Was listening to Pandora on my work PC just now and decided to check the BB link on a whim. Much to my surprise, it was available. Obviously, this is old news already. I will d/l it after work to see if its as good on the Storm as on my desktop at work. I tried Slacker and wasn't impreseed. Uninstalled it after using it about a week. Hopefully this will be better.
    04-17-09 10:33 AM
    i like the pandora program but it needs more work.
    1) i hit save to bookmarks but theres no way to access bookmarks.
    2) creating a station based on a artist or song is ok but why no genre options? i like in slacker where i can hit rock and have multiple genres to choose from. surprised they didnt put that in there.
    3)limited options in general. not really much to mess with.straightfoward program. i like that though. interface is easy.

other than that i like the program, just wanna see some more stuff added to it.
    04-17-09 04:14 PM
    i like the pandora program but it needs more work.
    1) i hit save to bookmarks but theres no way to access bookmarks.
    2) creating a station based on a artist or song is ok but why no genre options? i like in slacker where i can hit rock and have multiple genres to choose from. surprised they didnt put that in there.
    3)limited options in general. not really much to mess with.straightfoward program. i like that though. interface is easy.

other than that i like the program, just wanna see some more stuff added to it.
    The functionality of the current BlackBerry client is quite basic compared to more mature mobile apps such as our iPhone app, but there are ways around this:

1) You can access your bookmarks on a regular computer by going to http://www.pandora.com/people/

2) You can access pre-made genre stations from Pandora on your desktop using the "Genre Stations" extra below the main player

Thanks!

Marc @ Pandora
    04-17-09 04:37 PM
    Unfortunately, it looks like Pandora only supports the 9530 and not the 9500
    04-17-09 04:49 PM
    Looking forward to trying this as I listen to Pandora all day long at work :-)
    04-17-09 06:45 PM
    i noticed that while using pandora, if i get a call/email/text, the music pauses and then restarts the entire song instead of picking up where it left off. Is this a known issue?
    04-17-09 09:51 PM
    Pandora seems very good - stereo would be nice. I also have norbex - i like the local radio stations.
    04-17-09 10:01 PM
    If I use this application a lot will it put me past my 5 gb cap on my blackberry plan. My plan supposedly says its unlimited but I have read in a few posts about using my berry as a modem(tethering), would actually exceed the plans limits. Any input is greatly appreciated because I wasn't even thinking of this all week and I have been running it at least 4hrs a day.
    Last edited by RideRedMX; 04-18-09 at 12:16 AM.
    04-18-09 12:01 AM
    The functionality of the current BlackBerry client is quite basic compared to more mature mobile apps such as our iPhone app, but there are ways around this:

1) You can access your bookmarks on a regular computer by going to Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music

2) You can access pre-made genre stations from Pandora on your desktop using the "Genre Stations" extra below the main player

Thanks!

Marc @ Pandora
    cool thnx for the info.
    04-18-09 01:31 AM
    ATT USERS PLEASE COME FORWARD.
    If there are any ATT users who are able to get Pandora to work on your phone please get with Marc and let him know what your settings are. We have been working with my phone to figure out an issue and are unable to resolve this. We still arent sure if its just my phone acting up or if it may be all ATT users.
    04-18-09 02:37 AM
    Great Program
    04-18-09 04:03 AM
    i noticed that while using pandora, if i get a call/email/text, the music pauses and then restarts the entire song instead of picking up where it left off. Is this a known issue?
    Yes, we've heard of similar incidents and we're investigating. One workaround that I think has been reported is to put your phone on silent (or maybe vibe-only?) so that it doesn't make a system alert sound. Not very convenient, but at least it's something.

If I use this application a lot will it put me past my 5 gb cap on my blackberry plan. My plan supposedly says its unlimited but I have read in a few posts about using my berry as a modem(tethering), would actually exceed the plans limits. Any input is greatly appreciated because I wasn't even thinking of this all week and I have been running it at least 4hrs a day.
    If you're on an "unlimited" data plan then you should be safe. Our app only uses HTTP and HTTPS communications, so its data usage is usually classified as "web". That said, I'd suggest giving your mobile provider a call just to double check. If you're on an old grandfathered plan, it might need to be updated to a modern unlimited plan.

ATT USERS PLEASE COME FORWARD.
    If there are any ATT users who are able to get Pandora to work on your phone please get with Marc and let him know what your settings are. We have been working with my phone to figure out an issue and are unable to resolve this. We still arent sure if its just my phone acting up or if it may be all ATT users.
    Specifically, I'm interested to hear if anyone using a Storm on AT&T has had success running Pandora. This isn't a supported configuration (by Pandora or the carrier) but I'm curious to see if it does work for anyone else (flashman03 has had no luck).
    04-19-09 01:17 AM
    Marc @ Pandora,

I find myself in the "Slacker" camp thus far after my initial explorations into the Pandora application.

I just wanted to say though that the fact that you are actually perusing these forums and responding to customer questions counts BIG in my mind. Whilst "Stereo" music is a big thing for me (I use a wired headset 99.9% of the time when I listen to streamed audio), your interest in and support of the Blackberry Storm will keep my tentative-toe in the Pandora camp

Bravo! For a great music application and for supporting the Blackberry Storm community

Onward, to great success!

- Ray
    04-19-09 03:32 AM
    +1

Marc - coming from the Slacker Camp - to me Pandora wins - hands down. But Mono (even though it sounds really good for mono) is a showstopper.

Marc @ Pandora,

I find myself in the "Slacker" camp thus far after my initial explorations into the Pandora application.

I just wanted to say though that the fact that you are actually perusing these forums and responding to customer questions counts BIG in my mind. Whilst "Stereo" music is a big thing for me (I use a wired headset 99.9% of the time when I listen to streamed audio), your interest in and support of the Blackberry Storm will keep my tentative-toe in the Pandora camp

Bravo! For a great music application and for supporting the Blackberry Storm community

Onward, to great success!

- Ray
    04-19-09 08:31 AM
    This is an awesome application. Easy to use, looks nice. I deleted Slacker yesterday after playing around with Pandora. I also created my stations on the laptop version yesterday and I love how it was able to choose songs that complimented the station I was trying to create. In comparing the sound quality, it seems to me that Pandora and Slacker both sound slightly the same (but my hearing can be a little off though). The only thing that's a little annoying in the phone version of Pandora is the Dockers ads that pop up.
    04-19-09 10:04 AM
    Question, what am I doing wrong? I loaded pandora let's me enter stations and then it plays and on the main screen it won't let me go forward, go back to stations or nothing, i have to wait for the song to wait???? when I click on pause or forward the main menu comes out to close or why this song etc....help??
    04-19-09 11:16 AM
    I WANT IT IN CANADA. UGH WTF COPYRIGHT ISSUESSSSSSSSSSSS
    Lucky bastards in the US always get the goodstuff.
    04-19-09 08:00 PM
    Question, what am I doing wrong? I loaded pandora let's me enter stations and then it plays and on the main screen it won't let me go forward, go back to stations or nothing, i have to wait for the song to wait???? when I click on pause or forward the main menu comes out to close or why this song etc....help??
    Hmm, that does sound strange. Could the application somehow be running in "compatibility mode"? In other words, when it runs is there a keyboard on the bottom half of the screen that won't go away, with a blue border around the application on the top half?

Marc @ Pandora
    04-19-09 11:38 PM
    Marc @ Pandora,

Why is it that my wifes iPhone (unlocked to work on T-Mobile) can run a clean stereo sound and even do it with the "high sound quality" turned off? Her phone will even continue to stream Pandora on a slow GPRS internet connection without cutting out. My BlackBerry 8900 has a lower sound quality, is in mono, and cannot stream at anything less than EDGE? With mine on GPRS it constantly stops and buffers.
    Seems strange that the iPhone can do stereo, better sound quality (even with the low quality setting), and maintain a stream with a slow GPRS connection!
    Any idea what is going on here?
    04-20-09 12:07 AM
    Marc @ Pandora,

Why is it that my wifes iPhone (unlocked to work on T-Mobile) can run a clean stereo sound and even do it with the "high sound quality" turned off? Her phone will even continue to stream Pandora on a slow GPRS internet connection without cutting out. My BlackBerry 8900 has a lower sound quality, is in mono, and cannot stream at anything less than EDGE? With mine on GPRS it constantly stops and buffers.
    Seems strange that the iPhone can do stereo, better sound quality (even with the low quality setting), and maintain a stream with a slow GPRS connection!
    Any idea what is going on here?
    There may be a few factors that contribute to this difference:

1) Actual data transfer speeds between the devices may vary - you may want to try running a speed test on both devices using something like Xtreme Labs Inc. — Applications - I'd be interested to see the comparison

2) The "low-quality" stream on iPhone uses a lower bitrate than the current stream used by BlackBerry (32k vs. 40k), at least on iPhones with the latest firmware that supports AAC-HE.

Like I mentioned in previous posts, we're still experimenting with the AAC-HE stereo stream on the BlackBerry and we're hoping to add it as an option at some point in the future. I'll be sure to post a new thread on this forum when this happens, as I'm sure many people here will rejoice.

I am a bit concerned that your 8900 can't even keep up with a 40k audio stream - even with a "moderate" signal level, this data rate should be no problem for the network. You may want to contact T-Mobile to make sure everything is set up correctly with your account (or maybe have them check out your phone)

Marc @ Pandora
    04-20-09 01:04 AM
    Hi Marc, Actually the BlackBerry 8900 runs just fine on an EDGE connection. It just stops and buffers on a slower GPRS connection. The iPhone does not. It is running 2.2 BTW. Maybe with the slow data capability of GPRS, the extra 8k makes a difference. I have tried it in several locations where T-Mo only has GPRS and the result is the same. Both the iPhone and my BlackBerry are using the epc.tmobile APN.
    I will try running a speed test as you suggest. BTW, what speed does the good sound quality setting on the iPhone run at?
    Last edited by kalbri; 04-20-09 at 09:35 AM.
    04-20-09 02:21 AM
    Marc @ Pandora

Been running the application a few days now. Couple of things i have noticed. It seems to take a significantly stronger signal to start the application than to keep it running after it has started. It works just fine with the pause of music for an email or sms message alert, but restarts the song when i get a call or a missed call alert.
    04-20-09 07:53 AM
    There may be a few factors that contribute to this difference:

1) Actual data transfer speeds between the devices may vary - you may want to try running a speed test on both devices using something like Xtreme Labs Inc. — Applications - I'd be interested to see the comparison

Marc @ Pandora

Hi Marc,

I installed the speedtest app on both phones and ran several tests this morning. All I can say is WOW!!

The iPhone on EDGE runs around 190k-205k in the four tests I ran.
    The BlackBerry 8900 runs around 75k-90k in four tests also.

The tests were done at the same time with both phones side by side.

Kyle
    04-20-09 11:00 AM
    I tried same test on my storm an avg.138 for 4 test's
    04-20-09 11:22 AM
    Hey Marc,

Thanks for the link for the speed test. Getting 150/301/294/162kbps. - all from the same place

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Philly-Sports; 04-20-09 at 11:36 AM.
    04-20-09 11:33 AM
342 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD