I don't have a data plan, just email, calls and IM.
    I downloaded the "Blackberry App World". I'm told this is similar to the iPhone's app store.
    However, when I go to use it, it says that I need to have a data plan in order to unlock the ability to use it.
    Is this true? There is no way around it?
    08-09-09 08:05 PM
    I have a wifi connection, and even when I'm connected I still can't access it.
    08-09-09 08:05 PM
    Not totally sure if you actually need a data plan to access it but

Resend your service books.

Go to Options>Advanced Options>Host Routing Table. Then hit the Blackberry Button (left button from track ball) and click Register Now. You will get a msg saying ur Blackberry Handheld has been registered or something and try again.
    08-09-09 08:09 PM
    Yeah, I tried it, still didn't work.. Any ideas?
    08-09-09 08:19 PM
    Yeah, I tried it, still didn't work.. Any ideas?
    You do need a data plan to access the app world, even if you have a device that has WiFi capabilities, because you have to use the Rogers network to download the apps, and a large portion of the apps you can download require a consistent connection to the web to work (ex. weathereye, viigo, etc.).
    The only other way to get an app without a data plan beyond the basic e-mail and IM set-up is to go through something like the CB app store, where you can purchase something and have an OTA link sent to you via SMS or e-mail, at which point you can access the OTA link via your WiFi connection and you should be able to at least download the app. A little warning though: because most apps are built on the assumption that the user has a data plan, you need to make absolute sure that none of it's features rely on data services, otherwise you'll either be unable to use the app or, worst case scenario, you'll get nailed with overage charges.

Also, for what it's worth, requesting the Host Routing table doesn't do anything regarding the data on your phone, it just registers or re-registers your handheld with the wireless network - the network used for your phone calls/ texts etc.
    Last edited by lieman; 08-09-09 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Add-On
    08-09-09 08:31 PM
    U can get email without a data plan?
    08-09-09 10:27 PM
    Rogers had an IM plan. You could get bbm, email and IM's as part of the plan but no data.
    08-09-09 10:55 PM
    U can get email without a data plan?
    Not Blackberry email.
    08-10-09 02:55 AM
    Not Blackberry email.
    Right, but so what? I've shut off data services temporarily and tested both my Yahoo and Gmail accounts over WiFi... both work instantaneously. What's the advantage of BlackBerry email?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's worth it to have a data plan, but it's not necessary.
    08-10-09 04:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD