Isn't there a phone app for dev alpha?
    07-20-12 09:53 AM
    I think I've read that RIM have disconnected the mic.
    07-20-12 10:30 AM
    If that were true, the voice commands wouldn't work.
    07-20-12 04:35 PM
    Aha good thinking. I read that somewhere this past week.

I also thought I've read that the devs aren't able to use them as phones because of something else that's been turned off but didn't want to say its concrete like my first post.

Another thing on my to read up on list

EDIT: Just seen you have one. Can you make calls with the Dev Alpha ?
    07-20-12 04:49 PM
    I use mine to make calls over Bluetooth all the time.
    07-20-12 04:50 PM
    So how do you actually dial the number you need?
    I've been able to pair a bluetooth headset and answer calls but not place them, need my car's infotainment interface to be able to actually dial something. Any ideas? Feasable to develop such an app?
    07-21-12 06:00 AM
    I dial & answer directly from my car.
    07-21-12 06:04 AM
    The mic works when recording a video, FYI.
    07-21-12 07:49 AM
    Thanks.

Fingers crossed we get an answer from someone who can tell us exactly what is different with the dev alpha and any other phone that can make calls.
    07-21-12 07:52 AM
    Thanks.

Fingers crossed we get an answer from someone who can tell us exactly what is different with the dev alpha and any other phone that can make calls.
    The Dev Alpha with an active SIM can place and answer calls. I have done it several times. All you need is a BT headset/speakerphone. It has the functions of a phone app but no icon. So we can't just launch the phone and dial out/answer using the Dev Alpha screen. That's the only difference. The Dev Alpha also has BBM on it, but just like the phone app, we can't launch it.

RIM has done their best to cripple the device so people that have one will spend their time writing apps instead of using the Dev Alpha as a daily use phone.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    07-22-12 12:27 AM
    id imagine both of those functions currently use the mic palced at the top of the device for use when recording video etc. there is not a mic at the bottom of the device, so making calls (without a headset) would be rather a challenge
    07-22-12 01:27 AM
    The Dev Alpha with an active SIM can place and answer calls. I have done it several times. All you need is a BT headset/speakerphone. It has the functions of a phone app but no icon. So we can't just launch the phone and dial out/answer using the Dev Alpha screen. That's the only difference. The Dev Alpha also has BBM on it, but just like the phone app, we can't launch it.

RIM has done their best to cripple the device so people that have one will spend their time writing apps instead of using the Dev Alpha as a daily use phone.
    Thanks Berryboba its all clear now.
    07-22-12 06:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD