Might sound like a strange question, as Google maps is a free application, but I tried using it on my previous Blackberry Storm 2 9520, but the good people at Blackberry made it so that you have to pay for a data plan in order to receive the Maps.

I've asked this before and received an answer for which I didn't want, so I'm going to ask it again; is it possible to download Google maps on your PC, put the google maps on a memory card and then use it on the phone?

If not, which Cell Phones give you access to Google Maps without having to pay a monthly fee?
    05-24-10 10:04 PM
    First things first... Google Maps cannot be cached to a memory card and used like a standalone GPS unit.
    That said, while it IS possible (although not directly supported) to download the program to your computer to install via Desktop Manager, it is unlikely that this will do you any good, for the above stated reason that it requires a data connection to get any maps, directions, etc. If you're looking for a gps solution, and not have any monthly fees, you might want to look into a Garmin or TomTom type device, which stores the streets and maps on a memory card, and only look to the sky for the GPS coordinates.

On the other hand, a blackberry without any network connection, is quite a humble device. You can get SOOO much more out of it if you go for a data plan (trust me, it's worth it if you spend any amount of time online, it actually feels worthless when I'm in flight mode or otherwise out of service area).
    05-24-10 10:29 PM
    First things first... Google Maps cannot be cached to a memory card and used like a standalone GPS unit.
    That said, while it IS possible (although not directly supported) to download the program to your computer to install via Desktop Manager, it is unlikely that this will do you any good, for the above stated reason that it requires a data connection to get any maps, directions, etc. If you're looking for a gps solution, and not have any monthly fees, you might want to look into a Garmin or TomTom type device, which stores the streets and maps on a memory card, and only look to the sky for the GPS coordinates.

On the other hand, a blackberry without any network connection, is quite a humble device. You can get SOOO much more out of it if you go for a data plan (trust me, it's worth it if you spend any amount of time online, it actually feels worthless when I'm in flight mode or otherwise out of service area).
    Thanks a lot for that information.

How about phones that use the Android OS, I've heard that they have maps preinstalled onto them?
    05-25-10 01:44 PM
    Thanks a lot for that information.

How about phones that use the Android OS, I've heard that they have maps preinstalled onto them?
    They use Google navigation, but yoj need a data plan for those devices as well. I don't think that you can get around not paying for a data plan with smartphones nowadays, especually if you want to use GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-10 11:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD