I had a similar problem with my last two phones (Storm and Storm2) and I rectified it, but upon following the same process, it hasn't worked on my Bold 9900.

The Situation:

I have Facebook application installed and I have unchecked the options to link to Calender and Messages, however I have the Contacts option checked because I like the fact that it updates the photos from Facebook to my linked BlackBerry contacts.

The Problem:

It seems to be that by linking the contacts, it also uses the contacts' birthdays from Facebook and so it creates hundreds of entries of all my Facebook friends' birthdays in my BlackBerry calender. I have two calenders: my default (the one that I sync with Outlook) and the Facebook one (the one that simply contains Facebook birthdays that I want permanently deleted).

What I Want:

I want to permanently delete this Facebook calender and all its entries with it. However, I want to keep my Contacts linked with Facebook because, as I say, I like the fact that it updates the contacts' pictures. I have done it before and its worked, but it is not seeming to work with the Bold right now.

What I Have Tried:

I tried this process previously on my other two BlackBerries which worked:

- Download Facebook Application.
    - Uncheck Calender and Messages options.
    - Manually delete all Facebook birthday entries from Facebook Calender (you can view just the Facebook calender).
    - Delete Facebook [CICAL] service book.
    - Sync as normal with Desktop Manager.
    - Then go to Backup/Restore and delete ALL Facebook entries.
    - Re-sync with Desktop Manager and you will only have your one Calender with all your entries!

This worked with my Bold, but only for a few hours. Merely hours later, my Calender was then inundated with a plethora of Facebook birthday entries again.

Is there any way to permanently delete the Facebook [CICAL] service book?

Thanks for reading and your help!
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    08-28-11 10:35 AM
    I have the same problem. Please help.
    08-28-11 10:47 AM
    Yes, me too! A solution to this would be GREAT!
    08-28-11 11:11 AM
    I'm bumping this just the once, in case anyone can help. Thanks!
    08-28-11 03:04 PM
    Alright guys, I think I have found a solution. I did it yesterday and so far it has been 24 hours with no more Facebook [CICAL], so hopefully it's somewhat permanent, you may have to do it every time you update Facebook, but it seems to have worked so far, so here goes...

- Then go to Backup/Restore and specifically delete ALL Calender entries.
    - Keeping the Bold plugged in, go and delete Facebook [CICAL] service book.
    - Re-sync with Desktop Manager and you will only have your one Calender with all your entries!

Now, as I say, this has worked for a little under 24 hours, which is good! I have my fingers crossed that this is a permanent fix.

Let me know how you get on with it.
    bigbamboo likes this.
    08-29-11 10:26 AM
    Alright guys, I think I have found a solution. I did it yesterday and so far it has been 24 hours with no more Facebook [CICAL], so hopefully it's somewhat permanent, you may have to do it every time you update Facebook, but it seems to have worked so far, so here goes...

- Then go to Backup/Restore and specifically delete ALL Calender entries.
    - Keeping the Bold plugged in, go and delete Facebook [CICAL] service book.

Now, as I say, this has worked for a little under 24 hours, which is good! I have my fingers crossed that this is a permanent fix.

Let me know how you get on with it.
    I've just tried it. You're 24 hours ahead, so please let me know how it works for you, as well as me giving feedback. Thank you!
    08-29-11 12:38 PM
    Just to say that it has been 36-42 hours and still no Facebook birthday entries, and the Facebook [CICAL] service book seems to still be gone. So, good news!
    08-30-11 08:06 AM
    Right, it has reverted back I'm afraid. I was led on.
    08-31-11 07:51 AM
    Mine too! Surely someone has a fix for this? *Looks hopefully around room*
    09-08-11 03:57 AM
    Well I'm currently on holiday and have no access to play around with other potential fixes. Does no one else really have this problem? It's so frustrating for me... If anyone finds any other information, then please post it here.

Speaking of being on holiday, I was thrilled to see that my Vodafone contract gives me 25MB of data usage FREE every day! I think its amazing meaning I don't have to turn my emails off and it gives me internet access that I otherwise would not have.

But yeah... Once I get home I will keep on trying to find a remedy.

Sent from my BlackBerry� Bold 9900 wireless device
    09-08-11 05:27 AM
    Well I'm currently on holiday and have no access to play around with other potential fixes. Does no one else really have this problem? It's so frustrating for me... If anyone finds any other information, then please post it here.

Speaking of being on holiday, I was thrilled to see that my Vodafone contract gives me 25MB of data usage FREE every day! I think its amazing meaning I don't have to turn my emails off and it gives me internet access that I otherwise would not have.

But yeah... Once I get home I will keep on trying to find a remedy.

Would you let me know directly if you find a fix please - it is very annoying! (And yes, Voda are great for roaming...)
    09-08-11 06:17 AM
    Ditto, if you keep trying could you also let me know? Thanks.

09-08-11 07:04 AM
    service book entries are automatically restored on ur bb whenever u do a rebbot, thats the problem. theres no goin around that part.
    09-08-11 09:07 AM
    If service books are automatically restored, how come all of my messaging service books [CICAL] of all my other email addresses aren't restored? The Facebook calendar service book is the only one that is restored. The Facebook calendar service book wasn't restored on my Storm2 either... I just can't work it out.

09-08-11 09:38 AM
    Ok Guys the reason the FB calendar entries come back has nothing to do with messages or link to calendar i am afraid.

The birthday calendar entries come when you link the contacts option. I had the same issue and once I unchecked the contacts it never reappeared. I think it is dumb of RIM to have it set that way, why have a calendar option if the contacts is going to add stuff to the calendar as well.
    bigbamboo likes this.
    09-08-11 09:47 AM
    If you find that you have a 'Facebook Calendar', you might try this to merge everything onto the default? Just a thought: FAQ: Merge Multiple Calendars Into One Calendar - BerryReview
    09-08-11 09:51 AM
    Ok Guys the reason the FB calendar entries come back has nothing to do with messages or link to calendar i am afraid.

The birthday calendar entries come when you link the contacts option. I had the same issue and once I unchecked the contacts it never reappeared. I think it is dumb of RIM to have it set that way, why have a calendar option if the contacts is going to add stuff to the calendar as well.

Thing is - if I merge all my calendars into one, will that just not make the birthday entries sync to my Outlook, which would be even more annoying!

Thanks for the reply, but I just want to make one thing clear:

I have used the above strategy to get rid of my Facebook birthday entries on previous BlackBerrys and it did work. I also made sure that the contacts option WAS selected because I like the fact that it updates the contacts' photos (as it did on previous BBs).

There is a way of unchecking messages and calendar options but keeping contacts option checked and not continually getting the Facebook calendar/birthday entries appear. I have done it before.

Also, if the Facebook [CICAL] apparently reappears every time I reboot, how come all the other service books that I deleted (ie. all the other email address calendar service books) do not reappear.

There MUST be a way of permanently delete the Facebook service book for good from my phone. Otherwise what is the point of deleting it in the first place?!

09-10-11 05:40 AM
    Okay, I took the plunge and merged my calendars - and the Facebook birthdays are gone and I have rebooted and the Facebook CICAL has not reappeared. I'm happy, but might have somehow got lucky - if you want to try it, bear in mind that the operation to merge calendars can't be undone (although I can't really see a big risk to that either way.) Good luck...
    09-10-11 07:44 AM
    Okay, I took the plunge and merged my calendars - and the Facebook birthdays are gone and I have rebooted and the Facebook CICAL has not reappeared. I'm happy, but might have somehow got lucky - if you want to try it, bear in mind that the operation to merge calendars can't be undone (although I can't really see a big risk to that either way.) Good luck...
    Thanks for the post bigbamboo! Could I ask you to post back in a few days with an update of how it is treating you? It's just that I am still on holiday for another week or so.

Also, what has actually happened since you merged your calendars? Were there any downfalls, or have you just lost the Facebook birthday entries? Do the birthday entries now not just show up in your main calendar now?

Did you rid your Bold of all of the Facebook [CICAL] entries prior to consolidating your calendars?

If it's not too much trouble, could you give me the checklist of what you did?

09-10-11 09:41 AM
    As far as I can see, you have to merge the calendars into one (FAQ: Merge Multiple Calendars Into One Calendar - BerryReview) and then every time the Facebook CICAL comes back (every 2 or 3 days) you delete it (also detailed on that link) and go through the merge process again (on the link) and then using the desktop software copy the calendar that DOESN'T HAVE the Facebook info you don't want OVER the one that does (so either copy FROM device to Outlook or TO the device from Outlook, depending) and click the desktop software box to delete information in the destination calendar when copying over.

Be careful, obviously, but as long as you have a full calendar without the Facebook info, you should be fine. I've done this three times now and it works (and isn't quite the palavar that it sounds...)

Good luck!
    09-14-11 06:59 AM
    1) Backup with facebook calendar sync unchecked
    2) Do not select calendar items in your backup.
    3) Wipe device
    4) Restore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-11 09:38 AM
    1) Backup with facebook calendar sync unchecked
    2) Do not select calendar items in your backup.
    3) Wipe device
    4) Restore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Have you done this? Is this a permanent fix? Are you sure the Facebook [CICAL] will not just reappear after two or three days?
    09-14-11 10:07 AM
    As far as I can see, you have to merge the calendars into one (FAQ: Merge Multiple Calendars Into One Calendar - BerryReview) and then every time the Facebook CICAL comes back (every 2 or 3 days) you delete it (also detailed on that link) and go through the merge process again (on the link) and then using the desktop software copy the calendar that DOESN'T HAVE the Facebook info you don't want OVER the one that does (so either copy FROM device to Outlook or TO the device from Outlook, depending) and click the desktop software box to delete information in the destination calendar when copying over.

Be careful, obviously, but as long as you have a full calendar without the Facebook info, you should be fine. I've done this three times now and it works (and isn't quite the palavar that it sounds...)

Good luck!
    Hey, thanks again for this reply.

I just have a few questions:

I am on BIS and I only use my Hotmail calendar as my default. Even though I have six other email addresses on my phone, they are never a problem as I only use my Hotmail calendar on my phone which I sync with Outlook 2007 through Desktop Manager.

By merging all my calendars, I am afraid that the Facebook birthdays will then be automatically merged into my Hotmail calendar (default) which will then subsequently be synchronised to my Outlook, which would be a disaster. I most certainly do not want all the Facebook birthdays to end up in my Outlook!

After you have merged your calendars, have you had the birthday entries reappear every two or three days?
    09-14-11 10:18 AM
    Hey, thanks again for this reply.

By merging all my calendars, I am afraid that the Facebook birthdays will then be automatically merged into my Hotmail calendar (default) which will then subsequently be synchronised to my Outlook, which would be a disaster. I most certainly do not want all the Facebook birthdays to end up in my Outlook!

After you have merged your calendars, have you had the birthday entries reappear every two or three days?
    Don't merge them until you have first removed the Facebook entries, then there will be no risk. And yes, every now and again they come back onto my phone and I have to delete them before I merge again - no big deal.
    09-14-11 12:48 PM
    - make sure in facebook calendars is unchecked
    - delete the servicebook on the phone
    - on desktop manager go to device/delete data/selected data and check calendars

9/10 times if you just delete the fb calendar the dates get pushed over to default calandar
    09-14-11 02:48 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD