I'm surprised to see a lack of chatter about a Netflix app for the Playbook. Am I missing the rumors? Will it be a pure app or just streaming from the website?

Lack of access to Netflix may just be a deal-breaker for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-11 03:05 PM
    "just streaming" from the website?? what's so horrible about that? A dedicated app would most likely come,even if not during the roll-out. in the meantime, I'll buy the PB you ignore.
    01-07-11 03:07 PM
    "just streaming" from the website?? what's so horrible about that? A dedicated app would most likely come,even if not during the roll-out. in the meantime, I'll buy the PB you ignore.
    Dude, wtf? My last sentence said the deal-breaker would be no access to it at all.

My greater point was the lack of rumors for a full app, or even demos of one in the many videos posted online. I will not be lambasted by anyone for expressing my personal preferences.

Please get out of your mother's basement for some fresh air before you take my opinions so personally.

01-07-11 03:13 PM
    Dude, wtf? My last sentence said the deal-breaker would be no access to it at all.

My greater point was the lack of rumors for a full app, or even demos of one in the many videos posted online. I will not be lambasted by anyone for expressing my personal preferences.

Please get out of your mother's basement for some fresh air before you take my opinions so personally.

I'm ignoring your cry-baby comments...

Until they release an app, IF the browser runs Silverlight, you are "good to go" with Netflix, on the PB. I can't recall if any prelim info mentioned Silverlight or no. In ANY event, Netflix IS planning an app for the PB
    01-07-11 03:23 PM
    Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial

No sign on the website

http://blog.netflix.com/2010/11/netflix-on-android.html
    Looks like they are trying for Android, and the complaints about Android SHOULDN'T exist for the Playbook

SOO if they have Windows Mobile 7 and iPhone/Pad then the Playbook shouldn't be to far away

Netflix API Forum
    Why not go here and ask if anyone is working on a Playbook app?
    01-07-11 03:26 PM
    I'm ignoring your cry-baby comments...

Until they release an app, IF the browser runs Silverlight, you are "good to go" with Netflix, on the PB. I can't recall if any prelim info mentioned Silverlight or no. In ANY event, Netflix IS planning an app for the PB
    That's the first intelligent thing you've said. All this would have been avoided had you not simply shared that last paragraph in your first reply. Thank you for sharing that pertainable information.

Your comment about buying the "PB I ignore" was meaningless and unproductive. I'm purposefully waiting for PB to come out before buying a tablet. Nothing makes me happier than having options beyond Apple.

FoxxBerry likes this.
    01-07-11 03:29 PM
    Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial

No sign on the website

http://blog.netflix.com/2010/11/netflix-on-android.html
    Looks like they are trying for Android, and the complaints about Android SHOULDN'T exist for the Playbook

SOO if they have Windows Mobile 7 and iPhone/Pad then the Playbook shouldn't be to far away

Netflix API Forum
    Why not go here and ask if anyone is working on a Playbook app?
    Thanks for the tip. Will share my findings.

01-07-11 03:30 PM
    That's the first intelligent thing you've said. All this would have been avoided had you not simply shared that last paragraph in your first reply. Thank you for sharing that pertainable information.

Your comment about buying the "PB I ignore" was meaningless and unproductive. I'm purposefully waiting for PB to come out before buying a tablet. Nothing makes me happier than having options beyond Apple.

It took just 3 posts to find common ground!
    FoxxBerry likes this.
    01-07-11 03:36 PM
    It took just 3 posts to find common ground!
    And here I thought 3 was too many!
    01-07-11 03:48 PM
    And here I thought 3 was too many!
    It's taken longer than that with others. <g>
    01-07-11 03:51 PM
    I haven't come across any silverlight information yet either would def be nice to have netflix running on playbook. Great topic def surprised there still isn't much chatter about it. I am pretty sure dave is correct that they are planning an app hopefully we'll be surprised and the app will be ready when we purchase the playbook though i would think having netflix running on the device would def be a strong marketing point.
    01-19-11 01:27 PM
    I haven't come across any silverlight information yet either would def be nice to have netflix running on playbook. Great topic def surprised there still isn't much chatter about it. I am pretty sure dave is correct that they are planning an app hopefully we'll be surprised and the app will be ready when we purchase the playbook though i would think having netflix running on the device would def be a strong marketing point.
    I can only go by what they told me. I called them the day this thread appeared. Netflix is pretty good about NOT BS'ing their customers, so I believe what they told me.
    01-19-11 02:29 PM
    It's taken longer than that with others. <g>
    dave i believe from what i can remember that's a record, going from bad to good that fast with someone! :PPPP i am a bit disappointed the back and forth that usually ensues is very entertaining
    Last edited by dsquared2; 01-19-11 at 05:41 PM.
    01-19-11 05:31 PM
    I recently signed up for the Netflix trial and frankly after three weeks I could care less if it's on the PB. I've tried to stream over two dozen movies so far and without exception in every single case Netflix said the movie I chose was not available for streaming but for $2 more a month they'd be glad to send me the DVD. That's not working for me so I'm going to cancel my subscription.

The only reason I mention this is that perhaps others have had the same experience and that's why you haven't seen a huge demand for Netflix on the PB.
    01-19-11 05:34 PM
    I recently signed up for the Netflix trial and frankly after three weeks I could care less if it's on the PB. I've tried to stream over two dozen movies so far and without exception in every single case Netflix said the movie I chose was not available for streaming but for $2 more a month they'd be glad to send me the DVD. That's not working for me so I'm going to cancel my subscription.

The only reason I mention this is that perhaps others have had the same experience and that's why you haven't seen a huge demand for Netflix on the PB.

the "28 days later" thing is what turns me away
    Zudeo likes this.
    01-19-11 05:41 PM
    @dcscott

Dude, I don't know if you live in Canada - but Netflix.ca blows absolute chunks up here in the North.

Iron Man, Dark Knight, Tropic Thunder, etc. (<- All 2008 titles) are not available in Netflix for us yet.

I was really excited to hear that they opened shop here - but browsed through their selection and was thoroughly disappointed.

Oh well, this won't deter me from getting a PlayBook. I'm actually thinking that Kevin might be right in his theory that it'll be announced at Half time in the Superbowl - so I can't wait! I don't watch football at all - but I'll be watching it for the announcement!

(I can't wait till my emails, etc. say 'Sent from my PlayBook'!!!)
    01-19-11 08:34 PM
    anyone notice the Netfix ad at the top of the page? coincidental :P
    FoxxBerry likes this.
    01-19-11 08:44 PM
    I can only go by what they told me. I called them the day this thread appeared. Netflix is pretty good about NOT BS'ing their customers, so I believe what they told me.
    That's def good news hopefully they'll hve a surprise for us when it comes out

01-20-11 12:42 AM

wow--different strokes!!! I absolutely LOVE Netflix. I get Blu-ray movies a couple times a week for their AWESOME detail (just watched I, Robot last week, which is a great movie to watch on Blu-ray). The monthly cost is a pittance--I pay $13 for tons of content--we watch something(s) on Netflix EVERY DAY. It's a great bargain.

Your last paragraph is rather odd--the PB isn't OUT yet, so why would you be expecting "a huge demand" for Netflix? Once people get it in their sweaty little hands, you can bet they'll want to watch movies on it.
    01-20-11 08:25 AM

Your last paragraph is rather odd--the PB isn't OUT yet, so why would you be expecting "a huge demand" for Netflix? Once people get it in their sweaty little hands, you can bet they'll want to watch movies on it.
    If my last paragraph seems odd to you, go back and read the very first post in this thread. This all started because someone was wondering why there hadn't been much interest in Netflix stated on this forum. All I was saying is that I want a PB, I'll probably buy a PB, but due to the fact that Netflix doesn't seem to offer many of their movies in the streaming format, I can see why there hasn't been much discussion about Netflix in this forum.
    01-20-11 08:44 AM
    couldn't resist
    04-09-11 08:42 PM
    Has anyone heard any updates on any upcoming Netflix apps for the Playbook? Or possibly streaming directly from the website??

Dave said there was a Netflix app in the works for the PB. However, there was also suppose to be a Netflix app for Android for a while now and so far there has been nothing. For me, streaming Netflix will be a huge factor on whether I get the PB or opt for the ipad 2.
    04-17-11 03:45 PM
    im on my playbook now. its great! fast no lag, but i want people to know if you try to stream off netflix website it will tell u it does not support your OS. this is going to be one of my main concerns until fixed
    04-20-11 09:38 AM
    Lets start a campaign to tweet or email netflix everyday until we get some kind of update from them on what the hold up is. Tweet to @netflix and @netflixhelps. See if enough tweets can get some type of response. Our userbase is certainly growing now with the discounts and sell through of the PB.
    11-29-11 06:02 AM
    anyone notice the Netfix ad at the top of the page? coincidental :P
    Bwa ha!!! That is so funny!
    05-09-12 02:47 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD