Good day fellow crackberry users!

I have owned the bold 9700 since a couple days after it was released. I have previously owned the 8900, and 9000. It started off with fantastic battery life but after installing a few applications the between charge times really took a dive.

I had suspicions that the facebook application was causing it. I deleted the application, did a battery pull/reboot, and since then my battery life has gone back to awesomeworld status.

And this is not a small difference, I am talking a HUGE change in battery life. With the facebook application installed my battery would be down to the one yellow bar within 24 hours. Now with f#@kbook deleted after almost 24 hours I still have 4 1/2 bars of battery showing!

Maybe I was not properly fully exiting out of the facebook application when closing? but either way that is unacceptable from an official RIM app.

I hope this helps others out that are having poor battery life issues. Please let me know if you have experienced anything similar.
    12-02-09 10:32 AM
    Well I am always on facebook so they really need to sort it out..
    12-02-09 10:35 AM
    I had that same thing happen to me with my Bold, and that was the reason I was so paranoid about not having QuickPull for the 9700. Now I just delete all notifications from Facebook and I have no problem. Actually, truth be told, I honestly don't think I would have the same problems anyway, the new OS is so much better at managing memory.
    12-02-09 10:35 AM
    FB app keeps coming back after reboot on my att 9700. Is this something I cant get rid of because of service books?
    12-02-09 10:42 AM
    Its just an application so it should just pop off. I have facebook on my 8830 and its not in my service book. You may have to connect it to your desktop manager and get rid of it from there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 10:52 AM
    Mine was resolved after I deleted UberTwitter and WeatherBug. I simply canceled my Twitter account because I felt stupid for having it. And I switched to Weather Eye which I believe is more convenient.
    12-02-09 11:05 AM
    speaking of facebook, is there soem reason i cant find an area where me inbox would be? i also cant find any way to see the "info" areas of anyones profiles
    12-02-09 11:09 AM
    FB app keeps coming back after reboot on my att 9700. Is this something I cant get rid of because of service books?
    It is probably not the full app, but just a link to download Facebook. That link is pushed by the carrier and is on all of our phones. Just hide it, along with the rest of that crap that is pushed.
    12-02-09 11:11 AM
    Good day fellow crackberry users!

I have owned the bold 9700 since a couple days after it was released. I have previously owned the 8900, and 9000. It started off with fantastic battery life but after installing a few applications the between charge times really took a dive.

I had suspicions that the facebook application was causing it. I deleted the application, did a battery pull/reboot, and since then my battery life has gone back to awesomeworld status.

And this is not a small difference, I am talking a HUGE change in battery life. With the facebook application installed my battery would be down to the one yellow bar within 24 hours. Now with f#@kbook deleted after almost 24 hours I still have 4 1/2 bars of battery showing!

Maybe I was not properly fully exiting out of the facebook application when closing? but either way that is unacceptable from an official RIM app.

I hope this helps others out that are having poor battery life issues. Please let me know if you have experienced anything similar.
    Obviously, anything that is constantly updating in the background (Facebook, Twitter and Weather apps) will drain your battery some. Of course, totally exiting the app, will help some, but as long as your battery lasts you until you go to sleep, who cares? Just charge it when you're asleep.
    12-02-09 11:15 AM
    It is probably not the full app, but just a link to download Facebook. That link is pushed by the carrier and is on all of our phones. Just hide it, along with the rest of that crap that is pushed.
    thanks, but it was one of the icons that came on the phone. i clicked it and did what was to me apparently the installation for the app. i can see photos and update statuses and see news feeds and such... is it like a promo/demo app and i dont have the real one?
    12-02-09 11:21 AM
    Obviously, anything that is constantly updating in the background (Facebook, Twitter and Weather apps) will drain your battery some. Of course, totally exiting the app, will help some, but as long as your battery lasts you until you go to sleep, who cares? Just charge it when you're asleep.
    I care actually. If I can charge my phone every 3rd night instead of every night its not hard to believe that would be much preferred.

Nothing worse than the feeling of heading out into the world with a near-dead battery if I forgot to charge during the night!
    12-02-09 11:49 AM
    no facebook battery issues for me.
    12-02-09 12:05 PM
    My battery drained down fast yesterday on my 9700.I have facebook,viigo,bb app world,pandora,aol,xenozu,1 screen saver(clock),google search,a couple of games,theme store and bible.Please tell me if I should remove these and or which ones.Before it drained all the way down,I powered off and when I turned it back on the battery was in the RED.So it drained to nothing while powered off.So I took the battery out until I got home.I work in the er,maybe medical equipment,but before I installed the applications,I had no problem.Please tell me what to do.

I thankyou in advance.
    Christy
    12-02-09 12:26 PM
    My battery drained down fast yesterday on my 9700.I have facebook,viigo,bb app world,pandora,aol,xenozu,1 screen saver(clock),google search,a couple of games,theme store and bible.Please tell me if I should remove these and or which ones.Before it drained all the way down,I powered off and when I turned it back on the battery was in the RED.So it drained to nothing while powered off.So I took the battery out until I got home.I work in the er,maybe medical equipment,but before I installed the applications,I had no problem.Please tell me what to do.

I thankyou in advance.
    Christy
    I am not sure if your being a little paranoid. I have those same apps and have 0 problems.
    12-02-09 12:29 PM
    Why would you say that?The battery was dead.Please re-read what I wrote.Maybe you did not understand.
    12-02-09 12:38 PM
    I care actually. If I can charge my phone every 3rd night instead of every night its not hard to believe that would be much preferred.

Nothing worse than the feeling of heading out into the world with a near-dead battery if I forgot to charge during the night!
    Then don't leave the Facebook app running constantly. Problem solved! You still get alerts when it's not running and it auto updates when you open it.

I get excellent battery life and I have facebook. But I don't leave it open all the time.
    12-02-09 12:45 PM
    Why would you say that?The battery was dead.Please re-read what I wrote.Maybe you did not understand.
    do you leave those apps open all the time to auto refresh?
    12-02-09 12:47 PM
    My battery drained completely down after I did an DM update on my Macbook. Turned if off a couple hours after the update and the next morning the Battery was completely dead.
    12-02-09 03:24 PM
    screen and keypad light staying on while on charge is this normal or is i a fault can someone advise please
    12-02-09 03:27 PM

I thankyou in advance.
    Christy
    LOL, It did not drain to nothing while off, if you reboot your phone while the battery is already low, chances are you will boot up to a red battery bar. The phone uses a lot of power to reboot.
    12-02-09 04:05 PM
    As far as fb- I'm an addict so I'm not deleting it anytime soon. I don't notice any terrible battery life on the 9700 but keep in mind my last device had a cdma chipset which is also brutal for battery life from my understanding.

However I will say that ubertwitter was the app from ****. I had to delete it to get data flowing again- it suspended everything- emails, bbm, other data using apps- when it was running.

like other have said I charge mine every night regardless. I've been getting a solid day out of it and i am a heavy talker- up to 4k minutes/month and have bluetooth on a large portion of the time as well. I do keep wifi off - no point in using it anyways when the hspa network is faster than my home dsl generally.
    12-02-09 05:55 PM
    Update on battery situation:

72 hours after deleting the facebook application and fully charging, my 9700 still shows 2 full bars. That is awesome battery life.

Lesson learned: make sure there are no programs running in the background!
    12-04-09 12:39 PM
    I do keep wifi off - no point in using it anyways when the hspa network is faster than my home dsl generally.

You may want to consider using wifi for the UMA benefit. Not only is it faster than the 3g speeds as well as being more reliable and stable for phone calls, but it actually makes your battery last longer. Doesn't tax the phone as much. I know it sounds counter intuitive to have an extra radio on in order to save battery, but when you are on wifi it bypasses the cellular radio and you do in fact get much longer battery life.

Now when you are out and about and not connected to wifi... I can only assume then that searching for an open wifi network is going to go back to the traditional draining of the battery.

Mark
    12-04-09 01:17 PM
    You may want to consider using wifi for the UMA benefit. Not only is it faster than the 3g speeds as well as being more reliable and stable for phone calls, but it actually makes your battery last longer. Doesn't tax the phone as much. I know it sounds counter intuitive to have an extra radio on in order to save battery, but when you are on wifi it bypasses the cellular radio and you do in fact get much longer battery life.

Now when you are out and about and not connected to wifi... I can only assume then that searching for an open wifi network is going to go back to the traditional draining of the battery.

Mark
    Pretty sure hes on Bell. No uma on Bell
    12-04-09 01:24 PM
    Pretty sure hes on Bell. No uma on Bell
    Awww... that truly is a shame. UMA is a "game changing" feature. Why a company would not enable it for their network makes no sense to me.
    12-04-09 01:37 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD