hey everyone. i'm trying my hand at doing some reviews for different blackberry storm apps. my first ones were on pandora vs. slacker. can you guys watch my videos and tell me what i could do better or what you guys looks for in reviews. thanks.

nickmoyer.tumblr.com/tagged/BlackBerry%20Storm

nick.moyer
    04-16-09 03:39 PM
    I think that slacker is currently better than pandora since slacker can cache stuff, but I think pandora is better at finding music you like. Slacker is FAR better though because it can cache.
    04-16-09 05:20 PM
    pandora > all.
    04-16-09 05:38 PM
    I personally like Slacker just like what spierce7 said you could cache the stations which is really cool cause it saves you some battery.. But it does take a long time to cache the stations when you update your Storm. But overall its a great app
    04-16-09 05:42 PM
    I think that slacker is currently better than pandora since slacker can cache stuff, but I think pandora is better at finding music you like. Slacker is FAR better though because it can cache.
    i agree but I've been using Pandora all the time since it was released.
    04-16-09 06:00 PM
    Pandora fan. Lot better at customizing station to your taste.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-09 07:42 PM
    I might be a little biased here since I have been using Slacker on my Storm since February and have grown to like it, but I installed the Pandora application this week when I heard it was out and just found it to be missing so much.

With Slacker I have gotten so used to hitting the "Stations" option and having a lot to choose from that I am just disappointed when I do the same on Pandora and get a big list of...nothing.

Also, at least on the Storm, there is a lot to do while listening to music on Slacker but with Pandora it is pretty sparse, not a huge deal but it seemed like a lot when I was listening.

Maybe it is just me, but the sound on Pandora seemed a lot worse on my Storm than Slacker, not like buffering or whatever, but the way the songs actually sound. I have also cached a couple of stations on Slacker and find this very useful, especially on my commutes or when I need to conserve battery life.

Overall I just couldn't come up with a single reason to move over to Pandora, so I'm sticking with Slacker, I like it a lot.
    04-16-09 08:04 PM
    To respond to your original request (if you're serious):

The first thing you should do is get your thoughts together before recording. Then, perhaps you should try a few practice runs before posting the video. It looks as if you turned on the recorder and just started rambling. By the way, in the first video, it did not sound like a review or comparison at all; it sounds like you are pandering (pun very much intended)to Slacker in the hopes of having them improve the remaining imperfections of this great app you've found. And oh yeah, if someone would like to tell you why Pandora is better, you're willing to listen. If you speak to a company rep, write down what they tell you, and state it in your review, vs. "they told me something like..." "it's something like...". Otherwise, it's worthless as a review. Just my two cents - and you did ask. And I admit, I couldn't make it past 30 seconds of the 2nd video, because of your rambling. You might very well have been brilliant beyond that point.

BTW, I agree that Pandora is clearly better at identifying music similar to your taste, but it needs a cache function to play the music in poor reception areas (such as cubicles located in the dungeon of an office building - or on a plane).
    04-16-09 08:40 PM
    I use both, Pandora is my choice more times though. great apps
    04-16-09 09:52 PM
    I might be a little biased here since I have been using Slacker on my Storm since February and have grown to like it, but I installed the Pandora application this week when I heard it was out and just found it to be missing so much.

With Slacker I have gotten so used to hitting the "Stations" option and having a lot to choose from that I am just disappointed when I do the same on Pandora and get a big list of...nothing.

Also, at least on the Storm, there is a lot to do while listening to music on Slacker but with Pandora it is pretty sparse, not a huge deal but it seemed like a lot when I was listening.

Maybe it is just me, but the sound on Pandora seemed a lot worse on my Storm than Slacker, not like buffering or whatever, but the way the songs actually sound. I have also cached a couple of stations on Slacker and find this very useful, especially on my commutes or when I need to conserve battery life.

Overall I just couldn't come up with a single reason to move over to Pandora, so I'm sticking with Slacker, I like it a lot.

+1 to everything you said. I'm gonna give Pandora more time to see how it handles my custom stations, which it might do better, but I like Slacker's wide range of preset mixes and caching.
    04-16-09 10:07 PM
    I prefer pandora's AI over slacker's, but pandora is a bit buggy with buffering and has lower sound quality. Slacker pretty much works flawlessly. But if pandora fixes the buffering issues and random bugginess, I can see myself using it more often than slacker.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-09 04:22 AM
    Odd - I find Pandora to be more fluid, and no buffering issues whereas I constantly had them with Slacker.

That and Slacker seemed to have a huge memory leak too. I'll be sticking with Pandora.
    04-17-09 06:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD