Dear All,

While the Beta of Emaill Screenshot is over, we are ready with a new Advanced Tip Calculator application.

Want to know the fastest, easiest, and most foolproof method of calculating tips? Advanced Tip Calculator provides a fast and convenient way to calculate the tip for a bill. An intuitive UI allows you to quickly adjust the tip percentage while seeing the tip and total amounts update in real-time. Additionally, you are able to round the total bill amount up or down with just a click of a button.

We want to test run this app for different device types and OSes. In case you are interested in trying a pre-release app, please post below your device model and full OS version so that we can get the ball rolling. I think we will start with a small group (maybe the first 15 to reply) for private beta.

Screen shots attached for an idea.

Best Regards,
    Ani.
    10-13-10 12:41 AM
    Blackberry 9300 Curve
    v5.0.0.846

my pin is 23021692
    10-13-10 01:14 AM
    I have used a variety of free tip calculators for business meals. I think I would like this for the option of pre-determined values as well as percentages (which is common).

T-Mobile USA 9700 running OS 5.0.0.979.
    10-13-10 05:42 AM
    Sound usefull
    I have the Bold 9650 with OS 6.0.280
    10-13-10 06:27 AM
    I'll give it a go,

Verizon Bold 9650 OS 6.0.0.280
    10-13-10 07:15 AM
    sign me up!
    Telus Torch 9800 OS 6.0.0.246
    10-13-10 03:25 PM
    OK. Here we go for this one. lol. The app is working well.
    Obviously we all like the dynamic updating as values are inputted.
    I like the detailed email breakdown to send to yourself to reconcile later.
    I also like the ability to change themes.

My suggestions:
    1) The font sizing needs to be adjusted for the cells. The numerical values do not consistently show when the value is past the tens position as they do in your screen shot. They only fully show when the cell is highlighted. For example..
    For the ones & tens position the whole value shows ($1.00 or $10.00)
    For the hundreds position or thousands positions all does not show. If I input $100.00 or $1000.00 it is cut off like this.. ($00.00 and $00.00)
    The numeric values do show when the cell is highlighted though, just not when the cursor is moved away.
    ***I think this ca be fixed by making the center title bars a bit shorter, but you are the expert.***

2) The same can be said for total, per person total, and per person food & drink total, except there is no way to highlight those areas to see the full numeric values. These numbers are cut off at the end of the value rather than the beginning of the value.

3) The tax & tip cell values disapear when the cell is highlighted. Not sure why, or if this is intentional, but IMO, I would like to see the value remain when highlighted.

4) The arrow which shows what cell position you are in only shows on the right hand side, and not the left. It would be good if it showed on both sides of the title bars where the cursor actually is.

5) If the numerical values are set and the totals are already tallied, if you change themes, all information is erased, and you must start again. I think the data should carry over to the next theme chosen. Also, I believe the tax & tip values should be persistent, and remain until the user makes a change. Even after the app is closed & re-opened again. These values would not probably be changed too often unless traveling (or dining at a terrible place), and should be persistent at startup of the app. It can always be edited if neccessary when a situation may arise.

5) Although I like the ability to change themes, but TBH, I would like to see a 3rd theme, all black & grey dark theme with white or red lettering. This is more in touch with the newer applications out now, and would match device themes a bit better. eg. Blaq, BerryWeather, UberTwitter, BerryBuzz, BerryReader etc.

6) I have not seen a way to round up/round down the values. Can you explain to me how, please?

I was thinking of a way to pre-populate the names of co-workers in the email for reconciliation, but after thinking about it, the email itself can be edited to place names in. I see no reason to bulk up the app with that function.

I will try to add some screenshots from my device.
    EDIT: Email Screenshot is the best screenie application out there. It made adding these a breeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
    Brad
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 10-14-10 at 06:53 AM.
    10-14-10 06:07 AM
    good app so far!
    1 suggestion? for the tax amount would it be possible to have 2 options for it? a dollar amount and a percentage amount? as with the tip because right now you have the tax as a dollar amount and the tip as a percentage

other than that so far so good! i'll let you know of anything else that pops up
    10-14-10 02:44 PM
    good app so far!
    1 suggestion? for the tax amount would it be possible to have 2 options for it? a dollar amount and a percentage amount? as with the tip because right now you have the tax as a dollar amount and the tip as a percentage

other than that so far so good! i'll let you know of anything else that pops up
    The app already does this. If you go into options, there are the button selectors for Show Tip/Show Tax. Just select if you want it to show "in percent" or "in value", and then click save. Exit the app, and when you open it again it will show the value of your preference. The situation is that you have to close and re-open the the app for the changes to take effect. Maybe Ani could do something about this as well so the app does have to be closed first to see the changes, because if the app is closed, all the cells are cleared out and you have to start over again. It should immediately & dynamically change as the user changes the setting.

HTH
    Brad.
    10-14-10 06:59 PM
    oops stupid me didn't see options.. hahaa

i like the email feature that allows you to email the calculations good stuff!

The app already does this. If you go into options, there are the button selectors for Show Tip/Show Tax. Just select if you want it to show "in percent" or "in value", and then click save. Exit the app, and when you open it again it will show the value of your preference. The situation is that you have to close and re-open the the app for the changes to take effect. Maybe Ani could do something about this as well so the app does have to be closed first to see the changes, because if the app is closed, all the cells are cleared out and you have to start over again. It should immediately & dynamically change as the user changes the setting.

HTH
    Brad.
    10-14-10 08:49 PM
    Trial period over.
    10-18-10 08:22 PM
    Registration went fine. Thanks.
    10-19-10 01:57 AM
    Dear Beta team members,
    Version 1.5 of Advanced Tip Calculator has been uploaded. The UI of the app has been modified.
    Please install this version from the regular beta location and let me know your feedback.

Regards,
    Ani
    10-22-10 06:48 AM
    You did it again Ani!
    This is hot! It's as if you just went down the line and added everything you possibly could from the suggestions. I can't complain at all. From the tax values not disapearing, the retention of the tax value after closing, the enlargement of the value cells, and even the positioning arrows working on both sides.
    Amazingly receptive.
    Thanks for listening
    Brad
    10-23-10 05:54 AM
    Dear All,
    The beta is over. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions, it was pleasure working with you all. Will post soon with purchase links.

Thanks,
    Ani
    10-23-10 06:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD