I personally like them both for what the other lacks. I like that Pandora I can create a station and go back and add an artist/song to that station. I will say that most of the songs being played are older instead of new. Don't know if I can do that with Slacker, been looking but to no avail. I would love the cache feature on Slacker but really don't understand what my next step is after I cache. Do I still have to open Slacker to play the stations? That would be crazy. Both apps are worth having. Wouldn't it be great to have the best of both?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-09 09:09 AM
    Slacker didn't work on my 9000. However Pandora worked from the moment it was installed. Although I wish the sound quality was better.
    05-03-09 05:12 PM
    Both are ad supported (both have audio ads) so that's a wash. Both allow limited skips.

Slacker pros:
    Caching, caching, and caching. Invaluable for subway riders.
    Better BB app.

Pandora pros:
    The OpenPandora app lets me use my keyboard's multimedia keys.
    Quickmix.
    Better song suggestion algorithm.
    Better desktop UI.
    Sound quality.

Here are the facts on sound quality. Slacker uses 40kbps stereo aac+v2 and 128kbps stereo mp3. Pandora uses 64kbps mono aac+ and 128kbps stereo aac. On the desktop Pandora will sound better (128kbps aac > 128kbps mp3). On the BB, Slacker will always use 40kbps stereo aac+v2. On the iPhone Pandora uses 128kbps on Wi-Fi and 64kbps otherwise. On the BB, I don't know if Pandora can use its 128kbps stream. If it does, Pandora wins. If not, Pandora would still be better quality but would only be mono.

So... Pandora unless I have no connection, then Slacker.
    Last edited by yeahman; 05-03-09 at 10:30 PM.
    05-03-09 10:09 PM
    The clarity of slacker is awesome...
    05-03-09 10:11 PM
    I use Pandora and like it, but it does tend to cut out sometimes. I guess I need to try out Slacker because I've never used it.
    05-03-09 10:12 PM
    There's no way the quality on Pandora is higher on the BB regardless of the connection or even the fact that its mono...

05-03-09 11:57 PM
    You're right. Pandora on the BB is sounding worse than 64kbps mono aac+. Guessing there's an even lower quality stream. OK so Slacker for the BB it is. Still using Pandora on the desktop which sounds great.
    05-04-09 12:33 AM
    i use pandora on my desktop, and was wondering if the BB app was good
    05-04-09 01:17 AM
    I think it sounds great in my car. My wife agrees. No noticeable difference between the two. If she picks the app, it's much easier for me to guess which one she picked based on content than quality (until a song break. If the next track starts reight away, it's Pandora), and Pandora destroys Slacker in terms of content if you use the full PC version to thoroughly manage and customize stations.

Slacker may be a better out-of-the-box solution, and caching is sweet, but I lean far more towards Pandora since I have great stations made already and it doesn't lag. In town I don't need caching anyway. My phone's always charging and my signal's good enough throughout most of my city that dropouts are rare. On top of that, Slacker is unnecessarily bloated. I haven't reinstalled it after my last two OS changes, and I don't miss it.
    05-05-09 04:13 AM
    For me Slacker is better at work since I have stations that are cached (Pandora desktop is blocked by my employer). Pandora doesn't work well because I can barely get a signal and there is no wi-fi. But, at home and anywhere else I love Pandora. I mostly love Slacker because of the caching feature and listening to the COMEDY channel. I know they hate me at work!
    05-05-09 08:43 AM
    Pandora desktop is blocked by my employer
    :-O Surely that's grounds for some kind of lawsuit!!!

05-05-09 03:48 PM
    Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Slacker is too sluggish...making controlling the player awkward and I'm sure it drops multitasking to a crawl. I couldn't care less about caching(spelling?). The audio does seem a little better with Slacker although the trade off seems to be longer buffers between the songs.

Pandora is a nice clean responsive app...easy to control..buffers very fast...starts up playing right where you left off.

Huge problem(for now anyway) is that with the latest version of Pandora there is a problem with using the audio via BT heat set(for me anyway).

The audio and lyrics are either 2x faster or slower than should be.

I hope they fix this quickly because I was really liking the previous version.
    05-05-09 04:58 PM
    What about nobex radio on a BB curve8330? Is slacker or Pandora a better choice?
    05-06-09 01:26 AM
    Nobex isn't really the same category. Nobex is for listening to actual radio stations. Pandora/slacker are about requesting songs and creating your own stations.

05-06-09 01:44 AM
    wow, I must have a blessed Bold, I have both Pandora and Slacker and I prefer Pandora. It loads faster, changes songs faster, and has great sound quality. I got rid of my XM radio because of Pandora. I just reinstalled slacker back onto my Bold and it takes soo much longer to load and to pull a station of the bands I choose compared to Pandora...just my 2 cents
    05-06-09 11:35 AM
    Hello! Well I downloaded that Pandora to my BB 8320 for T-Mobile, and I did the steps. With the Apn and it says "Save" but, how do you do that???

05-06-09 07:14 PM
    I like both but i would probably lean a little more towards Pandora because its fast and Slacker lags a lil
    05-07-09 03:09 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD