Always good to have options for different apps. Can I test this ? I'm running a 9550 .841,6.0 hybrid
    09-03-10 04:05 PM
    I agree that the name does need to be changed. Competition is good, but a straight up ripoff isn't. I have fancy Characters and like it, like I said I'm willing to test this out, but if it's the exact same as fancy characters the only feedback I'll give is that it needs to be changed.
    I beta tested fake call for both Ani and Toysoft, and I can't deny that Ani's is better (which actually surprised me, cuz toysoft makes amazing apps). So hopefully Ani's fancy characters (which should be called something like Symbol Paster) is pretty good.
    09-03-10 11:38 PM
    Hi All,
    This is just a beta. The name will be changed on release. Its a small developer community for BlackBerry so I understand that point fairly well I know many of the developers personally, have even worked with a few.

Those who know me will recall that I have not yet released Fake Call only because I have not come up with a better name yet! Even though the beta was already over a few weeks back. That is lost days (and weeks) of sales, but I am ready to take it just because toysoft developer mailed me once that "please change the name of your app." and i want to honor his mail.

Even with this app, you will find some nice little improvements that will increase the usability and user experience a lot over the original app. Fancy Char is used here just so that people can readily know what the app does, that there are options for them, and that they can compare and see that a new app does what fancy characters does and maybe more.. Name is not an issue. Unlike fake call, in this case, we have a very good name for this app and that will be used on release (maybe before).

Ani.
    09-04-10 02:07 AM
    Your post is very well stated. I believe your statment, mine, and everyone else's here can/should be totally understood looking at things from their own perspectives. We are all adults, and make our personal choices accordingly.
    Those who know me will recall that I have not yet released Fake Call only because I have not come up with a better name yet! Even though the beta was already over a few weeks back. That is lost days (and weeks) of sales...
    Ani.
    With that said, I was just hoping I could get some clarification on the FakeCall application above. I think we all understood you would eventually change the name. My question is how was this considered being out of beta a few weeks back, when there were several additional issues and recomendations that you stated you were looking into just a few days ago? I was just wondering where this app stood, as there has been nothing added since that last post shown below....
    I'm looking into the bugs mentioned but does anyone else think this option is unnecessary? I'll remove it if it's not needed.
    In any event, I wish you the best of luck with this particular endeavor. I would love to be able to continue to test any of your original projects in the future. I am also hoping FakeCall and AutoLock turn into what we have all envisioned, and I still want to be part of that, just not this one.

ATB.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 09-04-10 at 02:38 AM.
    09-04-10 02:36 AM
    Fancy Char is used here just so that people can readily know what the app does, that there are options for them, and that they can compare and see that a new app does what fancy characters does and maybe more.. Name is not an issue. Unlike fake call, in this case, we have a very good name for this app and that will be used on release
    I can't believe you actually wrote this. You admit you deliberately stole the name of another app so users of Fancy Characters would look at yours as an alternative?

For someone who sells intellectual property (although using the word "intellectual" in relation to you is a stretch), you have a pretty cavalier attitude towards copyright law.

If someone like the 4chan crew decides to crack your software and post it someplace for free downloads, I certainly won't shed any tears for your lost profits. Karma can be a bee-otch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-10 02:43 AM
    I can't believe you actually wrote this. You admit you deliberately stole the name of another app so users of Fancy Characters would look at yours as an alternative?

For someone who sells intellectual property (although using the word "intellectual" in relation to you is a stretch), you have a pretty cavalier attitude towards copyright law.

If someone like the 4chan crew decides to crack your software and post it someplace for free downloads, I certainly won't shed any tears for your lost profits. Karma can be a bee-otch.

May I suggest you read my post again. All I said is this - I used the words "fancy chars application" in the post because that is the best way to tell people what the app is about. People can readily know what it is just by reading the name, and can know that they have choices and can compare the apps.

If I develop an app Send Screenshot then should that prevent everyone else from saying that 'we are developing a Send Screenshot app' !!

The whole point of doing beta is to know what the community wants and needs over existing apps and how it can be improved. And then to deliver that.
    09-04-10 03:35 AM
    i'd like to beta test.

bold 9650 os 5.0 thankx
    09-04-10 06:17 AM
    May I suggest you read my post again. All I said is this - I used the words "fancy chars application" in the post because that is the best way to tell people what the app is about. People can readily know what it is just by reading the name, and can know that they have choices and can compare the apps.
    Nice excuse, but most application downloads require a brief explanation of what an app does and most download sites organize their apps according to function. No BB user will download something unless they know more about it. Hardly anyone downloads apps based on just reading the title.

You're obviously just trying to piggyback off of another developer's popularity by copying the name and hoping to steal some customers. Pretty low.

The whole point of doing beta is to know what the community wants and needs over existing apps and how it can be improved. And then to deliver that.
    Then deliver it and stop copying others' product names after they have already established a good user base. I kept my mouth shut during the release of your "beta Fake Call" where the developer of Fake Call personally asked you to change your product's name and you IGNORED his/her request, but this is now pushing it.

Do the right thing.
    09-04-10 01:28 PM
    8520 with 5.0.0.822
    09-04-10 02:27 PM
    Ok, be rational.

1. Is the name Fancy Characters copyrighted? trademarked? Anything? - No.
    2. Is my app named Fancy Characters? - No.
    3. Do you have a copy of my app? - No.
    4. Are you able to download my fancy chars on any site? Is it available anywhere? - No.

Then what are we talking about?

I fail to understand what is wrong in saying that I am ready to beta a Fancy Char application? How else do you say that I am ready with a Snakes game? Or that I am ready to beta a Spam Filter app or a Call Blocker app!!

I don't see why 'some' people seem to be so put off! Just the fact that another developer is improving upon an existing app? Or the fact that he has announced that he is improving upon an existing app?

If you like the original app, good for you. And good for the developer. But you cant take away everyone else's freedom of developing and improving upon existing apps. And you certainly don't want to say that people should have no choices?

If you think that there should be only one Fancy Character app and no one else should develop a fancy char app, please rethink your line of thinking. Even after this post is one year old there will be developers all over the globe developing Call Blocker apps and new Fancy Chars apps. And new Threaded SMS apps.

Everyone else are welcome to join for beta.

Best,
    Ani.
    09-04-10 03:11 PM
    If there more room to test count me in
    OS 5.0.0.734

09-04-10 04:39 PM
    If you still need testers, I'd be happy to.

thanks
    09-04-10 07:37 PM
    T-Mo Curve 8900 w/ OS 5.0.0.822

09-04-10 07:44 PM
    So when do we get to test?
    09-04-10 07:50 PM
    9650 running hybrid based on 810

count me in, tq
    09-04-10 08:18 PM
    Sounds like people are afraid of a little competition. Go ahead with the project. Make it better. I have an idea to implement in it. Make it so we can add/delete our own smilies.
    09-05-10 08:06 AM
    Sounds like people are afraid of a little competition. Go ahead with the project. Make it better. I have an idea to implement in it. Make it so we can add/delete our own smilies.
    Well said. And the idea to add your own smiles is great, I never even thought about that.

09-05-10 08:23 AM
    Once Fancy Character become best seller in few days the Picticons app appeared. It was similar but had its own name, style and implementation. It is doing the same job but has some additional features, lack others and is totally different. It uses fancy characters keywords in description to be found by search but no more. Respect to creators. I was glad to get some competition at that point.
    Here's the different thing. I do not want to get into deep debates. I believe everyone understands what's happening with Ani's apps. Look & Feel is the same, icons have the same order and images ... sadly now much own ideas.
    But this can definitely live and give a good profit. And I hope more improvements to come over existing version.
    But I'd ask to change name right now as well as find other title for post. This is shame to start beta like that. If you have better name - use it. Crate your own app personality.

For all my users I wish to watch FC app. I have many ideas and improvements. Some were mentioned already, other not yet
    I have only 2 hands and several new apps to come so be patient.

-Sergey
    09-05-10 06:32 PM
    But this can definitely live and give a good profit. And I hope more improvements to come over existing version.
    But I'd ask to change name right now as well as find other title for post. ...

-Sergey
    Done. The title and post reads Smiley Pack now. Beta users anyway know that already!

Yes, there are improvements over the original version, mostly in the way the user interacts with the app and usability.

Future versions is too early to say, I just started the beta of the first version and future course of the app depends on feedback from the users.

Thanks,
    Ani.
    Last edited by ani; 09-06-10 at 02:19 AM. Reason: notify
    09-06-10 02:18 AM
    I'll test this app. Sprint Tour 9630
    Running 5.0.732 plus hybrid (Driphter)
    09-06-10 02:34 AM

If you like the original app, good for you. And good for the developer. But you cant take away everyone else's freedom of developing and improving upon existing apps. And you certainly don't want to say that people should have no choices?

If you think that there should be only one Fancy Character app and no one else should develop a fancy char app, please rethink your line of thinking. Even after this post is one year old there will be developers all over the globe developing Call Blocker apps and new Fancy Chars apps. And new Threaded SMS apps.
    Nice one, Ani.
    Anyway I love how easy it is to choose the icons with just a button! Good luck!

09-06-10 04:07 AM
    if theres still room

8330 5.0.0.438
    09-06-10 05:57 AM
    I've downloaded this app and its really nice and I've finally have a app where I can put smileys wherever I want.I haven't found or had any issues.

09-06-10 06:06 AM
    Done. The title and post reads Smiley Pack now. Beta users anyway know that already!

Yes, there are improvements over the original version, mostly in the way the user interacts with the app and usability.

Future versions is too early to say, I just started the beta of the first version and future course of the app depends on feedback from the users.

Thanks,
    Ani.
    I'll be trying it out today. I think the name is better than Fancy Charectors.
    09-06-10 09:07 AM
    When I try to use with SMS, I get "wrong sms Encoding" error. Is this app for use with BBM only?
    09-06-10 10:56 AM
145 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD