I really like the ap Poynt overall, but I have to say the gas price accuracy leaves a bit to be desired.

There is a station coming up with the cheapest gas in town at around $2.69 a gallon. (The actual prices in the area are closer to around $3.00) The price update info says it is a current price. But, the particular station closed over a year ago. Over the weekend the price at this defunct yet listed station had gone up to $2.75. Now it is back to $2.69. I would like to say it is just a oddity, but other stations listed in their database are not reflecting actual prices either.

I asked Poynt people and they blamed the accuracy issue for that station on their outsource data people. I have to wonder though how this works. I can see how old data might make it in every once in a while. But how can old data come up with a current date stamp making it appear the old info is actually new?

I get the impression the time stamp on price info has not always been included. Was it more accurate before? Or was it ever accurate?
    07-26-10 02:40 PM
    ya. as much as i love poynt, their gas price part never seemed to be accurate for me either. i prefer to use gasbuddy. there are a few ways you can use it. i just txt "gassbuddy zipcodehere" to 368266, and it responds with cheapest gas prices & when it was last updated. always worked for me. you can also go to Mobile Instructions - GasBuddy.com

it gives you a few ways to obtain their latest updated pricing info for your area: web, via txt, or even via email.

anyway, just another option for you...
    07-26-10 03:44 PM
    For me, the Poynt local gas station prices are right on. However, one station only lists their premium price, so it appears too high. If I search on Regular, that station won't show up at all.

There is definitely some bad data in their database though. My Poynt Pet Peeve is a restaurant that has the correct address and 7-digit phone number, but the pre-1998 area code, and it says it's about 6 miles closer than it actually is.

So I figure there is always a chance that the Poynt data is wrong.
    07-26-10 04:15 PM
    Thanks. That works for me.
    07-26-10 04:35 PM
    They were fine for me at first. Then it started listing this station from way back as if it is still there only in the past price ranges. And the cheapest station in town that I know if does not even come up on it anymore.

For me, the Poynt local gas station prices are right on. However, one station only lists their premium price, so it appears too high. If I search on Regular, that station won't show up at all.

There is definitely some bad data in their database though. My Poynt Pet Peeve is a restaurant that has the correct address and 7-digit phone number, but the pre-1998 area code, and it says it's about 6 miles closer than it actually is.

So I figure there is always a chance that the Poynt data is wrong.
    07-26-10 04:37 PM
    Yeah, that's in the category of "that ain't right". My point (no pun intended!) is that there is some of that in there. But a lot of the data is spot on.

Are you searching by "Gas Stations Near Me" or "Best Prices", and then picking a grade? If you search by Best Prices and then pick a grade that a station didn't list in the database, then you won't see the station in the results at all. "Gas Stations Near Me" should list all stations in the database, with the lowest price of the grades that are included. I suppose there is a fee for the stations to be listed in the database, and if they choose not to participate, you won't see them in Poynt.
    07-26-10 05:14 PM
    Gas Buddy, Poynt etc. use a central location to aquire the info. It is sent to this central location by bamks and credit card companies that gather gas purchases and update the database. Prices change, the database is updated and they change again. It is supposed to be close but none are exact. If there is a bit of a price war going on the prices change faster than they are updated.

That is a close explination of how it works. This was on our local TV news channel a while back. The info has to available on a Google search.
    07-26-10 05:47 PM
    This particular station (Costco) was in there from the first- also the two Safeway gas stations. This week either they do not list at all (Costco) or if they list in the case of the two Safeways- the prices are wrong and totally out of sync. ANd I see that there must be a fee charged, and some data may not update correctly from time to time, but how does that explain a station that was not listed two weeks ago (and correctly not listed since they have not been there in well over a year) suddenly returning with cheap gas that has date stamps as if it was just this mornings price. And in the same two week period the Costco gas station that used to be there is not listed at all when they are still cheapest?

Yeah, that's in the category of "that ain't right". My point (no pun intended!) is that there is some of that in there. But a lot of the data is spot on.

Are you searching by "Gas Stations Near Me" or "Best Prices", and then picking a grade? If you search by Best Prices and then pick a grade that a station didn't list in the database, then you won't see the station in the results at all. "Gas Stations Near Me" should list all stations in the database, with the lowest price of the grades that are included. I suppose there is a fee for the stations to be listed in the database, and if they choose not to participate, you won't see them in Poynt.
    07-26-10 06:38 PM
    I get it that they rely on information from others. It is just that this information seems way too wrong to include info from a station that has not been here in more than an year as if it is right there sending in updated prices with the rest of them.

I do not worry too much for when I am home. I know the places with cheap gas around here. It is for those traveling that the information is not always good enough. I guess with Poynt you can always call to verify the price easily enough- Oh, well, if they are still in business at least.

Gas Buddy, Poynt etc. use a central location to aquire the info. It is sent to this central location by bamks and credit card companies that gather gas purchases and update the database. Prices change, the database is updated and they change again. It is supposed to be close but none are exact. If there is a bit of a price war going on the prices change faster than they are updated.

That is a close explination of how it works. This was on our local TV news channel a while back. The info has to available on a Google search.
    07-26-10 06:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD