hi guys,

just downloaded poynt after reading some recommendations... anyhow, maybe a dumb question, but does poynt constantly triangulate your position using the GPS... even when you're not searching for anything or anybody, just a bit worried about data usage...

any input would be appreciated,

thanks,

titan
    07-15-09 03:09 PM
    hi guys,

just downloaded poynt after reading some recommendations... anyhow, maybe a dumb question, but does poynt constantly triangulate your position using the GPS... even when you're not searching for anything or anybody, just a bit worried about data usage...

any input would be appreciated,

thanks,

titan
    It does when you are using it, or the program is running (even if in the background). But you can turn off the GPS and make it where Poynt will not try to access the GPS signal.
    07-15-09 03:31 PM
    I think I accidently shut off the GPS for location. Anyonr know how to enable it? I've tried to uninstall/reinstall to no avail. When I choose the option to turn the GPS back on I still have no luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 03:47 PM
    I think I accidently shut off the GPS for location. Anyonr know how to enable it? I've tried to uninstall/reinstall to no avail. When I choose the option to turn the GPS back on I still have no luck!

Options > advanced settings > GPS > Device GPS :ON: > menu button > save.
    07-15-09 04:38 PM
    The GPS is actually turned on on my device...it works with everythibg else, just not ponyt.

Last edited by shava9865; 07-16-09 at 08:38 AM.
    07-16-09 08:34 AM
    i had the same problem i deleted the program and reinstalled... twice before gps worked again
    07-16-09 11:11 AM

does poynt constantly triangulate your position using the GPS... even when you're not searching for anything or anybody
    Poynt intentionally stops using the GPS after 2 1/2 mins so it doesn't drain your battery or rack up data charges.
    07-21-09 08:54 AM
    To add to tbristol's comment:

1. Cell site data averaging is performed once per foregrounding and uses a minimal amount of data.

2. The GPS chip is launched and remains on while Poynt is in the foreground, 2.5 minutes after it goes into the background, and immediately when the application is closed. The GPS chip does not use data and you will not be charged for it.
    07-22-09 07:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD