Here is an interesting podcast about price trends involving smartphones and speculations on possible mergers. One guy thinks Microsoft will buy Palm. Another guy think RIM will buy Palm.
    Last edited by lak611; 09-30-09 at 10:54 AM.
    09-30-09 10:41 AM
    Which smartphone is going to sell for $99? I can't listen to the podcast at work...
    09-30-09 11:43 AM
    iPhone 3G already is $99. Some new Android phones probably will be $99. Other manufacturers will have to keep price low, since 80% of sales are consumers, not businesses.

They also mention that RIM's OS is getting old and needs a makeover.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 11:56 AM
    I personally like RIM's OS. Nice and snappy. Although a cosmetic upgrade wouldnt hurt, just dont do it vista style.

But yea, manufacturers are def. gonna have to respond to the price war. But dont sweat! That means good news for us consumers!! ^_^
    09-30-09 07:15 PM
    Why the **** would MS buy palm when they are already working on WM7...
    RIM buying an OS that tends to store everything on a cloud seems kind of odd considering they are into the whole security thing.
    09-30-09 07:16 PM
    yes give me a $99 blackberry on a 2 year contract
    09-30-09 07:20 PM
    iphone 3g is $99 practically by the time the next gen rolls around. If you're talking about $99 phones on contract a year later, then it's already happened many times over.

If you're talking $99 at or near release as a regular thing, I doubt it since there's no way carriers will subsidize high end phones that much and they are still making a lot of high end phones...
    09-30-09 07:23 PM
    iphone 3g is $99 practically by the time the next gen rolls around. If you're talking about $99 phones on contract a year later, then it's already happened many times over.

If you're talking $99 at or near release as a regular thing, I doubt it since there's no way carriers will subsidize high end phones that much and they are still making a lot of high end phones...
    Those guys think the new Android phones which they consider low-end will be $99 and force other companies to lower their prices to avoid losing market share.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-09 07:28 PM
    RIM buying an OS that tends to store everything on a cloud seems kind of odd considering they are into the whole security thing.
    So they can put WM7 into their own phone, so they can reap all the benefits. Those greeedy pigs.

yes give me a $99 blackberry on a 2 year contract
    I thought i saw somewhere you can get the BB curve 85xx for $58 plus a contract with TMo.
    09-30-09 07:29 PM
    Here is an interesting podcast about price trends involving smartphones and speculations on possible mergers. One guy thinks Microsoft will buy Palm. Another guy think RIM will buy Palm.
    Is the price war going to be on last year's Blackberrys, or the latest releases? They are practically giving away the older BBs.

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Curve 8900 Phone, Black (AT&T): Cell Phones & Service
    09-30-09 07:32 PM
    So they can put WM7 into their own phone, so they can reap all the benefits. Those greeedy pigs.
    Or Microsoft can give up on Windows Mobile and use Palm's new OS if they buy them. Ballmer already admitted Microsoft "screwed up" Windows Mobile.
    09-30-09 07:35 PM
    Is the price war going to be on last year's Blackberrys, or the latest releases? They are practically giving away the older BBs.

Amazon.com: BlackBerry Curve 8900 Phone, Black (AT&T): Cell Phones & Service
    Those guys are thinking that the low-end Android phones will bring down everybody's prices so they try to keep market share. Consumers make up 80% of smartphone market. Consumers want the "feature phones," so new BlackBerrys will need to be cheap to get consumers to buy them, rather than the cheap Android phones.
    09-30-09 07:38 PM
    Or Microsoft can give up on Windows Mobile and use Palm's new OS if they buy them. Ballmer already admitted Microsoft "screwed up" Windows Mobile.
    Right, but wm7 is already going along rebuilt from the ground up. Not to mention I guarantee they are using parts of it in stuff other than just smartphones. That's a lot of cost to scrap it, buy Palm's webOs, which will basically lose all relation to WM whatsoever (not to mention porting all needed WM bundled software to webOS).

And yeah the 83xx has been available forever for $99 or way less on contract, recent devices like the Bold $99, free or $0.01 deals all over the place. Nothing particularly new.
    Last edited by papped; 09-30-09 at 07:44 PM.
    09-30-09 07:40 PM
    the centro last year was 100.00....the 100.00 price tag is not new.
    10-20-09 08:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD