I'm fairly new to BB,but I've used both of these apps a little. I have to admit that I've been using pandora for about 18 months prior to getting my first smartphone, but I like the interface a little better. Maybe I'm just used to it. Slacker has the cached stations but I don't really need this as I don't travel often, or use a subway. I guess I'm just curious which one people use and why. Or are there any other similar apps people like that I'm unaware of?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by happyjacked; 03-09-10 at 12:05 AM.
    03-08-10 11:58 PM
    Slacker. it has a much larger collection of music.
    03-09-10 12:07 AM
    plus the new version of Slacker allows caching of stations. so you can listen to music even without service or a wifi connection
    03-09-10 12:07 AM
    Do you really believe the selection is that much better? I don't listen to what most people would consider "popular" music but I have never had pandora not find what I was looking for outside of some local unsigned bands which I didn't really expect to find in the first place.

03-09-10 12:15 AM
    Slacker/caching is not just good for traveling and riding a subway.... the main reason I prefer playing cached stations is to save my battery... I can play a cached station for 2 hours straight and barely make my battery meter move at all, try that with Pandora and see what happens.
    03-09-10 08:35 AM
    Slacker, mainly because I would rather not listen to staions that only play music by one artist/band like Pandora does. That would get very repetetive and boring.
    03-09-10 09:21 AM
    Slacker, mainly because I would rather not listen to staions that only play music by one artist/band like Pandora does. That would get very repetetive and boring.
    I'm not sure if you've used pandora, but that's not the case. They do play other artists/songs similar to the station you create.

I guess I will give slacker another shot as people seem to like it, but I'm not sure that it's better for me.

03-09-10 09:30 AM
    I'm not sure if you've used pandora, but that's not the case. They do play other artists/songs similar to the station you create.

I guess I will give slacker another shot as people seem to like it, but I'm not sure that it's better for me.

I'm lazy, so I don't know if I want to take time to create stations I might give it a try one of these days though to filter out all the artists I don't want to listen to.
    03-09-10 09:42 AM
    Pandora, bar none.

03-09-10 09:45 AM
    Slacker. it has a much larger collection of music.
    I would assume it's what kind of music, but as far as dance/electronica, they don't seem to have a lot of artists. Pandora seems to beat them in this area.
    03-09-10 10:24 AM
    there are so many threads on this very topic... why not just install them both? You don't have to choose between the two, right?
    03-09-10 10:29 AM
    Pandora since I haven't tried Slacker.
    03-09-10 10:37 AM
    I prefer Slacker.
    03-09-10 10:57 AM
    I use pandora and I love it. I may try slacker sometime just to compare the two though.
    03-09-10 11:03 AM
    Pandora FTW, listen on your device, or log in from your PC, or laptop, giving you access to your stations you can create or delete, and then listen...and theres not that annoying "your listening to slacker radio" junk like the "other" app...
    03-09-10 11:10 AM
    plus the new version of Slacker allows caching of stations. so you can listen to music even without service or a wifi connection
    Ummmm, the old/2.0 version of Slacker has caching and it's still FREE, been using since Feb. of last year, the 3.0 gives a 7 day free trial with the caching and then it's paid subscription if you want to continue to cache.
    03-10-10 06:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD