Have had my Storm2 for a week now and love it to bits. Only problem was I was getting that annoying "cannot connect because Data Service unavailable, please contact your service provider" message. Researched lots of forums via Google and could not find a way of curing the problem myself. Someone suggested deleting the App and reloading etc. etc. none of which worked.

I took it to the shop today and they rang through to the Technical Dept (T-Mobile in my case). The problem was the handset had been sent out without a crucial software update being done. They did the update, zapped it to my phone and hey presto! Facebook App (and Twitter App) work beautifully. I thought this might be useful for anyone else with the problem as I could not find a cure searching forums. You could also try updating the software through the BlackBerry Desktop program.
    06-09-10 11:00 AM
    What crucial software update are you referring to?
    06-09-10 11:13 AM
    Sounds like since you are on GSM your issue was related to service books or something like that. No "crucial" updates are out for this phone
    06-09-10 11:16 AM
    he was probably running an older OS, and they just updated it.
    06-09-10 11:17 AM
    How was it that T-Mobile provided support for a device they don't carry (in this case your unlocked S2)?
    06-09-10 03:13 PM
    I'll never understand the rationale behind deliberating choosing to get involved in a "bag of hurt" by using an unlocked phone. The forum has posts every day, involving unlocked phone issues. What's the payoff for going "unlocked", other than the obvious, "I wanted THAT phone on carrier "x""? To me, that's not a good enough answer when you factor in all the issues.
    06-09-10 03:18 PM
    I do not have an unlocked phone! When did I say I did? I purchased my phone through T-Mobile in the UK, it is a T-Mobile Storm2 on a T-Mobile contract. I am not a BlackBerry or phone geek so I don't know all the technical terms you use. Just thought my feedback might be useful! The poster who mentions Service Books, yes that was mentioned. Sorry if I said something was crucial when it wasn't. Slap me down, I won't do it again.
    06-09-10 06:02 PM
    The cure is to get rid of Facebook.
    06-10-10 01:28 AM
    I do not have an unlocked phone! When did I say I did? I purchased my phone through T-Mobile in the UK, it is a T-Mobile Storm2 on a T-Mobile contract. I am not a BlackBerry or phone geek so I don't know all the technical terms you use. Just thought my feedback might be useful! The poster who mentions Service Books, yes that was mentioned. Sorry if I said something was crucial when it wasn't. Slap me down, I won't do it again.
    I think a lot of folks here in The States don't realize that the Storm 2 is available through T-Mobile in the UK, or that there is even a T-Mobile in the UK! (let's face it, there aren't a lot of providers that have operations in multiple countries). I was trying to help someone out here in a different thread and didn't realize the exact same thing. It would probably help if folks differentiated between T-Moblie (US) and T-Mobile (UK), or at least added their location to their profile so other folks don't make the same mistake.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 06-10-10 at 01:39 PM.
    06-10-10 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD