So I'm not sure how it's done, so I'm asking. This question came up in my head as I discussed making a car tuning program available for my Storm. There is a program that works for the PC, but the guy told me that an app for the Storm or iPhone for that matter probably wouldn't be made anytime soon. So my question is, can computer apps be ported to the phone or how does it work? Does everything have to be done from scratch? I honestly wouldn't be able to do it myself, but if it's something that can be done, I may find a way to get it done.

The program is for the Ostrich 2.0 system, which allows a person to modify the car's settings via a laptop which is USB interfaced to the Ostrich system. Ideally, something like this that would mate up to a phone instead of a laptop would be incredibly awesome.
    07-20-09 12:00 PM
    You would have to learn how to program in Java, and write the thing from scratch.

... if anything, it would keep you busy for the next 6-12+ months.
    07-20-09 12:11 PM
    You would have to learn how to program in Java, and write the thing from scratch.

... if anything, it would keep you busy for the next 6-12+ months.
    heh Well excellent! As I am not familiar with Java or programming for that matter, is it possible to break apart the program and take that code and apply to the phone version of the program? If it's WAY more complicated than that, I'll understand if you don't elaborate. I'm just trying to see how I would get the info for the one program and incorporate it into a phone version.
    07-20-09 02:09 PM
    heh Well excellent! As I am not familiar with Java or programming for that matter, is it possible to break apart the program and take that code and apply to the phone version of the program? If it's WAY more complicated than that, I'll understand if you don't elaborate. I'm just trying to see how I would get the info for the one program and incorporate it into a phone version.
    Its much more complicated than you'd believe. In most cases, it's completely impossible - unless you're the original author of the PC application OR the program was originally written in Java.

Bottom line is, it's almost a guarantee that the application would have to be written from scratch to work.
    07-20-09 02:31 PM
    Its much more complicated than you'd believe. In most cases, it's completely impossible - unless you're the original author of the PC application OR the program was originally written in Java.

Bottom line is, it's almost a guarantee that the application would have to be written from scratch to work.
    Hehe. I actually believe it is very complicated which is why I asked the question. My experience with code is VERY limited, so I'm asking with almost no experience. . I was hoping it would be "portable" so it would be more organizing the code instead of writing from scratch. Oh well I dared to dream.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 03:10 PM
    Hehe. I actually believe it is very complicated which is why I asked the question. My experience with code is VERY limited, so I'm asking with almost no experience. . I was hoping it would be "portable" so it would be more organizing the code instead of writing from scratch. Oh well I dared to dream.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    If only it were so easy... :P
    You could try to contact the publisher of the program to let them know that interest for such an app exists, you're not the first person I've seen post a request like this here. The smartphone app market is growing fast and we're seeing lots of developers put out mobile versions of their apps, so who knows, maybe they're even working on something like it already.

But ultimately you're at the whim of the original developer. Reverse engineering a PC app, especially a non-trivial one (since we're not talking about a simple little calculator app here, this thing is interfacing with a car's computer), would be extraordinarily difficult if not impossible.
    07-20-09 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD