Does this app use alot of data?
    04-14-09 12:06 PM
    Pandora DL'ed without issue to my Storm, and I was able to access my Pandora account without issue. However, unlike the desktop version, this BBerry version (at least for me) stops after each song and I have to hit the >>l button to advance to the next song. There is no continuous play.
    Further, the song timer is not working, it reads 5:01 for each song and does not mark any time (no biggie, but noted).
    Is anyone else experiencing this? Any proposed fixes?
    Thanks in advance.
    04-14-09 12:06 PM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

I'm having the same issue-only one song will play without manually advancing to next song.

04-14-09 12:13 PM
    deleted slacker after using pandora for a while today. my app memory has been rock solid w/ this app. its been over 40 mb all morning and is sitting at 43.5 as we speak. have been listening for over 2 hours.
    04-14-09 12:17 PM
    Per my prior post above, the continuous reply issue was resolved by logging off Pandora, then upon logging on again, the continuous play worked as it is supposed to. Timer also works.
    Probably more anecdotal than a "fix". . .
    04-14-09 12:53 PM
    Thanks for all of your positive feedback!

I'll try to answer a few questions that have popped up in this thread so far. If I haven't answered your question or you are having problems connecting, please don't hesitate to email pandora-support @ pandora.com and they will be happy to assist you.

works awesome..a lot better then iphone in terms of streaming w/o cutting out and breaking up ...but is there a way to edit your stations ie. add or delete songs or artists that seed a station?
    Not at this time - our goal with the mobile versions of Pandora is to keep the UI as clean and simple and easy to use as possible. You can create new single-seeded stations and give thumb feedback, but any other station editing (adding new seeds, etc.) you will need to use the Flash version on our website.

I already dl'ed and installed. It loaded my account and stations with ease. And initial impressions seem to show much faster load times for songs and better sound quality over Slacker Radio. If Pandora implements cacheing of stations then I might switch to using this exclusively. I am very impressed with it thus far. It really looks sharp on the Storm.
    Our license is different than Slacker, and only allows us to stream audio - no physical storage allowed. That said, we do buffer as much of the current song as possible in memory and we do start to pre-load the next song when the current song is getting near the end. So if you don't hit the skip or thumb-down buttons, there should be no gap between songs.

Just downloaded it. It's very smexy. Only issue is the same thing that ppl have been saying. When you get an alert, the song starts over.
    This shouldn't happen - can you let me know what OS version you are using? Can you try doing a battery pull to see if it fixes the problem?

I tried it last night and and found I could only get music in mono, so I switched to Slacker. My phone was flipping between 1X and 1XEV, so I suspect that Pandora may have automatically adjusted the quality downward to assure a reliable feed. I will test it at work when I have a faster data connection.
    We currently use a fixed stream rate (40k) no matter what your connection speed.

Great App. Running very smooth on my .75 Storm. Gave me the option to sign in and uploaded my stations. Audio quality is great (a little better than Slacker IMO). No breaks in the stream unless I receive an alert then the song pauses for a moment and returns to where it left off (song did not restart for me). I checked Pandora's site and they still don't show as available for the Storm so thank you OP (swahba), this is exactly why I love CrackBerry Nation, we seem to know before everyone else. I'm surprised Kevin or Bla1ze hasn't put this up on the featured post.
    If you want the latest Pandora news just follow @pandora_radio on Twitter - Lucia is usually very good at dishing out the new stuff as soon as it's released.

Seems split between those who think it sounds fine and those who think it sounds over-compressed. My guess is that the fast song load speed over Slacker is indicative of small file size and hence, over-compression.

Just to be honest, I'm no crazy audio-phile who can take apart a songs many layers. So for me to say that the difference is like night and day says a lot. Pandora's sound is very, very mushy with no highs and no bass. Maybe it's just easier to tell with my Nforce IEM's but I can't ignore it.
    Audio quality is definitely subjective - some people love the current sound and some people don't. While I don't want to speculate on the future or promise new features, we do have a number of bitrates and encoding formats available for use which we are experimenting with. Of course, there's always tradeoffs - more advanced (but better sounding) codecs such as AACPlus use up a lot more battery power than AAC, for example.

Does this app use alot of data?
    Yes! Do be sure that you have an unlimited data plan...

Hope this answers a few of your questions! I'll keep an eye on this forum for anything else that might come up, but once again please don't hesitate to email pandora-support @ pandora.com for additional support.

Oh, and I guess I need to post a few more times before I can respond to PMs on this forum.

Marc @ Pandora
    04-14-09 01:02 PM
    Thanks for all of your positive feedback!

I'll try to answer a few questions that have popped up in this thread so far. If I haven't answered your question or you are having problems connecting, please don't hesitate to email pandora-support @ pandora.com and they will be happy to assist you.

Not at this time - our goal with the mobile versions of Pandora is to keep the UI as clean and simple and easy to use as possible. You can create new single-seeded stations and give thumb feedback, but any other station editing (adding new seeds, etc.) you will need to use the Flash version on our website.

Our license is different than Slacker, and only allows us to stream audio - no physical storage allowed. That said, we do buffer as much of the current song as possible in memory and we do start to pre-load the next song when the current song is getting near the end. So if you don't hit the skip or thumb-down buttons, there should be no gap between songs.

This shouldn't happen - can you let me know what OS version you are using? Can you try doing a battery pull to see if it fixes the problem?

We currently use a fixed stream rate (40k) no matter what your connection speed.

If you want the latest Pandora news just follow @pandora_radio on Twitter - Lucia is usually very good at dishing out the new stuff as soon as it's released.

Audio quality is definitely subjective - some people love the current sound and some people don't. While I don't want to speculate on the future or promise new features, we do have a number of bitrates and encoding formats available for use which we are experimenting with. Of course, there's always tradeoffs - more advanced (but better sounding) codecs such as AACPlus use up a lot more battery power than AAC, for example.

Yes! Do be sure that you have an unlimited data plan...

Hope this answers a few of your questions! I'll keep an eye on this forum for anything else that might come up, but once again please don't hesitate to email pandora-support @ pandora.com for additional support.

Oh, and I guess I need to post a few more times before I can respond to PMs on this forum.

Marc @ Pandora
    Any premium version to remove the advertisements?
    04-14-09 01:21 PM
    Listened to Pandora and Slacker side by side on my Storm and Slacker sounds WAY better! This probably explains why kids ditch Slacker - the harsh and grainy Pandora sound should work so well for pop punk and emo! Also, the sound level varies wildly between songs on Pandora, but much of today's mainstream music is so heavily compressed that it is not a big problem for listeners of those genres... Bothers me though. I am keeping Pandora on the phone, but I'll be listening to Slacker! BTW, I am a long time desktop Pandora user.
    04-14-09 01:46 PM
    There is no doubt that the sound is in mono. I don't remember this being the case on the PC version and it is not the case with any of the other streaming apps (e.g Slacker). Is this a bug (firmware or pandora)? If not, I'm bummed. It is a deal-breaker for me.
    04-14-09 01:48 PM
    I am loving Pandora so far and I'm so happy the mobile version works in Canada!
    Not sure how you got yours to work in Canada, but I get a big message saying 'Sorry, Pandora is not available in this country'

04-14-09 01:49 PM
    Goodbye Slacker!
    04-14-09 01:54 PM
    Any premium version to remove the advertisements?
    Yes - if you become a paid subscriber ($36 per year), you will never see or hear an add on the website or on any of the mobile apps. Info on subscriptions is available on our FAQ: FAQ

Marc @ Pandora
    04-14-09 01:57 PM
    so happy this finally came out. been listening on a comp at work, and glad that i can now get it anywhere!

although pandora still doesn't list the storm as being supported on the download page.
    Last edited by skeletallightning; 04-14-09 at 02:01 PM.
    04-14-09 01:59 PM
    Am I missing something, is there no way to read album and artist bios?
    04-14-09 02:01 PM
    Am I missing something, is there no way to read album and artist bios?
    Not yet - the BlackBerry app is still quite new and our focus is on playing music. Even the iPhone app took a little while before having album and artist bios.

Marc @ Pandora
    04-14-09 02:11 PM
    Today is a great day. I finally have Pandora for my Storm. I use Pandora on my Laptop all the time. So much better than Slacker. The caching of Slacker is great but with as much as I change OSs, it was a pain. Having to reload all my cached stations everythime. Pandora is great if you have a specific artist you like. It is really good at matching them up. Slacker will now be deleted to save app memory.
    04-14-09 02:21 PM
    Is anyone else having problems loading pandora onto their phone with an updated OS of .122?
    04-14-09 02:37 PM
    Now I have Pandora and iHeartRadio... soFAB!
    04-14-09 02:38 PM
    Loaded fine - Log in was fine. Song pauses when an alert comes in, but then continues. Running OS .75
    04-14-09 02:45 PM
    I have had slacker iheartradio and pandora and pandora is my favorite.
    Slacker was nice but it really drained my battery life and it ran out of songs
    Very quickly.

04-14-09 02:58 PM
    Pandora definitely doesn't play stereo. Slacker has it beat hands down as far as sound quality and function is concerned. I will stay with Slacker until Pandora has improved significantly from where it is today.
    04-14-09 03:12 PM
    I tried it last night and and found I could only get music in mono, so I switched to Slacker. My phone was flipping between 1X and 1XEV, so I suspect that Pandora may have automatically adjusted the quality downward to assure a reliable feed. I will test it at work when I have a faster data connection.
    Again, I'm no audio-phile but I can tell when something sounds mushy and when something sounds like it has expansive dynamic range. Pandora has a problem in this area compared with Slacker and so I asked what the file compression is and I received an answer.

Pandora's stream is 40k AAC mono for BlackBerry's. They said this is the limit of what the carriers allowed them and is a compromise solution to optimize speed and battery drain. They are experimenting with higher quality audio.

In comparison, Slacker uses 40k HE-AAC v2 which per wikipedia "HE-AAC version 2 (HE-AAC v2) couples SBR with Parametric Stereo (PS) to enhance the compression efficiency of stereo signals."

So in the very least I garnered that Pandora = Mono and Slacker = Stereo. I know that audio quality is subjective but is it that hard to hear the difference guys?
    04-14-09 03:20 PM
    Song restarts when alerts go off on the phone. Running the 5.0/122 Hybrid.
    04-14-09 03:22 PM
    Why Is It Not Working For Me? I Go To The Site Enter My Number And Sends Me A Link Back To The Site! What Gives!!!!!!!!!!
    04-14-09 03:25 PM
    I prefer Slacker since I have a premium membership The caching is great too when I'm out of range.

Quality is far superior when listening with my ATH-A900s
    04-14-09 03:28 PM
342 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD