It doesn't work. It doesn't connect to GPS and it can't find my location. I've reinstalled, battery pull, changed the map options, etc but nothing. I don't think it ever asked me to allow the gps either time but I don't know. I go into options and check the allow and deny things and everything is allowed.

Really pissed off. I'm on .267.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 11:52 AM
    Interestingly I've noticed that running .247 I am having the same issue: Poynt could search all day and will never find the location...

04-23-09 12:06 PM
    Damn I meant .247 lol

04-23-09 12:14 PM
    Your comment about permissions got me thinking, and this is what I did to solve: edit all poynt permissions to prompt, then save. Then change all permissions to allow and set as default, then restart poynt and see if that doesn't fix it.

04-23-09 12:29 PM
    Did that and it still doesn't work.

04-23-09 12:49 PM
    I had a similar problem, went to the GPS and did a refresh and also set the GPS to enable location aiding. Poynt has worked flawlessly ever since.
    04-23-09 02:33 PM
    Do you have BBmaps on your phone? When I used poynt, it would not locate me or anything because I did not have BBmaps on my device. So, I upgraded my OS and deleted the vendor file (which then allows BBmaps to be on your ATT phone). Once I had that on my phone Poynt worked pretty well...

Side note, I now use the Gokivo Navigator and this app is pretty sweet. It is free from the BB App store.
    04-23-09 02:38 PM
    Downloaded from app store once and works fine.
    04-23-09 03:17 PM
    Come to think of it I do have BBMaps... The app doesn't show but the module is in my phone, perhaps it is required for Poynt.

04-23-09 03:53 PM
    Poynt works great on my phone using either BBMaps or Google Maps.
    04-23-09 04:11 PM
    Works great for me on .266. No BB Maps or Google Maps on my device. Worked great for me on .247 also.
    04-23-09 04:20 PM
    Hi Folks!

We have found one the most common solutions relating to GPS is to ensure your BlackBerry GPS settings under Options->Advanced Options->GPS have GPS Data Source set to "Device GPS" and GPS Services set to "Location ON". Some OS versions have this set to "Location Off" by default.

Here are a couple frequently asked questions regarding GPS we've received from users that seem to relate to the questions on this thread:

Q:
    "I have my permissions set to allow, and my GPS settings are enabled but Poynt still can't get a GPS fix. How come?"

A:
    The device may not be able to get a satellite lock in the case that you are near tall buildings, the sky is heavily overcast, you are inside a building or the satellites in orbit are not in a position that allows the device to obtain a GPS fix. Sometimes the sky scanning process can take up to 2 minutes before a GPS fix is obtained. Try going to Options->Advanced Options->GPS then press the BlackBerry menu key and select "Refresh GPS". If you can't get a fix, then your device will be unable to get a GPS fix for all applications. If you do get a fix, load Poynt and see if your indicator turns green within 30 seconds.

If you can get a GPS fix using the "Refresh GPS" option described above (check your fix time to ensure the data isn't stale from a previous fix) and Poynt still can't get a GPS fix, email us using the feedback feature within Poynt and we'll be happy to help remedy the problem.

Q:
    "Is BlackBerry Maps required for Poynt to use GPS?"

A:
    BlackBerry maps is not required by any 3rd party app, including Poynt, to use the device's GPS functionality.

Additionally, Poynt also has a cell-site feature which is very fast and reasonably accurate (blue-dot) for quick GPS fixes.
    Last edited by pwerry; 04-24-09 at 01:24 AM.
    04-24-09 01:20 AM
    I've recently upgraded Poynt now whenever I try to map a location all I get is "Error: null". The only options & settings I have to chose from are mapping: BB map, font size, radius units {I do not have GPS}. Their haven't been any other changes to my device & Poynt's mapped out locations for me in the past.
    04-27-09 12:30 AM
    Hi Blade!

We'd like to help you get to the bottom of your problem. What location were you trying to map? Which device model are you using?
    04-29-09 02:23 AM
    My device is in my info profile and is giving the "null" with attemps to use BB maps.
    05-01-09 01:27 AM
    I'm having an issue with Poynt as well. I can't get the GPS to work. It was working perfectly fine last night, but as of today it says GPS not supported. I set all permissions to Allow, tried BB Maps which found a GPS locaton no problem, set GPS settings to Locaton On....still no luck. I pulled the battery out and tried that, which also didn't work. Any suggestions??? I'm using a Curve 8330 with Verizon.
    07-12-09 04:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD