Hey I might sound really stupid here,
    But how do I exit an app such as Facebook QUICKLY?
    If I press the "End" key, I got to homescreen, but I didnt exit the app. On my old Sony Ericsson phone, holding the "Back" key for 3 seconds would close the app and return to homescreen.

Basically I'm asking how to quickly exit an app like facebook without having to go BACK from a friend's comment, then BACK from the notification tab, then BACK from the news feed, the FINALLY home.

Having to press the "Back" key so many times, or pressing the BB menu and scrolling down to "Close" is such a time waster
    03-21-11 12:46 AM
    For some apps like the BB browser, you can just hold back. Not for facebook, however, and it really depends on the app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-11 01:06 AM
    I think it is app-specific, as the previous poster said. For example, I have a weather app that gives you a choice in its settings as to what the function of the back (arrow) key should be. I think it's a choice between "close" and "exit" or something like that. I don't use facebook, but check its settings ...

03-21-11 01:23 AM
    Thanks for the help guys, that's what I feared. In that sense, BlackBerry apps really lack uniformity. This can be a good thing sometimes,.... but exiting apps is annoying (especially the ones like pandora and foursquare that ONLY close through the menu) and also the lack of a clock on every app buggs the **** out of me (But I solved this with QuickLaunch's Menu Time).

Thanks again
    03-21-11 02:03 AM
    it takes two seconds to hit menu and scroll to close/exit
    03-21-11 02:57 AM
    And that's the way to go for most apps. Some don't, but anything coded by RIM does.

03-21-11 03:06 AM
    Thanks for the help guys, that's what I feared. In that sense, BlackBerry apps really lack uniformity. This can be a good thing sometimes,.... but exiting apps is annoying (especially the ones like pandora and foursquare that ONLY close through the menu) and also the lack of a clock on every app buggs the **** out of me (But I solved this with QuickLaunch's Menu Time).

Thanks again
    You can't really close the Facebook app as it's one of the "always on" apps like bbm. If you press the back button not the end call button(which by the way it's for keeping apps in the background) Facebook will disapear from the list of active apps but it's still alive and checks for new updates regularly and receives notifications.

PS I think Rim should buy Quicklaunch
    03-21-11 03:14 AM
    You can't really close the Facebook app as it's one of the "always on" apps like bbm. If you press the back button not the end call button(which by the way it's for keeping apps in the background) Facebook will disapear from the list of active apps but it's still alive and checks for new updates regularly and receives notifications.

PS I think Rim should buy Quicklaunch
    actually, i think it actually does close. when i open the FB app, it takes a couple of seconds to refesh the updates. if the app was truly open, they would be refreshing in the background. also, with the push notifications via email, the app isnt really checking for new updates. it replys more on the email push for that.
    03-21-11 03:18 AM
    Yes but even on RIM apps like Messages or App World, I press the menu key, the press "close", and I am only taken to the previous page. So it requires 2-4 of pressing menu>close... lame

My solution by habit is just to punch the "Back" kay 80 times until I'm taken back to the homescreen..
    03-21-11 03:33 AM
    actually, i think it actually does close. when i open the FB app, it takes a couple of seconds to refesh the updates. if the app was truly open, they would be refreshing in the background. also, with the push notifications via email, the app isnt really checking for new updates. it replys more on the email push for that.
    Yeah, facebook is distinct. It doesnt stay running in the background as a process, but i think the BBOS access it using its APIs. Because, even when set to refresh feeds after a predefined amount of time, it doesnt have a process running listening. It either probably runs it when the set time is reached and then closes or is accessed through APIs. I really dont know how it works as i havent looked at the fb APIs.

In any case, its not actively running in the background even when set to autorefresh the feeds. And by background i dont mean the application switcher, i mean the process list in the engineering screen, which actually shows all the apps in the background, not only those using the java method to show the app in the application switcher.
    Last edited by gbsn; 03-21-11 at 03:54 AM.
    03-21-11 03:45 AM
    The Facebook app doesn't get the notifications from the email anymore, they're separate push notifications now.
    Also every time you open the Facebook app it will refresh but let's say if you have it set to refresh in the background every 30 minutes and you try to open the app in a no signal area you will have those updates from 30 minutes ago available to read even tho it can't update to newer ones.

The only real way to close the Facebook app is to log out.

03-21-11 04:43 AM
    There are three categories of programs to consider when it comes to closing them.

1). Programs like Caclulator can be closed simply by pressing the Escape key.

2). Closing other programs is best done by pressing the Menu key and scrolling down to Exit or Close or Quit. Some programs such as Google Maps and the Reutrs News services like to running the background so that they can download current data. Faceboook does the same thing. If you shut these apps down then, you get no data updates until you run them again.

There's a middle ground where pressing escape to exit the app quits but the app still sits there doing nothing. Again, pressing the Menu key and selecting Exit or whatever to fully close the app.

3). Programs that cannot be closed. These include Browser, Home Screen, Messages, Phone.

Repeatedly pressing the Escape key will often bring you back to the Home Screen but the app you were in is subject to the rules above and may or may not exit or close fully.
    03-21-11 05:04 AM
    3). Programs that cannot be closed. These include Browser, Home Screen, Messages, Phone.
    and of course, BBM. those are the main 5 items that cannot be closed.
    03-21-11 05:22 AM
    and of course, BBM. those are the main 5 items that cannot be closed.
    I always put BBM in that list but I just checked my phone and BBM (9700 OS6) was not running. It's on the phine but I have never launched BBM. I don't use it at all.

I think that once you run BBM it stays running but, from my phone it would seem that if it has never been initially run, then it does not.

That was why I did not include it in my list.
    03-21-11 05:28 AM
    There are three categories of programs to consider when it comes to closing them.

1). Programs like Caclulator can be closed simply by pressing the Escape key.

2). Closing other programs is best done by pressing the Menu key and scrolling down to Exit or Close or Quit. Some programs such as Google Maps and the Reutrs News services like to running the background so that they can download current data. Faceboook does the same thing. If you shut these apps down then, you get no data updates until you run them again.

There's a middle ground where pressing escape to exit the app quits but the app still sits there doing nothing. Again, pressing the Menu key and selecting Exit or whatever to fully close the app.

Repeatedly pressing the Escape key will often bring you back to the Home Screen but the app you were in is subject to the rules above and may or may not exit or close fully.
    But Facebook does get uodates and notifications while it's closed and not in the list of running apps.

03-21-11 05:45 AM
    But Facebook does get uodates and notifications while it's closed and not in the list of running apps.

i religiously close/exit my FB app. i get push notifications all the time when its closed (not running in app switcher) if thats what you mean by running apps. i wont get updated feeds/wall posts unless its opened though as u stated.
    03-21-11 07:09 AM

Well SOMETHING to do with Facebook is still running in that case. It is just not visible or reporting itself.

What a nicely written app.... The word trojan springs to mind but, of couse, how could Facebook do that?
    03-21-11 07:13 AM
    i religiously close/exit my FB app. i get push notifications all the time when its closed (not running in app switcher) if thats what you mean by running apps. i wont get updated feeds/wall posts unless its opened though as u stated.
    That's the thing tho, you do get updated feeds/wall posts, you just don't notice it as every time you launch the app it does another update on top of the periodical one you have set. Try turning the signal off next time before you launch the app, you'll see the new updates then that you got at the last set periodical check

03-21-11 08:39 AM
    Well SOMETHING to do with Facebook is still running in that case. It is just not visible or reporting itself.

What a nicely written app.... The word trojan springs to mind but, of couse, how could Facebook do that?
    Not really, I want an "always on" experience from my blackberry even when it comes to Facebook. I like the reasurance that everything is working in the background as it should.

03-21-11 08:43 AM
    Not really, I want an "always on" experience from my blackberry even when it comes to Facebook. I like the reasurance that everything is working in the background as it should.

Agreed that the "always on" experience is good. My point however is that if there is a job running on the phone, then you should be able to see it.

Facebook apears to be accessing your network without showing itself. THAT is not good.
    03-21-11 10:11 AM
    Don't know if it's worth mentioning, but you don't even need to scroll down when you press the BB button, press the BB button then press c and you're taken right to the close option (unless there is something else on the menu that begins with c, in which case you can double press), that makes it quicker than scrolling.
    03-21-11 11:12 AM
    Agreed that the "always on" experience is good. My point however is that if there is a job running on the phone, then you should be able to see it.

Facebook apears to be accessing your network without showing itself. THAT is not good.
    Well, in that case just set check new feeds to "never"
    I suppose unless you check at the exact time the Facebook app would do an update you would never see it running. I don't see it as a bad thing at all. I would say the Facebook app is closer to BBM not other third party apps.

03-21-11 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD