I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on this topic.

I recently downloaded Poynt on my Tour and when i try to access the GPS search tool i get a message that tells me GPS out of service range. Is there a fix to this problem? Is GPS supported by Poynt on the Tour?

Thanks for your help
    07-27-09 07:10 PM
    Have you set your GPS to Location On (rather than E911)?
    07-27-09 07:24 PM
    I had barely used Poynt since getting the Tour last week, so i just tried it out.

Works fine and I'm indoors! (How does that work anyway?)
    And I'm NOT anywhere near the last place I used Poynt, so it's current!

Under Options > Advanced Options > GPS, I am set to Device GPS, Location On, and Enabled for the 3 choices there.

One note: When did you download Poynt? There was an update released on App World about a week ago.
    07-27-09 07:37 PM
    Still says GPS out of service range. Every other app that uses GPS works great except Poynt. I've tried other search apps like where, bt sidekick, google maps, every app works except poynt. Dont know?
    07-27-09 07:43 PM
    I downloaded it yesterday
    07-27-09 07:45 PM
    Aren't there issue/problems with Sprint Tour's GPS?

I use Verizon and Poynt works great for me.
    07-27-09 07:55 PM
    Why would someone want to need Poynt? Doesn't BB Maps show you the closest things to you too if you search?
    07-27-09 08:02 PM
    This might be a dumb question, but is Poynt similar to 'Where'?
    07-27-09 08:03 PM
    Problem with Poynt on my Verizon Tour is that it does not do reverse phone number look up.
    07-27-09 08:10 PM
    This might be a dumb question, but is Poynt similar to 'Where'?
    Yes it is. I prefer Poynt though and yes I have both.

Back on topic, I have this same problem but I also didn't download the update. Will give that a try. Oh and I have my gps on e911 as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-09 08:19 PM
    Apparently Poynt is afflicted by the same problem Google Maps faces, they can't access the Sprint Tour's GPS. WHERE can access the Sprint Tour's GPS but I prefer Google Maps and Poynt.
    07-28-09 11:13 AM
    Yes it is. I prefer Poynt though and yes I have both.

Back on topic, I have this same problem but I also didn't download the update. Will give that a try. Oh and I have my gps on e911 as well.

You'll have to change that GPS setting from e911 to Location On.
    The e911 setting means that your GPS functionality is limited to transmitting your location if you call 911(the "e" is for "emergency") and not for other GPS Apps.

07-29-09 03:29 AM
    Certain third party apps have trouble accessing GPS on Sprint Tours for some reason.
    07-29-09 03:54 AM
    Mine has a quirk. BB maps has to be running for poynt to work. Without BB maps running I get the same message as the OP, but if I start it up it works fine.
    07-29-09 05:38 AM
    Hi Folks!

Thanks for your continued interest in Poynt.

We have identified the problem with GPS on the Tour as an issue that was introduced into the device software sometime close to 4.7.1.40. As already noted, many 3rd paty apps have been affected. The issue can also be seen on the Storm running unreleased versions of the device software. We have written a workaround for the problem, and will release the fix with our next update.
    08-02-09 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD