I think that Poynt has to be the greatest tour app you could have. Can't believe it's free either. It's like the yellow pages right at your fingertips. You can look up any business, person or movies playing around you. Never have to look up these on the internet again.

Poynt is a free local search application for your BlackBerry smartphone.
    08-19-09 07:17 PM
    Yeah, I've been playing around with it. But the GPS can never connect for me. Lame.
    08-19-09 07:52 PM
    They are having a GPS issue and are working on a fix. Their email said when the update is available those of us who have it will be notified. Other than that it is a great app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 08:00 PM
    Great app it works great
    08-19-09 08:04 PM
    I'm loving Poynt. Works great for me. I can't believe it's free either. Very useful app.
    08-19-09 08:05 PM
    Which do y'all think is better - Poynt or Where?
    08-19-09 08:47 PM
    Poynt was one of the first apps I downloaded. After also reading about BTSidekick and Where, I decided to take them out for a spin too. While the other two worked fine, I found Poynt's pure simplicity to be the main selling point over the others.
    08-19-09 09:43 PM
    GPS works fine here
    08-19-09 09:45 PM
    i just downloaded this app and am liking it. The GPS works fine.

There's going to be an update soon. Here's an email i received as a reply to feedback i submitted:

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 23:02:13 -0600
    Subject: Poynt feedback - General searches
    To: xxxxxxx@gmail.com

Hi there,

Thanks for your email. We've made a note of your request for the ability to search for non-business attractions like parks, and will investigate data providers for such a feature.

However, Poynt's Business Search feature accepts category keywords in addition to business names. The nearest result for the keyword "vegetarian" from Specific, FL, is 38.9 miles away, however.

We are adding a new Restaurants feature in the upcoming version of Poynt - stay tuned, as you will receive a notification through the app as soon as the upgrade is available. This feature includes the ability to search restaurants by category, as well as to book reservations
    with participating restaurants.

Please let us know if you have any other thoughts or requests. Your feedback is appreciated.

Enjoy your day,

The Poynt Support Team

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sun 8/16/2009 8:55 AM
    To: Mobile Support
    Subject: Feedback

Model: 9630
    Device Build: 4.7.1.40
    Poynt Version: 1.3.1.29
    Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Would love a way to do general searches. Say for "parks" in Specific, FL

Or "vegetarian restaurants"

Great app!

Thanks!

Chrisy

08-19-09 10:04 PM
    vegetarian chrisy??????
    08-19-09 10:05 PM
    Even worse...vegan. :/ i'm *not a fun date. Ha.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f39/act...tion-team-111/

VZ Navigator has an option to search for vegetarian restaurants! i'm glad Poynt is adding this feature!

08-19-09 10:08 PM
    I really like this app too. I had it on my Curve too, back when the gps didn't work (with Verizon anyway), and now I like it even better with working gps. The reverse phone number look-up is pretty handy as well, it's nice to be able to immediately look up any strange numbers that call.
    08-19-09 10:13 PM
    poynt is the greatest storm app too! Jeez...
    08-19-09 10:16 PM
    One thing i like is the ability to save searched businesses to contact list! It's a small feature but one that VZ Nav does not have.

Windows Live Search has it, but that app locks up my unit.

08-19-09 10:17 PM
    What's the point of poynt? Poynt may look pretty but cell site never works on Verizon and the UI is slow. Plus Google mobile app works ten times faster for movies and business listings plus its cell site and GPS is as reliable as Google maps. Just enter 'movies' in the search to get started with Google mobile app, or enter the name of the biz and select local. So much faster than waiting for poynt's slow UI and even slower servers. Poynt is perhaps the most overrated app in appworld.
    Last edited by vdiesel; 08-19-09 at 11:51 PM.
    08-19-09 11:49 PM
    What's the point of poynt? Poynt may look pretty but cell site never works on Verizon and the UI is slow. Plus Google mobile app works ten times faster for movies and business listings plus its cell site and GPS is as reliable as Google maps. Just enter 'movies' in the search to get started with Google mobile app, or enter the name of the biz and select local. So much faster than waiting for poynt's slow UI and even slower servers. Poynt is perhaps the most overrated app in appworld.
    This has to be the most misinformed review ive ever read.

Downloaded it from app world today on my Tour....GPS lock takes ooooo...20 seconds tops? (I was in the car)

UI is very responsive and clean ...i just typed in "Food" and it gave me a boatload of restaurants in the area...

Download a new version or stop with the pointless drivel
    08-20-09 12:42 AM
    Have to disagree also. The GPS locks quickly on my VZW Tour, and the app is fast.

Maybe you have a beta or old version? Or need to re install? Or have low device memory overall and are experiencing lag?

08-20-09 06:07 AM
    There must be an issue with Sprint then. Because my poynt does not connect to the GPS.
    08-20-09 06:10 AM
    Sprint here, can't get Poynt to connect with gps either.
    08-20-09 09:09 AM
    Same, sprint user Poynt wont talk to GPS at all.

I'm using the same version that's listed on the website, but I downloaded it 7 to 10 days ago...
    08-20-09 09:15 AM
    Hi Folks!

Thanks for your continued interest in Poynt.

If you are on a Sprint Tour, you can email us at beta@mypoynt.com with the subject line "Sprint Tour GPS" to get on the private beta team. We have written a fix for the GPS issue, and you can help us confirm that it works
    08-20-09 05:01 PM
    poynt is all round a great app
    08-20-09 05:03 PM
    Poynt and Vz Navigator aren't working together for me. Here's the email i sent and reply from poynt:

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Fri 8/28/2009 6:48 AM
    To: Mobile Support
    Subject: Feedback

Model: 9630
    Device Build: 4.7.1.40
    Poynt Version: 1.3.1.29
    Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Whenever i click on
    "route location" using VZ Navigator, the Nav opens but i always get "GPS request could not be processed."

My VZ Nav GPS works fine otherwise.

Is this a known issue? Any solutions?

Thanks!

Love Poynt!

Chrisy

Hi Chrisy,

Thanks for your email. We're glad to hear you like the app!

We've been tracking the issue of the GPS timing out within VZ Navigator after being launched by Poynt. We are working to get this issue resolved, but unfortunately the problem lies within that app. Our recommendation is to contact Verizon Support for further assistance with this issue.

Pl
    ease let us know if you encounter any other difficulty; your feedback is appreciated.

Enjoy your day,

The Poynt Support Team

08-31-09 06:28 AM
    I have a better time using WHERE. With Poynt I searched for a Starbucks near me when I know there is one 5 minutes away. It gave me one in NYC instead. WHERE gave me the one closest to me.
    09-01-09 12:02 PM
    I love POYNT and use it quite frequently on the road (VZW 9630) the Movies feature is great, works much better than BING mobile.
    09-01-09 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD