I need to use something other than BBM now that my family members have defected from BB. I tried using Google Talk and it ate my battery. I have researched this and found IM+ Pro which looks like what I need (I can close the IM client and have the incoming IMs pushed to email, then I can open up the IM client only when I need to, thus saving battery life). However, IM+ Pro is $40.00 and don't want to spend that kind of money. Does anyone know of any other IM app that will push the IMs to my email inbox when the IM client is closed, under $40.00?
    09-06-10 08:27 AM
    Whatsapp (costs a bit)
    Pingchat (not all BB push notification through)
    Cncted (lousy UI and battery hog)
    Kik (americans only)

IM + is good as it uses Skype chat as well as Facebook, Gtalk etc etc
    IM talk is good for Skype talking and skype chat only
    Nuibuzz is free and uses facebook, gtalk etc (not skype)
    TRillian is good too but is in beta phase
    beejive has the best UI but is unreliable

So all in all I would like to use pingchat as when the notification issue gets sorted - They promise it will - then this will be the best - but I suspect they will start to charge soon (IMO - already they ask iphone users to pay to remove an ad). Whatsapp is reliable and useful and iphone users only have to pay $1.00 but we have to pay more and pay it annually (�3.00)
    09-06-10 10:55 AM
    Do all the above push the IMs to email when the IM client is closed?
    09-06-10 06:32 PM
    No
    Ping whatsapp and IM+ do tho and that makes these better - not sure about cncted and kik (I am in the uk) -
    Im+ is good but its range of services makes it clumsy,youi could try it or try I'm lite, ping is the simplest but notifiations let it down - I would suggest you try it first. Whatsapp is the back up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-10 12:58 AM
    Trillian is now out of beta.
    09-07-10 09:02 AM
    Trillian is now out of beta.
    It is currently $4.99 in AppWorld and claims IM push.

IM+ Pro does offer IM push and it does seem to work. It didn't appear 100% reliable as some IMs seemed significantly delayed though I haven't tested it extensively.
    09-07-10 09:53 AM
    i use trillian and am pretty happy with it except i havent been able to get the push to work. i will let you know if i figure it out
    09-07-10 04:08 PM
    The "push" that CeruleanStudios is talking about is e-mail push when the app is closed. (or when you go out of service) RIM will not let third parties use their PUSH API for anything that replicates their first party apps. i.e. Instant Messengar or Social Networking apps.

That being said, Trillian is my vote for the best IM app. It has a great look to it, is relatively cheap (at $4.99) and the ability to manage contacts via the desktop apps and mobile apps (Windows, Mac, iPhone, Android and BlackBerry) And also the fact that they are bringing serverside chat log syncing in the near future just throws it over the top for me.
    09-07-10 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD