nice and mine too.... here we go again....

I think I made a valid point....
    08-05-09 11:12 AM
    nice and mine too.... here we go again....

I think I made a valid point....
    its unfortunate that a couple of valid posts were removed, there were some that should have been dont get me wrong but, oh well. point is if you get an aircard or a bb, when you sign your contract, read it. The TOS is very clear about the 5gb soft cap on bb data plan, basically there because they know that tetherberry and programs like it exist, its how they keep the bandwidth from being destroyed but 1.5mil people using tetherberry(number is exaggeration)
    08-05-09 11:44 AM
    I'll tell you exactly how the carriers have it setup.

Using a BB standalone, the BW is "unlimited"+softcap. The reason is because they know you'll never use 5GB of data by browsing on the handheld itself. Go over and you still get data, but very slow.

The moment you add tether to your plan, or an aircard, you now have a 5GB cap, plain and simple. Go over and you will be charged for that overage.

5GB cap != "unlimited" 5GB softcap, they are 2 different things.
    08-05-09 11:49 AM
    Hey guys, thanks for all of your support so far. I am going to call VZW later today after I get off work at 3 and get this straightened out.

I looked into my bill details and I DID go over my SMS/MMS limit but only got charged $8.30 for it. WHere I got charged the big bucks was in my Megabyte usage. It says I have no allowance of Megabytes and I used 102 MB 6/29-7/06. However, right above my Megabyte usage is my Kilobyte usage. It says I have unlimited kilobyte allowance and I used 337,000 last month. Wouldn't 337,000 Kb be 337 Mb's or is my math wrong? How can I have unlimited kilobyte usage but not unlimited megabyte usage? I'm confused. I'm not even close to the 5 GB limit and my minutes are fine. All I have done is browse the web and played Pandora at work for 3-4 hours 4 days a week so it is the only thing I can think of that would be using this data I should not be charged for. Let's hope VZW can straighten this all out when I call them. Wish me luck!
    Last edited by gniss39; 08-05-09 at 11:55 AM.
    08-05-09 11:51 AM
    when referring to bandwidth, it's divisible by 8.

so 337000 / 8 = roughly 420MB of data.

Yah, I'm not sure how they classify KB as unlimited by MB isnt..that makes no sense, because you'll eventually step into the MB usage eventually.

It's like saying you can have unlimited single digit bw, but go into the double digits and you pay. Makes no sense.
    Last edited by sniffs; 08-05-09 at 11:58 AM.
    08-05-09 11:54 AM
    when referring to bandwidth, it's divisible by 8.

so 337000 / 8 = roughly 420MB of data.

Yah, I'm not sure how they classify KB as unlimited by MB isnt..that makes no sense, because you'll eventually step into the MB usage eventually.

It's like saying you can have unlimited single digit bw, but go into the double digits and you pay. Makes no sense.
    not flaming you but if you have 337000 kb you divide it by 1024 not 8

so i fyou have 337000KB/1024=329.10MB
    08-05-09 12:01 PM
    not flaming you but if you have 337000 kb you divide it by 1024 not 8

so i fyou have 337000KB/1024=329.10MB
    Whoops.. I was thinking about BW speeds, not actual data.
    08-05-09 12:25 PM
    Whoops.. I was thinking about BW speeds, not actual data.
    its cool just figured i would correct it before we need full out flame suits
    08-05-09 12:27 PM
    Yes I deleted 1 of my own posts and edited another to include the general warning. Yes some somewhat "innocent" posts were also removed because they quoted the argument. I just took the whole argument out. My apologies to those innocent posts.
    08-05-09 12:34 PM
    its cool just figured i would correct it before we need full out flame suits
    I don't flame or rarely get mad.. my philosophy on the internet is, (and it's not mine, but i follow it)

I'll quote:

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Regardless if you win or lose, you're still ret**ded"

but back on topic. OP, call VZ, they should be able to sort things out.
    08-05-09 12:37 PM
    I just have a question.

Because I am a Canadian user .. for Pandora..
    I just enter 90210 as the ZIP code rofl, but yes,

Will I get charged by my carrier Telus for using Pandora because its not available for Canadians? Just need a heads up to see if I should use it or not.. lol t

THanks in advance.
    08-05-09 01:15 PM
    I just have a question.

Will I get charged by my carrier Telus for using Pandora because its not available for Canadians? Just need a heads up to see if I should use it or not.. lol t

THanks in advance.
    You actually might be breaking the law.. like downloading illegal MP3's n such. The reason it's not available in Canada isn't because they say "no canadians eh!" just to be a$$es.. it's due to either laws of your Government, or tarrifs/licenses that aren't being paid.
    08-05-09 01:22 PM
    I just have a question.

THanks in advance.
    as long as you have a data plan I wouldnt see why you would
    08-05-09 01:22 PM
    I just have a question.
    THanks in advance.
    What !. Beverly Hills and not Hollywood?or Malibu?

I would not think they would know you where using Pandora , just using data but thats just my guess on the pandora question.
    08-05-09 01:32 PM
    hmm i got my tour on release day 7/12, and so far have used (according to myverizon) close to 4.6GB just by streaming pandora/slacker and normal other usage... hmm and this 4.6 was last updated yesterday and i forgot pandora on overnight cause i got drunk... when i hit 5gb will it go ridiculously slow??
    08-05-09 03:17 PM
    VZW definitely slipped you a mickey...
    08-05-09 03:21 PM
    Well I called VZW today and got the data charges voided. Here's the story:

At the beginning of July my friend and I switched phones for a week cause my friended wanted to try out a BB before buying one. He had a LG chocolate and I have my 8330 curve. So after the week is over and we switch back I play Pandora on my BB later on that same day. Turns out when you switch phones the data plans don't take effect until the next day. So when I was playing Pandora the day we switched back phones all the data was getting charged as if I didn't have a data plan which I didn't while I had my Chocolate.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. I'm just excited I got my money back! Moral of the story: don't trade phones with a friend especially if they don't have a BB. The charges had nothing to do with the BB data plan. It is unlimited and I'm gonna reinstall Pandora on my BB and bump it the rest of the day to celebrate!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 05:28 PM
    Ahhh that makes sense now...

Glad to hear that you got it worked out!
    08-05-09 09:05 PM
    Lol thanks for the response guys. Ill test it out and see if I get charged or not lol

08-05-09 09:08 PM
    Sweet... Glad you got it all figured out .

08-05-09 09:32 PM
    08-05-09 09:49 PM
    Well I called VZW today and got the data charges voided. Here's the story (snip)
    Hope that wasn't too confusing. I'm just excited I got my money back! Moral of the story: don't trade phones with a friend especially if they don't have a BB. The charges had nothing to do with the BB data plan. It is unlimited and I'm gonna reinstall Pandora on my BB and bump it the rest of the day to celebrate!!
    Cool, you got your money back too.

Sighx:Lol thanks for the response guys. Ill test it out and see if I get charged or not lol
    LOL ok test it out,so you gunno update this thread if they (do/or don't charge)and let everyone know as well
    Last edited by DavidNC; 08-06-09 at 04:36 AM.
    08-06-09 04:24 AM
    Well, so far I've used it for about a good 20 - 30 minutes constantly.. I checked up my data usage the other day on the website and it said it hadn't charged anything. I'm assuming I'm clear, but I'll test it out a bit longer and see
    08-07-09 12:09 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD