i just got my storm coming from a 8320 and when i would use point on the curve it always said "searching from cell tower" or something along those lines and now when i use poynt on my storm it always says gps not supported or to enable gps. my question is can i set it to use cell tower location i have the gps off to save on my battery
    07-27-09 02:04 PM
    I'm pretty sure having GPS on doesn't really affect the battery (unless you are actively using it, of course)
    07-27-09 02:17 PM
    Oh come on. Really? GPS is one of the cooler features on the phone! I totally recommend using it! Its a heck of a lot more accurate too definitely worth what little battery it uses.

As to your question, I'm not quite sure how. Ill do a search for you to find out

No luck on search. Sorry man, good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by SenorStorm; 07-27-09 at 02:42 PM.
    07-27-09 02:35 PM
    Leaving GPS off does not save much battery life. Don't rely on cell location. You do NOT save enough battery life to warrant leaving the GPS off.
    07-27-09 03:11 PM
    im not sure if you can use cell tower, mine gives me the choice of gps location or entering your own city
    07-27-09 03:25 PM
    You can't use Poynt with out the GPS enabled. You can sortof turn off GPS by going to Options-Advanced Settings ->GPS and changing the settings to E911 only, however Poynt won't work with that setting. Like most have said, as long as you remember to shut down any app that uses GPS when not in use you won't notice much extra battery drain unless you use those apps extensively.
    07-27-09 05:31 PM
    Poynt does actually work based on cell tower location on my Storm. It does pop-up an annoying box to enable GPS every time the focus returns to Poynt

Red

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 05:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD