Is it just me, or is the thought of having to pay for a upgrade seem wrong. I understand that the developers put time any money into the apps, but making us pay for an upgrade is a little much.

Maybe if the cost of the apps were a little less then it may not be a big deal.

And yes I know if I don't like it then don't pay for the upgrade.

Oh well back to work

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-10 10:46 PM
    I'm sure it's not just you, but I sure disagree with that sentiment. Almost all apps offer free upgrades except for major releases, and when there IS a fee to upgrade, it's usually substantially less than the original price of the app, and the app itself is usually drastically improved.

Personally, given the choice between letting the apps stagnate or helping to fund their dramatic improvement, I'll take option 2. I LIKE it when a developer keeps making improvements to an app and listening to what users want. The $2 or $3 most upgrades cost is not money I'll miss, and I actually feel good about supporting good developers.

You don't get your favorite band's next album for free just because you bought their current one. I look at this the same way. If you're happy with what you got, stick with it. But if you want the newer and (usually) better product, that's what you're paying for. You're making it possible for someone whose work you enjoy to keep doing the work you enjoy. I LOVE hearing that my favorite app just got a facelift, and as long as I like the new features, I'm happy to reward the person who created them for me.
    05-19-10 11:10 PM
    If you're paying for bug fixes, yeah it's annoying. But if there's new features, I understand the point of charging.

05-19-10 11:30 PM
    Your not the only one. I understand what is being said about upgrades and paying for it ect...

But my pet peeve is I paid $5 for a app 5 months ago, the developer comes out with a upgrade, charges $3 for a upgrade. Seems simple doesn't it. But what gets me going is that new customers come in after the upgrade is done, pays $5 for the app and gets the upgrade, and has the exact same thing that I am ending up paying $8 for. I was there supporting the developer 5 months ago, and yet I get the honors of paying more for the same app a new buyer gets it for.

I say if a app is upgraded and worth $3 to charge for the upgrade, then the app should be worth $3 more and now be $8.
    05-20-10 12:00 AM
    Being an early adapter is a b, huh?
    I get what you're saying, but if that as how things were, blackberry apps would be even more ridiculously expensive.
    Think of the extra $3 as a time payment - you got to use the app for that much longer than the people buying it now.

05-20-10 12:09 AM
    I do understand the need for the paid upgrades, what's gets me too is new customers get the app cheaper then the ones that already have it, we pay more. But down the road those people will have to pay more for it as well too.

Don't get me wrong but I do like having the bugs worked out of the apps , and new things added to the app.

05-20-10 12:22 AM
    what gets me going is that new customers come in after the upgrade is done, pays $5 for the app and gets the upgrade, and has the exact same thing that I am ending up paying $8 for.
    The $3 more that you paid was for the 5 months you got to use it before the other person did. It doesn't seem so silly if you flip the numbers... imagine that the first version was $3 and you paid that much for software you liked for the 5 months in between, then both you and the new user paid $5 for the newer, better one.

I get where you're coming from, but is $3 really that big a deal? To me it's not a value worth being upset over. You can't buy a single gallon of gas for that. Your software upgrade isn't worth as much as a single gallon of gas? I get more utility out of my paid apps than $3 worth, or I don't buy them.
    05-20-10 01:10 AM
    The $3 more that you paid was for the 5 months you got to use it before the other person did. It doesn't seem so silly if you flip the numbers... imagine that the first version was $3 and you paid that much for software you liked for the 5 months in between, then both you and the new user paid $5 for the newer, better one.

I get where you're coming from, but is $3 really that big a deal? To me it's not a value worth being upset over. You can't buy a single gallon of gas for that. Your software upgrade isn't worth as much as a single gallon of gas? I get more utility out of my paid apps than $3 worth, or I don't buy them.

It is nothing I am upset with, I do buy the upgrades. But it just feels like I am getting to pay more for the same thing is all I am saying. It was the way I was thinking, if the app is worth to charge for a upgrade, maybe it is worth charging more for the app.

With this said, the developer should leave a download for the older app when they do a paid upgrade, so if someone has has to wipe their phone and re-install the apps they are not forced to pay the upgrade fee to put the old one back on.

And I am glad to say, I can still buy gas for less then $3 a gallon. LOL
    05-21-10 08:05 AM
    I think in most cases, it's a small price to pay for a significant feature bump.
    05-21-10 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD