I play poker for a living, both tournament and cash games. When I'm playing a tournament (about 60% of my time at the tables is engaged in tournament play), I listen to music using an iPod, like a lot of people.

Now, I've just discovered Pandora. And I love it, for a lot of reasons. BUT, I'm curious about battery life on my device. Meaning, will the stock battery on my Tour, running 4.7, allow me to listen to Pandora while playing without killing the battery and making my device useless without a recharge in a couple hours?

So, is it advisable to ditch the iPod? Or will Pandora suck up so much juice on my BB that it's not really worth it?
    12-08-09 12:53 PM
    Use Slacker instead then.

Pre-cache the songs from a PC, that way you don't have to stream them. One of the major advantages to slacker because streaming is a major battery drain.
    12-08-09 12:55 PM
    Use Slacker instead then.

Pre-cache the songs from a PC, that way you don't have to stream them. One of the major advantages to slacker because streaming is a major battery drain.

Which is one of the reasons I like Pandora. No pre-caching. I plug in an artist's name, and pow, it makes it's own playlist for me, and so far, it's been really good.

I guess the major question is, how much battery life can I reasonably expect from a stock battery on my Tour using Pandora?
    12-08-09 01:23 PM

I guess the major question is, how much battery life can I reasonably expect from a stock battery on my Tour using Pandora?
    Caching is not a negative though... and it's optional, not required. If you pre-cache some data you can still stream un-cached data if you want.

There is no solid answer because streaming is heavily signal dependent and you're likely using the phone indoors with an unknown signal reliability.
    12-08-09 01:55 PM
    i listen to it at work and for that reason i got the dock.

it'd kill my battery after about 4-5 hours of listening. i'd bring a fully charged phone to work and by the end of the day i'd be on the red bar.

so if you're gonna go for 3+ hours of streaming you might as well keep your ipod.

So, is it advisable to ditch the iPod? Or will Pandora suck up so much juice on my BB that it's not really worth it?[/B]
    12-08-09 02:58 PM
    I agree with the idea that Pandora enjoys a thirsty feast on your battery juice. You may want to try CaseMate's Feul Case, which has a builit-in battery recharger on it, or a Seidio extended battery, both of which can give you significantly greater battery life than the stock battery. I usually have the phone plugged into the charger when I use Pandora, except for times when I am away from the charger. I have found that Pandora and other streaming audio programs do eat the battery life quite a bit.
    12-08-09 05:20 PM
    I have the Pandora app on my 9630 which i have synced via cable cord to my Kenwood excelon headunit....Better than Ipod & sattelite.. The **** with Sirius!!!!!
    12-08-09 06:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD