I'm stopping service at this months end for VZ's expensive $59 a month service. I was using the VZ card for internet access on my netbook.

But now that I have unlimited mobile internet access on my BB I don't use my net book much anymore.

I see that PDAnet offers the one time $29.95 purchase of their software for the Tour and a $5 discount if I was a registered user with another PDA which I was. So for $24.95 it seems like a no brainer to me against Teatherberry's $49.95 price.

PdaNet -- Use your BlackBerry as a USB Modem

I know there are other threads on tethering and I've read some of them but they all seem to get off on a tangent.

I'd like to avoid another $39 a month charge from VZ on top of the $45 I already pay for the BB plan.

Seems the VZ teather plan only saves me about $20 a month over using the $59 per mo. VZ card.

Anyone else using PDAnet on their Tour and are the speeds similar to Tetherberry's.

Or would I be better off just paying up for the monthy VZ tether plan.

Thx
    11-22-09 02:52 PM
    FYI VZW's tethering is only $15/mo now with a BB, and the first month's free. That's what I use. I don't like the idea of potentially getting my service cut or getting back billed if my account's audited and they find I've used Tetherberry, etc. Google and you'll find those stories. Here's the link for VWZ mobile broadband that talks about the $15/mo service. Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Plans

Good luck!
    11-22-09 03:20 PM
    its 15 a month if your paying for the BES plan, for BIS its 29.99 a month. Any way you cut its its going to be $100 a month for the basic 450 min, BB email and tethering. and besides, the way tetherberry works, even if they audit it, its just data to / from the BIS connection, i DOUBT they could figure out which data was used by the BB and which was the laptop. Also - Tetherberry is now on the VZW "Apps" page, so if they ever ask, I'll say I assumed it was legit, since its ON YOUR PAGE VZW!!
    Back on topic.
    Tetherberry works fine for me - but which ever software provider figures out BT tethering first im going to use that, even if I have to pay for PDAnet.
    11-22-09 03:44 PM
    True, $15/mo is if you have the BES plan. I've just looked through 7 pages of apps on VZW's site and don't see PDANet or TB... what am I missing?
    11-22-09 03:58 PM
    True, $15/mo is if you have the BES plan. I've just looked through 7 pages of apps on VZW's site and don't see PDANet or TB... what am I missing?
    For PDANet, go to PdaNet -- Use your BlackBerry as a USB Modem
    11-22-09 05:04 PM
    So what plan do I have?

Off my bill:
    Email & Web for BlackBerry 11/13 - 12/12 29.99
    21% - Feature Discount 11/13 - 12/12 -6.30
    (I get a corporate discount.)

VZ's website is confusing. One line says $15 and another says $29.99.

what's the diff between BIS and BES. So if I tether tru VZ I should only have to pay the $15. The VZ rep on the phone a few weeks ago told my it wil be $29.99 with my plan.

Are they telling me if my plan was off the company server it would be the $15 fee, but since my plan is on my own it will be the $29.99?

If the speeds are similar I'd rather just go with the one-time PDAnet cost!
    11-22-09 06:53 PM
    So what plan do I have?

Off my bill:
    Email & Web for BlackBerry 11/13 - 12/12 29.99
    21% - Feature Discount 11/13 - 12/12 -6.30
    (I get a corporate discount.)

VZ's website is confusing. One line says $15 and another says $29.99.

what's the diff between BIS and BES. So if I tether tru VZ I should only have to pay the $15. The VZ rep on the phone a few weeks ago told my it wil be $29.99 with my plan.

Are they telling me if my plan was off the company server it would be the $15 fee, but since my plan is on my own it will be the $29.99?

If the speeds are similar I'd rather just go with the one-time PDAnet cost!
    You have a BIS plan. As was pointed out earlier the VZAM tethering cost per month on a BIS account is $30. If you were on a BES it would be $15 (but you, or your company, would be paying an additional $15 for the BES service with VZW.
    11-22-09 08:28 PM
    I have tried both programs, and I ended up paying for Tetherberry. PDAnet wouldn't work with my VPN and I found the speeds much better with Tetherberry. In fact, the speed comparison with tethering directly to my carrier and using Tetherberry are almost identical. I found PDAnet to be much slower than either of the other methods.

If only you could use Tetherberry via bluetooth...
    11-22-09 11:00 PM
    Thx for the replies. I'l probably go the Tetherberry route, cause I don't want to have to pay another $30 a month. My last bill with only a 700 minute plan and one extra line for another $20 plus the $59 VZ card is running $190 a month now. This is getting ridiculous.

To think I used to complain when years ago my VZ home land line was costing $45 a month!

I use MagicJack now for the land line. At $20 a year with all the bells and whistles . . . ya can't go wrong.
    11-23-09 04:07 PM
    FYI, tetherberry does NOT work if you upload large file. I tried to upload a 4MB file to my computer at work, but everytime, it locks up that required a reboot of my BB (8830) to recover. Tetherberry engineer stated that it was a known problem with current solution. Just beware!
    12-02-09 12:19 AM
    Have Teatherberry, love it.
    12-02-09 12:24 AM
    tetherberry was on sale for $25 this weekend. :]
    12-02-09 01:11 AM
    i bought the tetherberry for the 25 dollars on monday....i use ATT and have the 30 dollar bb plan...anyone use the tetherberry on att? i dont download anything major mainly just facebook like farmville and stuff, and i watch the tetherberry gauge and like tonight ive been on for like 3 hours and used 1 mb sent and 9 downloaded.....but i think if we pay for 5 GIG we should use at how we want you know? i was just wondering if anyone has gotten in trouble...i had a blackjack to and had a tetherring program for like 5 months and downloaded all kinds of stuff. never heard anything from them.
    12-02-09 03:05 AM
    It's there. Here is a screen shot posted. i also took 3 screen shots to save in my Photobucket. It's under Get Apps-Apps for Fun & Work-Best Sellers.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/le...-berry-370035/

i've been using Tetherberry and it works great! Well worth the one time fee.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-09 03:20 AM
    Just to add my experience: I'm testing PDANet and Tetherberry this week. I live in a "fringe" coverage area (rural-ish) where my cell connection is spotty even in the house (works better in some rooms than others, on certain sides of the house, etc.); I depend on tethering for my connection, too -- we have no cable, wireless or DSL at home. Tethering in general is faster than dialup by a long shot. I have been paying for AT&T tethering but need to cut back. (I would agree that it's highway robbery, except that it's my sole internet connection at home.)

Tetherberry is faster than PDANet, for me. But here's the most important advantage: my PDANet connection quits when I get an incoming email or text message on my BB. My AT&T connection does, too. Tetherberry doesn't.

In any case, I save $30/month by just having the unlimited data plan (instead of $60/month for the tethering 5MB-limit one). Oh: I never even remotely approach that monthly cap, and I stay connected for hours, daily -- (usually because I forget to disconnect the phone). But I don't download much.

i bought the tetherberry for the 25 dollars on monday....i use ATT and have the 30 dollar bb plan...anyone use the tetherberry on att? i dont download anything major mainly just facebook like farmville and stuff, and i watch the tetherberry gauge and like tonight ive been on for like 3 hours and used 1 mb sent and 9 downloaded.....but i think if we pay for 5 GIG we should use at how we want you know? i was just wondering if anyone has gotten in trouble...i had a blackjack to and had a tetherring program for like 5 months and downloaded all kinds of stuff. never heard anything from them.
    Last edited by kvandyke; 12-21-09 at 09:23 PM. Reason: typos
    12-21-09 09:19 PM
    Tetherberry also has a bluetooth-capable version that is in beta testing right now, and it works great, no cables/wires! Just fire up the app on bb and pc and go!
    12-21-09 09:25 PM
    I wish it would go on sale again like say for xmas.
    12-21-09 11:10 PM
    I have no idea how long it is on sale, but you can get it for half-off here right now:

https://usd.swreg.org/cgi-bin/s.cgi?...nkid=HLRN_TB_3
    12-21-09 11:17 PM
    This thread has been gathering dust and for good reason perhaps.LOL, but I didn't want to start a new thread and have a question I did not see here, I tried both pda net and tberry and while tb is the easiest connection and also fastest it seems to me that pdanet does flash sites better. Like hulu on tb seems to need alot more buffering and is very jerky. pdanet seems to do better with flash sites. Is there any basis to my observation or should there be no diff? Is there anyway one over the other could possibly affect browser speed? I need to purchase one of these apps and I'm trying to decide. Any input much appreciated.

I really like the ease of "tether"(they changed the name) better and it seems most of you do also.
    06-16-10 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD