Hi guys,

First of all I would like to thank you for all great reading regarding bbs during the years.

Got my Torch with DHL this afternoon. Charge, Restore and so on. Solid construction but to heavy. Switched back to my 9700 after 5 hours. I have to sell.

But ofcourse, it didnt stop there. When I did backup on the 9800 it claimed that there was not a complete data. Checked the details and it seemed like only 100 out of 410 mms was backed up. Well, not the most important thing in the world so I didnt really care.

Rebooted the 9800 and when it started up and got to maybe 75% when the display went all white. And in the middle, "App Error 603" and under that it says "Reset". It lookes like Im supposed to press OK to get it to reset. But if I do that. It startes over again. And the same thing again. Same message on white display.....and if I just let it be....it will restart by itself in maybe 20 minutes time.

Well, what to do?

I cant sell it like this.

Thanks

Johan
    10-08-10 01:39 PM
    Wipe it and reload the OS.
    10-08-10 01:45 PM
    Wipe it and reload the OS.
    I know how to wipe a bb. But the thing is, I cant get in to the phone or do anything. If I press the trackpad for "yes" for reset when the error-message appears. It will reboot in one second.

Is there a wipe-button under the battery somewhere?

I searched the supportforums on blackberry.com. Couldnt find this problem described. Or maybe Im an ***** who cant find it.

I tried to connect to Device Manager. Cant connect.

I did reboot when connected to device manager. NOTHING...ooohhh its so frustrating....thinking about throwing it from the nearest bridge.
    Last edited by penny-packer; 10-09-10 at 07:57 AM.
    10-09-10 07:47 AM
    You won't be able to wipe the device from the bb itself, and that would only be a security wipe. The wipe I'm referring to is a complete wipe of the OS.

You can download a program called BBSAK here http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/new...e-beta-240210/

You will find instructions on how to use it in the thread. It's quite simple.

Then, follow the instructions found here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...system-208714/

This will show you how to reinstall the OS after you have wiped.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-10 07:56 AM
    There's a reset button near the microSD card IIRC. Don't know whether that will work for you or not here.

What you're describing sounds like your restore dropped an incompatible app onto the Torch that is causing your issues. Once you get the Torch reset, check this forum, there was a thread about what to restore and what not to restore from the 9700 to avoid compatibility issues.

Having said that, I feel compelled to go off-topic a bit. You used the Torch for less than an afternoon and determined it's too heavy? A fair device evaluation takes a week at minimum to adjust to changes to the model - keyboard, weight, interface. Seems like you were seeking a reason to not like the Torch.
    10-09-10 08:00 AM
    You won't be able to wipe the device from the bb itself, and that would only be a security wipe. The wipe I'm referring to is a complete wipe of the OS.

You can download a program called BBSAK here http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/new...e-beta-240210/

You will find instructions on how to use it in the thread. It's quite simple.

Then, follow the instructions found here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...system-208714/

This will show you how to reinstall the OS after you have wiped.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    A big thank you to You.
    10-09-10 08:30 AM
    There's a reset button near the microSD card IIRC. Don't know whether that will work for you or not here.

What you're describing sounds like your restore dropped an incompatible app onto the Torch that is causing your issues. Once you get the Torch reset, check this forum, there was a thread about what to restore and what not to restore from the 9700 to avoid compatibility issues.

Having said that, I feel compelled to go off-topic a bit. You used the Torch for less than an afternoon and determined it's too heavy? A fair device evaluation takes a week at minimum to adjust to changes to the model - keyboard, weight, interface. Seems like you were seeking a reason to not like the Torch.
    Ok, great. I will read the compatibility issues. Good to know. Another day, but not today...I will have to learn more about OS 6.

Re OT,

You are right. A fair evaluation takes more than 5 hours. I like the OS, not as smooth as Iphone but I see the ideas. Keyboard is really good. One step up from 9700. Camera is great. Trackpad is also one step up from 9700. Also the buttons for volume etc. This is a truly well produced phone.

But,

I can also see a couple of things that slows me down in my work. Ive always loved BB for its simplicity. What I see now in OS 6 is danger. Its software is getting more heavy to swing around. And a touchscreen aint doing it more easy for the processor to work. An example, pressing the BB-button usually takes you right in to the extended meny. But, in this case you have to choose yet another alternative to get into the meny. Maybe this is possible to adjust in some way. But yet, it is just an example. An example that in this evolution RIM is falling into the same holes as HTC etc. Getting more beautiful costs efficancy. I am not interrested in working slower with my phone. Are you? Im sure that if I poked around long enough I would find 10 more examples like this. Having the combination of touchscreen and keyboard is great. But it is not always making things easier.

Its not good, but I confess. I work to much. I wear out a keyboard in 3-4 months. If were talking about the standard mushy bold 9700 keyboard. I am not ditching the torch because of software issues. Im ditching it because its to heavy and not well balanced. The OS 6 in next gen Bold will be my phone to love. Maybe im just a hardcore user. If I could decide, I would have one slimmed down version. So that the processor really showed that it had been to the gym lately.

One thing that worries me alot with the Torch. Is the use of one piece of plastic for the 4 buttons. red, green phone, back and bb button. Im not joking, I would destroy that construction in less than 6 weeks. Feels alot like ****ty HTC Pro diamond.

Probably, they had to use it to get it slim enough constructionwise.

Finally, I think I gave the Torch a fair evaluation period out of my perspective.

I hope I dont get everybody angry in here now. But we do use our BBs in different ways.

No show, all go.

J
    10-09-10 09:06 AM
    Where did you get your phone? It might be on OS version .141 which desperately needs upgrading to the latest official: .246. Much smoother/faster everything.
    10-09-10 09:32 AM
    its .246

thanks
    10-13-10 10:23 AM
    I had the same error, would appear to be DM thats the problem! If I dont get the error again over the next few days I will reinstall DM and try again.
    10-31-10 07:59 AM
    I had the same error, would appear to be DM thats the problem! If I dont get the error again over the next few days I will reinstall DM and try again.
    had the same error, what apps are you guys running?
    the rogers tech told me that App Error 603 is usually related to a SD Card error

i formatted the SD card today and reloaded it by snycing it so we'll see what happens
    11-08-10 08:20 PM
    has anynone found a Real solution yet?
    i'm selling mobile phones in jakarta and it has been 3 days with 7 torches having the same problem. All of them are AT&T phones. the non-logo bbs are fine.

i tried everything.
    - wiping w/ bbsak/jl cmd & restoring
    - upgrading to 337
    - removed media card
    - setting up as a new device (no-restoring from old devices)

all turned out to be futile attempts.
    i will try to remove at&t theme cods starting tomorrow & will report back if i find anything.
    01-14-11 03:45 PM
    I was getting App error 603 everytime I needed to restart my phone. I have found that it was the Gmail Plugin that was causing my problems.

Without the gmail plugin my phone is working just fine and restarts without app error 603. I have forwarded my gmail emails to another account to get round it.

RIM, if you are listening/reading can you look in to it? I cant believe I am the only one affected!
    02-15-11 11:53 AM
    I had a similar App Error and disabling Google Maps app fixed the issue. It appears Google sponsored apps may have some compatibility problems.
    04-06-11 09:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD