I am using the latest update to Poynt on my Storm 9530, which I love. But for the entire time I have used this app I have had one issue. When I find a location, then map directions to it, sometimes I get the default BB Maps (which I hate) and sometimes I get Google Maps (which I love). I have changed the settings in the options menu to prefer Google Maps, but it seems to happen randomly.

Any ideas?
    06-10-09 08:27 AM
    Send them a email (in poynt options screen) they will get back to you in a day
    Or two they r great with cs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-09 08:41 AM
    Can't you just uninstall BBMaps? Would that not fix the problem?

06-10-09 08:49 AM
    Can't you just uninstall BBMaps? Would that not fix the problem?

While I wish that were the case, uninstalling BB Maps would be bad news. BB Maps is the default GPS find software and there is no way to change that. If you get rid of it, then any application that tracks you using GPS, including Poynt, will not work.
    06-10-09 08:54 AM
    While I wish that were the case, uninstalling BB Maps would be bad news. BB Maps is the default GPS find software and there is no way to change that. If you get rid of it, then any application that tracks you using GPS, including Poynt, will not work.
    I thought the newest poynt could use either one? But if you have other apps that need bbmaps then that is a problem.

06-10-09 08:56 AM
    I sent an email to Poynt customer support. And, as far as I can tell there is no option to delete/uninstall BB maps.

Thanks for the quick responses....still open to ideas
    06-10-09 09:23 AM
    Hi bduburgess!

Thanks for your continued interest in Poynt.

Poynt currently has two types of "mapping" features: Navigation, and POI mapping.

The navigation feature within Poynt can be found when you click on a result and select "Map Route". Please note that this is only available on older devices like the curve, and on newer devices like the bold that have the BB Maps bug fix by RIM in the latest device software releases.

With "Map Route", you have a couple of options. If you have either of Gokivo Navigator, AAA Mobile, VZNavigator, TELUS Navigator, Your Nav or Metro Navigator installed, you will be given the choice between BB Maps or one of the 3rd party navigation tools listed above. If you have BB maps installed but not any of the other apps, the map route feature will take you directly to BB Maps. Map Route to Google Maps is not supported at this time, but you can still use "Map Listing" with Google Maps and then use Google Maps' "Get Directions" feature.

With "Map Listing" or "Map All" you can map POIs to either Google Maps or BB Maps.
    06-10-09 11:42 PM
    Thanks pwerry! Thats a big help!

Also, this is what Poynt Customer Support emailed me last night, similar response: "With your currently set preferences, Poynt's selection of BlackBerry Maps or Google Maps Mobile is based on whether you select Map Route, or either Map Listing or Map All.

The Map Route feature provides driving directions from your current location to a selected business or theater location. Unfortunately, this feature is only integrated with BlackBerry Maps at this time.

Map Listing and Map All simply show your selected location on a map; these options are affected by your selected mapping preference. Please note that when using Google Maps Mobile, driving directions are still available by clicking the map icon for your desired destination and selecting the Get Directions feature there."

Looks like problems solved. Another win for the Crackberry Forums and Great 3rd Party App CS!!
    06-11-09 07:48 AM
    BB Maps in no way impacts the GPS chipset. If you remove it, 3rd party apps that utilize GPS should function normally unless they are doing something funky.
    06-11-09 11:20 PM
    Not true. I have deleted BB Maps and I use Google Maps. I also have Poynt and my GPS works very well.
    06-11-09 11:42 PM
    I sent an email to Poynt customer support. And, as far as I can tell there is no option to delete/uninstall BB maps.

Thanks for the quick responses....still open to ideas
    You delete BB maps from the Desltop manager. Click on Application loader and it should show you all apps loaded on your BB. If you want to remove BB Maps, you remove the checkmark and click next. It will delete the app from your BB. If you want it back in the future, just reconnect to desktop mananger, application loader and replace the checkmark next to BB Maps. I did it. It works.
    06-11-09 11:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD