP on my old 9700 and found this "replacement" code was how it reboots the device autonomously.

Hope this helps
    raino and aminrajabi like this.
    03-09-12 01:49 PM
    Thank you both!

I do have the latest version but I will try to delete and do a clean install and see if that gets rid of the errors.
    03-10-12 12:36 PM
    Thank you both!

I do have the latest version but I will try to delete and do a clean install and see if that gets rid of the errors.
    I have to correct myself. QuickPull was one of the apps that was supposed to work on OS7. However, it didn't work right on my phone. I commented on that in the "still unavailable" thread. And I wasn't alone with that experience. Lots of other apps include manual reset functions. I'm sure timed rest is included in some. But, with OS7 and 7.1, I haven't seen a need for that. Although, since I upgrade and theme change pretty often my app required resets probably hide whether I need to or not.
    03-10-12 02:40 PM
    Thank you both!

No problem.
    I recommend doing just that. Especially if you may have "upgraded" and overwrote the previous code. That could be the cause of the error. Since this latest version has been totally re-written it is recommended on the description page that the old version be uninstalled prior to downloading this version.

@Kraski. Also, it is quite possible that you're correct in that it was not previously fully compatible with OS7 and 7.1 a while ago, as this new version has only been available from 4 days ago on March 6th. Anything prior to that date may not have worked.

I actually paid for my copy of QP back in 2009 (still have my activation code).
    I have moved on to MeterBerry since for additional functionality.
    I'm glad that QP is now offered for free!

Hope you get it working to your satisfaction!

Report back--
    03-10-12 03:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD