This is my first post here, thank you

I have a problem with one of my kids, He keeps texting late at night (up to 2AM) and school is about to start. I want him to focus in school and get a good night sleep. I have contemplated taking the phone away but I really don't want to do that. My question is: are there any apps that can control the times he is allowed to text/make phone calls or surf the web? the best thing I found was "AT&T Smart Limits" but its only for AT&T customers and I am on virgin mobile.
    Does anyone know of any app that can do this?

Also I would like a recommendation for an app that can track (gps) my kid, like chaperon for Verizon. I spend a lot of time at work and I would like to know where he is after school.

He has the Blackberry curve 8530
    Virgin Mobile

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you very much.
    08-28-10 01:42 AM
    Respectfully, a smart-phone is not designed for parental control. The 8530 as listed on the Verizon website does not include Usage Controls or Family Locator capability. It is frankly designed for use by a responsible person. I would recommend you set guidelines for your son's usage and if he does not follow them, either replace the BB with a phone that you can control or take away the phone completely. Good luck.
    08-28-10 12:46 PM
    thanks for the advice, but he is a good kid otherwise and I got him the phone because of good grades. I have no other problems otherwise. I just want to make sure he does not text late at night. is there any good parental control apps?
    Please help
    08-28-10 11:06 PM
    It does not look like there are any parental controls available for your carrier. The plan includes unlimited texting. The only thing you could do is take the phone away from him at night.
    08-28-10 11:16 PM
    Set the auto on and auto off. On my 8530 I have it set to go off around 11pm and on around 6am. I also have a password set so my 2 yr. old doesnt call China. When it turns on the keyboard is automatically locked. You would have to unlock it with the code you choose every morning.
    But he can always turn the auto on/off off.
    08-29-10 07:54 AM
    What you're looking for is controlled by the carrier and virgin mobile does not offer anything similar. Even if there were an app he could disable it. Best to switch carriers or take his phone at night. Or maybe have him charge it on the other side of the room and set it to mute at a certain time so its not as much of a temptation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 05:47 PM
    I have to agree with the auto on/off.

08-29-10 05:53 PM
    Respectfully, a smart-phone is not designed for parental control.
    I agree with that statement.
    The best thing we can offer you is to just take the phone away from him at night. It will get him angry, but your the parent and you pay for the bill, it's also a privilege not a right.
    Good Luck !
    08-29-10 05:55 PM
    This is my first post here, thank you

I have a problem with one of my kids, He keeps texting late at night (up to 2AM) and school is about to start. I want him to focus in school and get a good night sleep. I have contemplated taking the phone away but I really don't want to do that. My question is: are there any apps that can control the times he is allowed to text/make phone calls or surf the web? the best thing I found was "AT&T Smart Limits" but its only for AT&T customers and I am on virgin mobile.
    Does anyone know of any app that can do this?

Also I would like a recommendation for an app that can track (gps) my kid, like chaperon for Verizon. I spend a lot of time at work and I would like to know where he is after school.

He has the Blackberry curve 8530
    Virgin Mobile

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you very much.
    Try BuddyGuard , this app actually for locking your phone in case of stolen or lost , but you must lock your kid phone manually every time using text message from ur phone , and unlock it in the morning. http://m.terramobility.com/bg/470/buddyguard.jad

08-29-10 08:42 PM
    I don't think there's anything you can do to the phone itself that a kid in school can't figure out how to undo in about 10 minutes.
    I'm a pretty laid back guy as far as all that stuff, so I'd say if he decided to stay up late he'll just be tired when he gets up for school.
    But since most parents don't feel that way, you'll probably just have to take the phone away if your guidelines aren't adhered to.
    08-29-10 09:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD